The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1080
Original post by Kevmeister
Linked to Barton in the Sunday Times, he's not a bad player but still............

He played for City it seems unlikely... but SAF could get the best out of him, and he would give our midfield a bit of bite. However I'd rather we get Scott Parker on loan if that's possible for a year, gives time to find a long term to solution to a midfield.
Original post by VQG
He played for City it seems unlikely... but SAF could get the best out of him, and he would give our midfield a bit of bite. However I'd rather we get Scott Parker on loan if that's possible for a year, gives time to find a long term to solution to a midfield.

Yeh I was thinking Scott Parker would be a great value buy. Our midfield definitely needs that extra oomph and he'd definitely provide it. Just someone to grab the game by the scruff of the neck really.
Definitely do not want Barton however.
Reply 1083
Original post by hayles101

Yeah it's pretty poor to be honest, it's very very obvious that our midfield is crippled, it's been for some years now but with this team we can again win the premier league again, but I'm sorry CL is out of the question as long as Barcelona are in the competition and I'm not sure how we will deal with Madrid, but they are the prime European competitors.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1084
So what happens if Carrick gets injured? We can't expect Giggs to play week in week out. Fletcher will probably miss the start of the season. I'm confident for the premier league, but i can see us losing in away game on narrow pitches which take out the effectiveness of our wingers. E.g. Anfield, Stamford bridge, and well all other premier league pitches apart from Emirates.
I wouldn't be surprised if Fergie signed someone else, the scouts don't stop working just because Fergie thinks the squad is ok. If the right player becomes available then Fergie will move for them......
I have missed every single one of the pre season games live, but from the highlights I don't know whether I can take those commentators for 90mins.

I think SAF is just saying that in case he doesn't get anyone. He'll still be looking, but if he can't get anyone then it look bad if he says the squad is not complete. All second half of the season, people have been talking about Scholes replacement, and even United players have talked about it, he isn't here, so the team isn't complete.
Reply 1087
I'm sure SAF will see how United do in the first 3 games, and if a midfielder is needed he'll buy someone near deadline day, probably for a large fee.

WBA away, Arsenal at OT and who else do United play in August? It'd be a good test to see how they cope.
Reply 1088
Original post by hayles101

Is Fletcher still ill? I've heard something along those lines. And Giggs is 37... So that's just Carrick and Anderson in terms of ever present options for midfield. But even Carrick is getting old now, and there's every chance one of them could get injured. Gibson is crap if we're all honest, plus he still might be being sold? Jones, I don't really have any experience watching him as a midfielder, but experience may be something he also lacks. Cleverley didn't look too amazing when I watched England u21s, but isn't he more of a wide player anyway? That's where England played him. I guess you could say Pogba, I don't know huge amounts about him and the rest of the youth, but I do know they're unlikely to fare well against say Barcelona when even our first choice players can't, so we can forget about Champions League unless someone knocks them out I suppose. We might not even be able to use our 3 man midfield in the CL if we get injuries...

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_7059156,00.html Pastore close to joining Chelsea apparently.
Reply 1089
Would be a concern not just in terms of quality, but quantity as well. Our 4 senior CMs would be Carrick, Fletcher, Anderson and Giggs. Fletch has long term fitness questions going into the season, Giggs is 37, and Anderson has a long history of injuries. 4 is quite a low number anyway when you consider it's probably the most taxing position. I suppose it would mean Park playing centrally more often. Edit- forgot about Cleverley, but hoping for a breakthrough from him would be a bit of an Arsenal thing to do.

But I won't be judging until the transfer window shuts. SAF is hardly a beacon of truth when talking to the media, it could just be a negotiation tactic, or as DF says a way of avoiding a 'failed' summer. If he says 'we are desperate to sign a CM', and then we're unable to find one we want, it sends a negative message to the supporters and the players and a positive one to our opposition.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1090
Original post by Zionic
I'm sure SAF will see how United do in the first 3 games, and if a midfielder is needed he'll buy someone near deadline day, probably for a large fee.

WBA away, Arsenal at OT and who else do United play in August? It'd be a good test to see how they cope.

Spurs, Bolton and Chelsea.
Reply 1091
Original post by VQG
Spurs, Bolton and Chelsea.

I meant in August, you play Bolton and Chelsea in September.

Man City, WBA, Spurs and Arsenal in August will be a good test for united to see if they need a new midfielder or not.

I don't think united need one.
We do need a new midfielder, but I fear as in 09/10 we can avoid CM competition by using the wings, which is great so long as two key players turn up every game.

Giggs cannot be counted as a full season option, he's more of a luxury player. He could get injured at anytime, plus we may see his fitness drop away so 90mins is not an option at full pelt.
Reply 1093
Stop taking Ferguson's comments seriously.

He's very much in the market for a central midfielder, and we will sign a player before the window. Obviously he's no Harry Redknapp and won't reveal his cards.
In other news, loanees Corry Evans and Robbie Brady were part of the Hull team that beat Liverpool comprehensively yesterday. :sogood:
Joey Barton linked to us today was quite funny.
Reply 1096
Original post by Da_hopeful_1
Joey Barton linked to us today was quite funny.

Is it a reliable source though?
Original post by newlife
Is it a reliable source though?

Sunday times. Even if it is reliable, i can't think for a second people would even entertain the idea of Barton at United
Original post by HilariousNinja
Yeh I was thinking Scott Parker would be a great value buy. Our midfield definitely needs that extra oomph and he'd definitely provide it. Just someone to grab the game by the scruff of the neck really.
Definitely do not want Barton however.

Lol, Scott Parker.
Original post by internetstephen
Lol, Scott Parker.

+1

Scott Parker is simply not good enough for us

Latest