Turn on thread page Beta

Chill and get a 2:1 or work hard and get a 1st? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished my 1st semester in my 3rd year

I am averaging a 2:1 in my 2nd year, providing i pass a failed module

I can chill and get a 2:1 overall, or work my ass off, read all the recommended textbooks, prepare for each lecture, ask the lecturers loads of questions, bascially being a geek, miss hockey training and matchs and get a 1st

At the moment, i don't think a 1st would be such a huge advantage over a 2:1?

The work needed to get a 1st, is alot more work then to get a 2:1 even tho, its only 10% more in each module

At the moment, i think i should just chill and get a 2:1

Which would you prefer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guest1984)
    I have just finished my 1st semester in my 3rd year

I am averaging a 2:1 in my 2nd year, providing i pass a failed module

I can chill and get a 2:1 overall, or work my ass off, read all the recommended textbooks, prepare for each lecture, ask the lecturers loads of questions, bascially being a geek, miss hockey training and matchs and get a 1st

At the moment, i don't think a 1st would be such a huge advantage over a 2:1?

The work needed to get a 1st, is alot more work then to get a 2:1 even tho, its only 10% more in each module

At the moment, i think i should just chill and get a 2:1

Which would you prefer?
    I didnt work that hard to get my first, yeah I went to all the lectures and did some heavy revision during exam time, but thats about it. I didn't read all the recommended textbooks I just read the core textbook or sometimes an additional one if the first one wasn't very clear.
    To tell the truth I hardly even went to any of the tutorial lectures although that was a personal preference as I am more of a self learner than a classroom learner, but I still used to have plenty of time for friends, family and going out. I guess it depends on the course and the university, but overall I dont think getting a First is as hard as some people try to make it seem.

In terms of giving you an advantage, well yes and no. If all you have to show for your three years at uni is a First, then it probably is not really worth it. Whereas if you aim for a 2:1 and indulge in societies, sports and other extra curricular activities at university then I would personally recommend the latter.

Remember when you fill in your application form for graduate jobs, There will only be one selection box for your degree result, whereas there will be 5+ essay type questions relating to your extra curricular and work experience activities!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingsComp)
    I didnt work that hard to get my first, yeah I went to all the lectures and did some heavy revision during exam time, but thats about it. I didn't read all the recommended textbooks I just read the core textbook or sometimes an additional one if the first one wasn't very clear.
    To tell the truth I hardly even went to any of the tutorial lectures although that was a personal preference as I am more of a self learner than a classroom learner, but I still used to have plenty of time for friends, family and going out. I guess it depends on the course and the university, but overall I dont think getting a First is as hard as some people try to make it seem.
    Maybe your just VERY intelligent

ReputationRep:
    i find it overwhelming to stop my 2.ii sliding to a third!

ReputationRep:
    OMG! I wish I could 'chill' and get a 2:1, it's what I got in both the 1st and 2nd year, but I had to work sooooo hard to get it! I'm just naturally thick!

If I was you, and you're ok with getting a 2:1 then just get that, but I'd hate for you to look back in a few years time and wish you'd worked that little bit harder to get a 1st.

ReputationRep:
    I was gonna aim for a 1st in my 1st year, as my tutor thought I had the potential and the desire to do so. However, after a load of family problems at the end of my 1st year and a lot of medical issues, i'm now aiming for a 2.1.

I don't think I'll have too many problems if I get that (fingers firmly crossed that I do) compared with if I had managed to get a 1st. You need a work life balance.

ReputationRep:
    It really is a personal thing, but i'm not going to be really happy with anything other than a first tbh. That is not to say I think a 2.1 is bad, because that is still a damned good result, but with all the work I put in a first is a must for me!

ReputationRep:
    What subject are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    Wat Subject are u studying >? !

I Would go for a First always but the choice is yours !

ReputationRep:
    always give it a best shot

there are many people have a 2:1 and you know how competitive it is in the job market.
    depends what you want to do (competitiveness)

I wouldnt just sit back and get an average if i could score higher.
    but of course laziness kicks in
    if you 're clever enugh to just CHILL and get a 2:1, you surely can both enjoy extra cirriculums and gaining a 1st for tiny bit more efforts

ReputationRep:
    you won't the chance of a first again, it's only a few months you'll have to slave and the degree last the rest of your life. there are lot's of 2:1s about so the 1st will give you an extra advantage, plus if you've done lot's of extras in previous years you can write about them on your CV etc

ReputationRep:
    I find it shocking that people don't actually want to achieve the best possible.

I thought that was GCSE tings...

ReputationRep:
    Apparently I'm "scraping a 1st" so far, according to my tutor. But its a bit early to say...

I haven't exactly been working my socks off though, been drinking most of the time :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm aiming for a first, but in order to secure it I have to be at uni from 8am to 8pm studying, lectures, coursework, groupwork, meetings...its worse than a full time job because it doesn't stop at the weekend! :eek: (3rd year engineering course)

ReputationRep:
    Dunno. People are different. I'd chill for 2 terms (ie do **** all work and miss half the lectures). Then I'd almost kill myself working 12+h days and never goign out in the third term/easter to get a first! :-)

On average that was not the 'chilling route' it seems, to get a first you're going to need to put the work in.

As for the question itself, given how damn expensive uni is, why the hell would anyone not want a first????????? I mean, after all, that should be why we're there. And at uni, grades are a function of effort, rarely ability. There is no reason for anyone to get below a first if they're there for the 'right' reason (tiny exaggeration!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gem)
    OMG! I wish I could 'chill' and get a 2:1, it's what I got in both the 1st and 2nd year, but I had to work sooooo hard to get it! I'm just naturally thick!

If I was you, and you're ok with getting a 2:1 then just get that, but I'd hate for you to look back in a few years time and wish you'd worked that little bit harder to get a 1st.
    That's what I'm like too Gem! In the first year I got a 2:2 and last year I got a 2:1. If I end up with a 2:1 I will be completely ecstatic!!

ReputationRep:
    Def go for the 1st. A uni degree may not be all that some people expect it to be and won't necessarily walk you into a job. But throughout your life you have to prove your worth. If you're pretty smart and can get a 1st, go for it and you'll have something that shows you excelled at that level (most people wont return to education again after all).

The old gcse attitude of "i'll get a decent mark, but nothing great," but thinking to yourself that you are great, doesnt mean ****. You need to prove it. Nobody sees how hard/not hard you worked, they only see the outcome and judge you by that piece of paper.*

Good luck.

*This reminds me of an old quote, "a verbal agreement isn't worth the paper its written on!"

ReputationRep:
    I'm on "The Hate List". In capitals.

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Yes chilling and getting a 2:1 is an option and would require pretty minimal effort I would think, however whilst this may be the attitude to take in your 1st year if results don't count towards final degree classification surely if you are capable of getting a 1st you shouldn't even need to ask if you should try for it. I guess it depends on how ambitious you are really.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon, that in your situation that as long as it didn't infringe on any of my social stuff, i.e. I'd just have to cut out any and all lazing about then I'd go for a first. If its going to ruin your university life then don't, but really its your choice and only you can make it .

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.