The Student Room Group

OCR MEI M1 (discussion)

Scroll to see replies

Also, for Q3 (Work out the values of y and z, and the acceleration and magnitude of acceleration? I didnt have a clue! x
:frown:
Original post by hollybee999

How do you work out the last question, it really confused me! x

This is what I did.

Essentially, you needed to treat the trolleys as a whole to find acceleration, using F = ma. Going gown the slope you had the two weights of the trolleys acting downwards, so drawing in the angles that you find 10gsin5 and 8gsin5. Going upwards you have 15N + 5N of resistance. The mass is 10kg + 8kg.

Then, with acceleration you can work out tension using two separate equations, which was acting up the slope for trolley D and down the slope for C.

Here's what I completely forgot to do because I am an idiot!

Once you have acceleration you can substitute into a suvat equation to find velocity after two seconds. s = ?, u = 3 ms-1, v = v ms-1, a = a ms-2 (worked out), t = 2s.

I believe I got 1.41ms-2 for the acceleration, and T = 3.89 N, but I can't swear to that. Had I not been so stupid and forgotten to found the velocity as it asked for in the question, I suppose I would have gotten 5.82ms-1.

Edit: actually that acceleration was for a different question, never mind!
(edited 12 years ago)
Also, for Q3 (Work out the values of y and z, and the acceleration and magnitude of acceleration? I didnt have a clue! x

This is what I think is right.

Because they were parallel, they were proportionate. This means the ratio between -2 and 3 is the same as that between -6 and y, or alternatively the ratio between -2 and -6 is the same as that between 3 and y. I.e. -6/-2 = y/3 or 3/-2 = y/-6. You can then rearrange and form similar equations to find y.

Use F = ma to find acceleration: add vectors up and divide by 5.

Magnitude is the square root of the squares of the vector's components.
Original post by With an Accent
This is what I think is right.

Because they were parallel, they were proportionate. This means the ratio between -2 and 3 is the same as that between -6 and y, or alternatively the ratio between -2 and -6 is the same as that between 3 and y. I.e. -6/-2 = y/3 or 3/-2 = y/-6. You can then rearrange and form similar equations to find y.

Use F = ma to find acceleration: add vectors up and divide by 5.

Magnitude is the square root of the squares of the vector's components.

Yeah I think thats what I did... I got y=9 and z=-12 I think, and the acceleration was x=-1/5 y= -2/5 z=-1. I had a go!

Thanks for the response for the last question - I can honestly not remember what I done for it, but I am hoping that I can get 3-4 marks for it! x
Reply 64
For question 2 on the M1 paper:

It was worth 5 marks, i was wondering how many marks you think i'll get even though i got the answers wrong since i misread v = 22.5m instead of v = 2.25m (annoying i know):

i used s = vt - .5 x a x t^2
i got : a = 89/64ms^-2 Positive Direction (right).
u = -22ms^-1 ... Negative direction (left).

So how many marks do you think i'll get?
3 method marks?

PLEASE REPLY
Reply 65
Original post by With an Accent
This is what I did.

Essentially, you needed to treat the trolleys as a whole to find acceleration, using F = ma. Going gown the slope you had the two weights of the trolleys acting downwards, so drawing in the angles that you find 10gsin5 and 8gsin5. Going upwards you have 15N + 5N of resistance. The mass is 10kg + 8kg.

Then, with acceleration you can work out tension using two separate equations, which was acting up the slope for trolley D and down the slope for C.

Here's what I completely forgot to do because I am an idiot!

Once you have acceleration you can substitute into a suvat equation to find velocity after two seconds. s = ?, u = 3 ms-1, v = v ms-1, a = a ms-2 (worked out), t = 2s.

I believe I got 1.41ms-2 for the acceleration, and T = 3.89 N, but I can't swear to that. Had I not been so stupid and forgotten to found the velocity as it asked for in the question, I suppose I would have gotten 5.82ms-1.

Edit: actually that acceleration was for a different question, never mind!

Similar to me. Although i did everything right, but wrote +20N instead -20N for resistance on both trolleys combined :facepalm: :facepalm: Therefore getting an incorrect value for a and then an incorrect value for V. And subsequently an incorrect value for the force on the coupling :frown:
Reply 66
What I did:
10(9.8)sin5+8(9.8)sin5-20=18a
That gives you a = -0.26ms^-2 as far as I remember.
Therefore using v=u+at => v=3-0.26(2) => v=2.48ms^-2
Original post by joshgoldman
What I did:
10(9.8)sin5+8(9.8)sin5-20=18a
That gives you a = -0.26ms^-2 as far as I remember.
Therefore using v=u+at => v=3-0.26(2) => v=2.48ms^-2

AFAIR that's what I got
Reply 68
Original post by MrDSL
For all of you out there wondering how you got on, the answers to the paper are as follows:-

1) 18.6ms-1
2) u=-1.75ms-1, a=0.125ms-2]
3) y=9, z=-12
a=0.2i - 0.4j -k; magnitude = 1.1ms-1
4i) showing P, R (Normal Reaction) and W
4ii) 53.5N
5)Time of flight = 3.51s, Time of sound wave = 0.25s
Total time = 3.76s
6i) v = 4i - 2jt s = 4i t - 2jt^2 r = 3j + 4t i - t^2 j (or r = 4t i + (3 - t^2) j)
6ii) 141.3 degrees

7)
i) -10ms- 12(accel, not velocity)
ii) 20m and 13.8m
iii) -12ms-2
iv) -0.5ms-1
v) 12m

8)
i) 25N (sign not required as question asks for magnitude)
ii) 45.3N (sign not required as question asks for magnitude)
iii) 57.27N
iv) 1.41ms-2
v) v = 0.92ms-1
T = 3.86N (Thrust)

(a = -0.257ms-2 (up the slope)) (treat the system as a whole and use F=ma)
v = 2.49ms-1 (down the slope)
T = -3.89N or 3.89N in compression

Hope you all did well

Quite a few mistakes above, have corrected where necessary.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by IanLim93

Original post by IanLim93
i ****ed up q4 ii) + q8 v) =/ i ended up with a tension of 53N and v = 22.6 :frown: can anyone explain question 8v) to me?

Firstly apply F=ma parallel to the slope for the whole system:

F=ma
18g sin5 - 20 = 18a
=> a = -.257ms^-2

Then apply this acceleration to suvat:
a = -0.257, u=3, t=2, v=? (all in standard units)

v=u+at
v = 3 - 0.257 x 2
= 2.49ms^-1

To find tension you then then to consider F=ma for one of the objects. I used the 8kg object:

F=ma
T + 8g sin5 - 5 = 8 x _0.257
=> T = -3.89N

In my resultant force I assumed that that the bar was in tension (thus acting down the slope for the 8kg object), therefore my negative value means the force is acting up the slope, thus the bar is in compression.

Hope this is of help.
Reply 70
Original post by gwas

how did you get z=8? I thought it was -12?

EDIT: And shouldn't y=9?

http://www.onlinemathlearning.com/parallel-vectors.html

The examples given in this website are similar to this question
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 71

Original post by gwas

I definitely don't agree with your answer to 7iv) and also in question 2, if i did the right method but read the q wrong and thus got different answers how many marks do you reckon i would get?
Reply 72
Original post by gwas
Firstly apply F=ma parallel to the slope for the whole system:

F=ma
18g sin5 - 20 = 18a
=> a = -.257ms^-2

Then apply this acceleration to suvat:
a = -0.257, u=3, t=2, v=? (all in standard units)

v=u+at
v = 3 - 0.257 x 2
= 2.49ms^-1

To find tension you then then to consider F=ma for one of the objects. I used the 8kg object:

F=ma
T + 8g sin5 - 5 = 8 x _0.257
=> T = -3.89N

In my resultant force I assumed that that the bar was in tension (thus acting down the slope for the 8kg object), therefore my negative value means the force is acting up the slope, thus the bar is in compression.

Hope this is of help.

i feel so stupid for messing it up =/ hopefully i get some method marks.. its worth 9 marks :frown:
Reply 73
Original post by Woffles

honest mistake, now corrected. thanks.
Reply 74
Original post by Woffles

Honest mistake, now corrected. thanks! (stupidly applied a multiple of 2 instead of 3)
Reply 75
Original post by Woffles

many thanks, made a honest mistake, have updated.
Reply 76
Original post by James4821
I definitely don't agree with your answer to 7iv) and also in question 2, if i did the right method but read the q wrong and thus got different answers how many marks do you reckon i would get?

checked and updated 7iv, oops (shouldn't have completed this late at night!)

Q2 you may get some method marks if you accidently misread a figure (e.g. 22.5 instead of 2.5) but applied SUVAT correctly with your incorrect/misread value. But if you confused u and v and have used incorrect signs it will be hard to gain marks in my opinion.
Reply 77
Original post by gwas
checked and updated 7iv, oops (shouldn't have completed this late at night!)

Q2 you may get some method marks if you accidently misread a figure (e.g. 22.5 instead of 2.5) but applied SUVAT correctly with your incorrect/misread value. But if you confused u and v and have used incorrect signs it will be hard to gain marks in my opinion.

Haha thanks for updating 7iv), i agree with it now haha :smile:
Regarding Q2:
I applied SUVAT correctly with my misread value of v = 22.5 instead of v =2.25. I didn't confuse u and v and my answers work for my misread value. And what were the directions of a and v? (will stating the directions of each be worth one mark each do you think?)
Reply 78
Original post by gwas
many thanks, made a honest mistake, have updated.

No worries. Everything else is flawless +1
Reply 79

just times the by the factor that x was multiplied by so that the are paralell but have different magnitude.

Magnitude is the root of all the directions squared:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending