Turn on thread page Beta

Double pay on Boxing Day? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm just wondering if a shop must pay you double pay if you work on Boxing Day. I don't know if I'm going to get extra pay when I work then as my manager never said anything. I'll ask when I go in but I'd like to know whether they are actually required to pay more.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    They don't have to, but most will pay double or triple

ReputationRep:
    I don't thing that they're obliged to pay double pay on any public holiday...

The shopping centre that I work in is closed on Boxing Day. The day after, the Tuesday, is a Bank Holiday, and my company pays double for Bank Holidays. Good stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    They don't have to, but most will pay double or triple
    Ah ok. Fingers crossed.

(Original post by dogtanian)
    I don't thing that they're obliged to pay double pay on any public holiday...

The shopping centre that I work in is closed on Boxing Day. The day after, the Tuesday, is a Bank Holiday, and my company pays double for Bank Holidays. Good stuff.
    Oh Tuesday is also a Bank Holiday? I'm working then too , let's hope they're kind enough to pay me double.

ReputationRep:
    Yep. 9-5 style jobs get Christmas Day and Boxing Day off, so to make sure that they don't lose a day off with Christmas Day being on the weekend this year, there's an extra Bank Holiday. There was one last year too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    Yep. 9-5 style jobs get Christmas Day and Boxing Day off, so to make sure that they don't lose a day off with Christmas Day being on the weekend this year, there's an extra Bank Holiday. There was one last year too.
    Oh I see. Well I'm not complaining. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Do you work in a small shop, or a big chain? If it's a chain, someone else here may work there and be able to tell you?

I know Argos is triple time on Boxing/New Year's day and double on normal Bank Holidays; that was very nice indeed last year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingLeigh)
    Do you work in a small shop, or a big chain? If it's a chain, someone else here may work there and be able to tell you?

I know Argos is triple time on Boxing/New Year's day and double on normal Bank Holidays; that was very nice indeed last year!
    Oh wow, triple! I bet that was very nice, yes!

I work in Dorothy Perkins (the shoes section.) Being a chain, it should offer at least double time but I've not been told.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemgems89)

I work in Dorothy Perkins (the shoes section.) Being a chain, it should offer at least double time but I've not been told.
    Now I'm not an experienced worker, I have in fact never had a job, but wouldn't your contract say? There must be some terms you agreed to about when exactly you work... right?

ReputationRep:
    It might say in the contract, but I never know all the terms off by heart! It'd be easier to mention it in passing to a supervisor during the shift.

ReputationRep:
    Mamas and Papas are too stingy to offer double pay on boxing day!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by gemgems89)

It depends. My sister was a supervisor there and got triple pay, but her friend was only an Xmas temp and only got normal pay

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure my contract never mentioned anything about double-pay.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Debenhams and I don't get any extra...ah wait...i'm just a temp :rolleyes: back to the slavery work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
    I'm in Debenhams and I don't get any extra...ah wait...i'm just a temp :rolleyes: back to the slavery work!
    Oh! I'm also a temp! (could be permanent though hopefully!) Does that mean no double pay? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    think so i'm afraid my friends were temps last year in various stores and none got double pay i'm hoping to stay on permanent as well....4 temps left last week, so i have a good chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
    think so i'm afraid my friends were temps last year in various stores and none got double pay i'm hoping to stay on permanent as well....4 temps left last week, so i have a good chance
    Oh great! What difference should being a temp make?! :eek:

That's disgusting.

We are slaves.

Let's protest.

ReputationRep:
    im working Boxing day

ive been promised triple pay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tarka)
    im working Boxing day

ive been promised triple pay
    Stop making me jealous.

ReputationRep:
    I got triple pay on Boxing Day a couple of years ago, but that was because at first they didn't have enough people to do it. Funnily enough, once it went up to triple pay they were inundated with offers :P

I think the normal rate for our WHSmith is double pay for Boxing Day/ New Years Day and time and a half for other bank holidays. Though the person who handles paychecks now is a bit of an eejit (seriously, I got September overtime in the payslip I got on Tuesday...) so God knows what'll happen or if he'll bother to give us any extra...

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.