The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2013 hopefuls! (again, early...)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BeHappy
I'm hoping to apply in 2013 :biggrin:
Although my current work experience status is pretty dismal compared to some of yours...
2 weeks at different small animal practice
3 months of Saturday afternoons spent at Cats Protection
1 week at VLA [seriously recommend it, got to see post mortems and everything, was amazing!]
1 day lambing [yes, 1 day, but hopefully I can go back for longer next year :smile:]
2 weeks hopefully at different large animal vets, organising now.
And hopefully will be spending many Saturdays at my riding stables soon.

I need to find some friendly dairy farmers that will have me for a couple of weeks. Thing is, I can't actually understand what half of them here say! Must brush up on my farmer speak!

Any of you have any ideas as to what you want to apply for as your 5th choice, other than veterinary? I'm thinking pharmacy or bioveterinary, but thinking I may have to get some pharmacy work experience if I'm to apply and get an offer? Anyone know? Thank you!

I've been trying to get work experience at the VLA!! How did you manage it?
Which one did you go to aswell?
Original post by alice456
wow that is a major amount of work experience - your gonna have loads after you've completed your planned ones yay :smile: have you decided which unis to apply to yet?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to apply to liverpool, nottingham and bristol again but I'm thinking about applying to RVC instead of Edinburgh. you??? :biggrin:

Remember to join the facebook group everyone http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/321094924605336/

I found it really helpful last year and it was good to know when people started to get offers and stuff :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by beccac94
I'm pretty sure I'm going to apply to liverpool, nottingham and bristol again but I'm thinking about applying to RVC instead of Edinburgh. you??? :biggrin:

Remember to join the facebook group everyone http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/321094924605336/

I found it really helpful last year and it was good to know when people started to get offers and stuff :biggrin:

ive actually applied to veterinary nursing at nottingham trent, harper adams, hartpury college and rvc :smile:. i wish there had been a group like that for vet nursing :smile:
Reply 1583
Original post by laurag.19
I've been trying to get work experience at the VLA!! How did you manage it?
Which one did you go to aswell?

Woah, you've been reading all the old posts! :smile:

Starcross in Devon, I just rung up and they told me to email the person in charge of w/e and I got a placement-I did have lots of reference/health and safety e.t.c. forms to fill in. But it wasn't too difficult.
It was a good week though, got to see some PMs which were GREAT!
Original post by alice456
ive actually applied to veterinary nursing at nottingham trent, harper adams, hartpury college and rvc :smile:. i wish there had been a group like that for vet nursing :smile:

I'm actually suprised there isn't a group for them, I could always join that one cause last year there was biovet apps and for some reason medicine apps anyone can join lol
were due to start lambing at ours on the 18th, but i think our sheep may just pop before then, my aim this time lambing is not to get head butted in the mouth again! stupid sheep that did that to me 2 weeks ago, ive got to have it xrayed on wednesday!
Just finished paying for my trip to South Africa, and booked the flights as well - no turning back now! First time I've ever left the country by myself, it's gonna be scaaaaary. But I get to play with cheetahs, so hopefully it will all be worth it :smile:
Reply 1587
Original post by KazSmurph
Just finished paying for my trip to South Africa, and booked the flights as well - no turning back now! First time I've ever left the country by myself, it's gonna be scaaaaary. But I get to play with cheetahs, so hopefully it will all be worth it :smile:

Let me know how it goes! What jobs will you be doing and where are you staying? I'm going to Australia this summer for work exp :biggrin: Pretty nervous and its 2 days traveling on my own! I am going to be sharing a volunteers house with other volunteers so should be fun :smile: I have been saving up for about 8months working 5 days a week on top of school including both Saturday and Sunday!... -.- So really hope its worth it :wink: Africa sounds amazinggggg though!

oops think i've posted this twice now..
Original post by beccac94
I thought it was only if you had an interview first time around, but you can only apply there twice for vet med

Oh thank God!!! Somebody told me it was for all reapplicants, not just for the ones who got interviews. Phew! :biggrin: Thank God I didn't get an interview! (Never thought i'd say that line! :tongue: )
Finally going lambing tomorrow after 5 months of planning! Very excited and a little bit nervous! It's more hands on than other work ex isn't it?
Reply 1590
Original post by matty9694
Finally going lambing tomorrow after 5 months of planning! Very excited and a little bit nervous! It's more hands on than other work ex isn't it?

It is indeed! More hands in, in fact! :P I've done a bit during this Easter hols, deffo my favourite placement so far! It's just generally more full on and I've found that I get more free roam lambing than with other placements. We even did a ram autopsy last week!
Enjoy it as much as I did :smile:
Original post by EllHv1
It is indeed! More hands in, in fact! :P I've done a bit during this Easter hols, deffo my favourite placement so far! It's just generally more full on and I've found that I get more free roam lambing than with other placements. We even did a ram autopsy last week!
Enjoy it as much as I did :smile:

Oh I hope I get to take part in more things than I did with my other placements. I'd love to see a ram autopsy! I've seen a kitten autopsy, it was good but because it was so tiny it was hard to see everything clearly.
I'm sure I will! Thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 1592
Oh I hope I get to take part in more things than I did with my other placements. I'd love to see a ram autopsy! I've seen a kitten autopsy, it was good but because it was so tiny it was hard to see everything clearly.
I'm sure I will! Thank you! :biggrin:

I'm sure you will get to do more, I've found both with this farm and a dairy farm that they're keen to make use of work exp'ers as an extra pair of hands!
Haha yeah, didn't have any issues seeing the ram's organs - although it was literally just a few of us in a field with a knife and a saw, after the farmer asked us what killed his lamb :L We managed to draw some conclusions from it though, all interesting stuff :biggrin:
Take a pen-knife too btw - I forgot mine one day - they are useful with the straw bales and twine! (We were set other tasks in between lambing) I also managed to completely stain my one hand with iodine (lambs wriggle :L ) - wear old clothes, though that's probably a given :L
Original post by EllHv1
I'm sure you will get to do more, I've found both with this farm and a dairy farm that they're keen to make use of work exp'ers as an extra pair of hands!
Haha yeah, didn't have any issues seeing the ram's organs - although it was literally just a few of us in a field with a knife and a saw, after the farmer asked us what killed his lamb :L We managed to draw some conclusions from it though, all interesting stuff :biggrin:
Take a pen-knife too btw - I forgot mine one day - they are useful with the straw bales and twine! (We were set other tasks in between lambing) I also managed to completely stain my one hand with iodine (lambs wriggle :L ) - wear old clothes, though that's probably a given :L

Yeah! I found that with my dairy farm placement! Argh, trying to bite through twine is almost impossible and hay is the tastiest thing in the world. :tongue:

I think I will find my swiss army knife, hopefully it didn't get left behind when we moved.

Haha! I've managed to do that in chemistry, so i'm almost guaranteed to whilst lambing!
Reply 1594
Yeah! I found that with my dairy farm placement! Argh, trying to bite through twine is almost impossible and hay is the tastiest thing in the world. :tongue:

I think I will find my swiss army knife, hopefully it didn't get left behind when we moved.

Haha! I've managed to do that in chemistry, so i'm almost guaranteed to whilst lambing!

Lambs move just a tad more than conical flasks :P Biting twine!? Very keen! :L
Original post by wallaby
Let me know how it goes! What jobs will you be doing and where are you staying? I'm going to Australia this summer for work exp :biggrin: Pretty nervous and its 2 days traveling on my own! I am going to be sharing a volunteers house with other volunteers so should be fun :smile: I have been saving up for about 8months working 5 days a week on top of school including both Saturday and Sunday!... -.- So really hope its worth it :wink: Africa sounds amazinggggg though!

oops think i've posted this twice now..

Im goin to Australia too :smile: the flights sound really scary tho changin planes is what im really worried about ill get lost or something :s tho im sure it will be worth it Australias beautiful :smile: what you doin there???
Reply 1596
Original post by amethyst<3
Im goin to Australia too :smile: the flights sound really scary tho changin planes is what im really worried about ill get lost or something :s tho im sure it will be worth it Australias beautiful :smile: what you doin there???

I know I'm worried about that too! Hope they speak english in Dubai as I only have 2 hours to swap planes...:/ There are 3 flights each way. I'm working at a wallaby and wombat sanctuary and they said I would be able to get involved in the vet consultations there too :smile: Sooo excited! How about you? :smile:
Original post by wallaby
I know I'm worried about that too! Hope they speak english in Dubai as I only have 2 hours to swap planes...:/ There are 3 flights each way. I'm working at a wallaby and wombat sanctuary and they said I would be able to get involved in the vet consultations there too :smile: Sooo excited! How about you? :smile:

I have a friend from Dubai and he speaks fluent English so I imagine ull will at least be able to find one person :smile: and wow that sounds amazing I was thinking about doing a sanctuary it will be an experience and a half :smile: im going to work with Dolphins :smile: i actually cant wait and they said that hopefully i will be able to help with some of the research :smile:
Reply 1598
WOW. Your Australia experience things sound amazing! Hope you have loads so fun :biggrin:

Did anyone watch Inside Natures Giants last night? How amazing was it?! So eye-opening, the weight of their stomach contents was insane!
Also totally love Joy the crazy whale woman, love how she just climbs in!
Can't wait for next week, does anyone know what other animals they have planned for this series?
Reply 1599
So didn't get in 2012, so 2013 here goes!
Has anyone looked at/done any 'project abroad'?
Seeing as I've got a year ahead of me to boost my work experience..??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending