holly_
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
hi i am 14 years old (nearly 15) and doing my GCSEs! i get good grades and need a bit of extra cash! (mum and dad are fed up of "lending" me money!) so i am planning to become a tutor! i need some extra info on this so just like how to advertise and how to price it and so on! any help would be brilliant! i want to tutor in maths and science to anyone under 12 i want to do it to mainly people i know! X :borat:

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM:

This tutoring company pays up to £24 per hour - apply to become a tutor here (uni level students only)

Discussion on how to become a tutor here
Last edited by Professor Oak; 2 years ago
jada897
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
oo nice idea!
Mobs25
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i did tutoring and i charged from £5 to £10 an hour according to the subject and the level. I did KS3 which was only £5 an hour and i did GCSE £10 for maths/science only. I could range to other subjects like history, geography and DT but i would have to do a bit of extra reading to do so. The reason why my price were so low was because i was a Y11 student at that time and so people just had my previous grades to judge my knowledge on. It was successful and i had made good amount of cash but i stopped after a few months as i found it was interfering with my own studies.

i would say that as your a GCSE student ur pricing must be low and you should make sure u knw wot ur talking about INSIDE AND OUT! it can b very awkward if i child asks you a question which is actually simple but you haven't come across yet. Good luck
JOR2010
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mobs25)
i did tutoring and i charged from £5 to £10 an hour according to the subject and the level. I did KS3 which was only £5 an hour and i did GCSE £10 for maths/science only. I could range to other subjects like history, geography and DT but i would have to do a bit of extra reading to do so. The reason why my price were so low was because i was a Y11 student at that time and so people just had my previous grades to judge my knowledge on. It was successful and i had made good amount of cash but i stopped after a few months as i found it was interfering with my own studies.

i would say that as your a GCSE student ur pricing must be low and you should make sure u knw wot ur talking about INSIDE AND OUT! it can b very awkward if i child asks you a question which is actually simple but you haven't come across yet. Good luck
Where/How is it best to advertise for tutoring in your local area?
Mobs25
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by JOR2010)
Where/How is it best to advertise for tutoring in your local area?
Word of mouth was my best tool but i was able to advertise it in school as well (need to get permission tho). If you are looking for some kids in ur area apposed to your school then i would recommend a news agent, if you know a family with children then maybe just drop a leaflet or some info in there mail box. But i have found that if you help one person and ask them to spread the word, more people will more likely follow.
JOR2010
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Word of mouth was my best tool but i was able to advertise it in school as well (need to get permission tho). If you are looking for some kids in ur area apposed to your school then i would recommend a news agent, if you know a family with children then maybe just drop a leaflet or some info in there mail box. But i have found that if you help one person and ask them to spread the word, more people will more likely follow.
Alright, thanks for the information!
rY4uGD1fMzBj4xe2
Report 9 years ago
My bro tutors a friends sister in maths and charges £10 an hour, but he's not strict if it runs over 10 mins or anything, still just charges £10.
AspiringGenius
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I want to do this, although I want to do GCSE Maths, Chemistry, Biology and English Tutoring. Perhaps Geograohy as well although I'm not getting great grades in that >_<
Riemann_1/n^s
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by holly_)
hi i am 14 years old (nearly 15) and doing my GCSEs! i get good grades and need a bit of extra cash! (mum and dad are fed up of "lending" me money!) so i am planning to become a tutor! i need some extra info on this so just like how to advertise and how to price it and so on! any help would be brilliant! i want to tutor in maths and science to anyone under 12 i want to do it to mainly people i know! X :borat:
You don't tutor maths, maths tutors you.
michael clayton
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

So you were tutoring GCSE students without having completed any GCSEs yourself?
Overmars
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There are lots of tutoring agencies around but sadly, at your age, the best ones won't pick you up because...well, you're just a kid.

Wouldn't worry though. There are plenty of stupid, poncy rich kids with pushy parents. Easy money.
Mobs25
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by kbountra)
So you were tutoring GCSE students without having completed any GCSEs yourself?
i was in year 11 tutoring gcse y10 work and ks3 ... the only gcse subject i actually taught was science (bio)... ks3 was mainly what i taught.
asas78978
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Greeting!
It is very exciting to hear from you that you are considering the same thing as I am! here is my thread and some advice might found on it.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...t=math%20tutor
But in order to become a math tutor at such young age you have to have a great common sense and understand of math concept, so you have to try hard, be confident and make their parents believe in you, good luck!
aquilagirl801234
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i was in year 11 tutoring gcse y10 work and ks3 ... the only gcse subject i actually taught was science (bio)... ks3 was mainly what i taught.
Where abouts would you tutor, like do they come to your house, or do you go to their house or what???? I was thinking about tutoring too, next year obviously.
Miss Anonymous
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd love to do this! For GCSE maths and physics...

Good luck OP!
goblin.xx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Same lmao this is way too late but how did you become a tutor?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (325)
56.03%
I don't have everything I need (255)
43.97%

Watched Threads