Turn on thread page Beta

Is it right for State Students to have a better advantage than Private Students? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I feel that it is not acceptable for State school students to have the better hand than Private school students. Straight A's are Straight A's. I do not think that it matters whether or not the school is branded State or Private, at the end of it, 'school' still follows it. Also, I in some way think that State schools have somewhat of an advantage, Private Schools do not take up so too speak "modern/newly introduced" subjects to schools. A state student is more likely to find something that they are good at in a school with 30+ subjects than I would be in my Private School with 21 subjects.

How does everyone feel about this matter?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Isn't this more of a discussion topic?

You don't exactly HAVE to go there, unlike a lot of people at state schools you have the choice, so if a state school person were to want private education for the better facilities and smaller classes they can't.

That's unfair.

Saying your state school offers more subjects than your private school isn't the same thing, if it really was better you wouldn't be paying for the education you're at now...

ReputationRep:
    I feel that it is not acceptable for State school students to have the better hand than Private school students. Straight A's are Straight A's. I do not think that it matters whether or not the school is branded State or Private, at the end of it, 'school' still follows it. Also, I in some way think that State schools have somewhat of an advantage, Private Schools do not take up so too speak "modern/newly introduced" subjects to schools. A state student is more likely to find something that they are good at in a school with 30+ subjects than I would be in my Private School with 21 subjects.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I totally disagree with you

ReputationRep:
    Private school don't get a worse advantage than state schools.

ReputationRep:
    Is it easier to get AAA at a school where you have small class sizes, excellent teachers and few disruptive students, or one where you have more students per teacher, tired, worn out teachers who arent that great anyway and where half the class doesnt want to be there?

Also, the additional subjects taught tend to be traditional degree subjects taught early. Law and psychology arent taught at GCSE and are often looked down upon by the more prestigious universities anyway.

In short, you are a whiny toff.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. By attending a state school (a poor one, at that), disadvantages the pupil, as that pupil does not get the same quality of education as another pupil at a private school.

This country promotes equality and income redistribution. If state schools are not favoured, the rich will get richer at a faster rate, and the poor will sink further behind, increasing poverty. How is this fixed? Progressive income tax (for those economists out there ) and considering whether a pupil is from a state school or not. It benefits everyone in the long run.

However, one thing needs to be considered. There are quite a few state schools that are better than independent schools. Universities, particularly, should take into account the relative quality of education the applicant has received - the state/private separator doesn't cover this. A university may overlook that a pupil attends the best state school in the country - which is better than most private schools :eek:.

However, overall, I disagree with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElWilson)
    I do not think that it matters whether or not the school is branded State or Private, at the end of it, 'school' still follows it.
    Of course it matters which type of school you went to; it's much easier to get better grades at a private school than a state school obviously.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    Is this because you are annoyed that some lowly state school pupils might be offered your place at university? Just face it; they're brighter than you. They have achieved straight As with less help, worse teachers and crapper faciliates. You have had the help of whatever £2,000 a term can buy you. If anybody has the unfair advantage it is you.

But perhaps, should you want to rectify this, you could quit and go to your local advantageous institute - if they'll take you that is.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    Mate i come from a state school and i am very proud of how far ive got. I can tell you its much harder at a state school you have no idea what sort of behaviour we have to put up with since we are a state school we get loads of misbehaving kids. For example in mixed ability groups like my gcse tech we had people who had no respect for other peoples work they chucked peoples work across the classroom, chucked things at the teacher, verbally abused the teacher until he would have to help them in practical experiments which are worthless since they had done no planning or any other written work. We get people who do drugs, smoke, beat up teachers now do you think its easy to work in an environment like this. When i started my AS's we had over 30 people for chem, bio and maths with some people in the group allowed in even with grade D's in their chosen subject. :eek:
    Things for A2 have improved however we have not enough teachers for all of the depts therefore i have to walk to the other side of my area to go to another school to learn A level physics since my school doesnt provide transport. I can shock you with some of the things i have gone through at my school so please dont tell me about how rich kids in posh schools are being disadvantaged.

ReputationRep:
    It's hugely likely to be true that someone from a state school had to work much harder to get the same straight As as someone from a private school.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if the person who launched this thread is from an inner-city state comprehensive... If he was then maybe he would know the difference between achieving str8 A's from less privilaged means, and being force fed.
    However, I do concede that there is an overlap between posh state schools and bottom of the rung private education: am i bovvered though?

ReputationRep:
    So you're paying money to be disadvantaged?

Then it is fair and right.

ReputationRep:

Thanks

I think its fair to me, Because the money within private schools buys better teachers, The people who get straight A's in State schools are obviously more intelligent that the Private school people because they've got the same results, being taught with the less able of the teaching world.

Also, the ones from the state schools dont generally have mummy and daddy who are willing to dip into their pockets to help them out.

So its more than fair.

ReputationRep:
    rage rage rage!!!!
    i hate this discussion because it always end up in the value of the 5 straight As at Alevel I achieved at a private school being totally demeaned. it's not as if they were handed to me on a plate!!! i seriously slogged my guts out for 4 years, and i too suffered from crappy teachers and disruptive classmates. yes, i went to a fee paying school but, in my opinion that lost me my place at 2 or 3 universities to which i applied, cambridge in particular, due to quotas and positive discrimination regulations. my grades were in the top 5% of my school's 6th form leavers!
    i can see that in extreme circumstances positive discrimination may be valid, but a levels take a high level of personal motivation and work, and it's not fair that i should be discriminated against.
    why should the burden fall onto people like me because the government can't bring state schools up to a better standard in which every pupil can fulfill their potential? therein lies the real debate.
    RAGE!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge does NOT have quotas or positive discrimination, Cambridge simply thought that other applicants would do better than you at Cambridge. Sorry, it's not easy being rejected from somewhere you wanted to go but it's absurd that you should expect to have been made an offer.

ReputationRep:
    What the hell??? You went to a posh private school and you think you're worse off???

Why don't you start living in the ****ing real world you numpty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Scotto)
    The people who get straight A's in State schools are obviously more intelligent that the Private school people because they've got the same results, being taught with the less able of the teaching world.
    Not necessarily true, as As are the highest grade you can get. Who's to say that if there were higher grades, the private school people would get them whilst the state school people won't. Though it may be true for lower grades.

If mademoiselle84 got rejected, she probably wasn't good enough. Getting lots of As doesn't guarantee anything. 'Raging' would do even less.

Cambridge doesn't have quotes, but they might think a state schooler with similar grades/achievements to a private schooler would do better, hence select them.

ReputationRep:
    imho it is necessarily true

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.