Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Aren't we trying to decide on which person is the greater physicist here?

Shouldn't we only really be looking at their work and how their work affected the progress of physics and to a lesser extent maths?

I don't see what each of their personal opinions on killing people has to do with this. If we were trying tod decide which was the greater person overall, then maybe it would be relevant, but seen as we are discussing which is the better physicist, then please can we stick to looking only at their work's affect on physics and their ability to do the work.

ReputationRep:
    I dont really like the idea of Newton vs Einstein ,as it stands Einstein has contributed a lot more to physics. The times at which they both lived were very different, had they both lived at the same age things may have been very different. What Newton did at his time was unique and revolutinary, he created the basic understanding, which Einstein improved corrected and expanded. They are both legends in their own right. IMO its harder to create something new then to improve it, newton was unique in this.

As much of a ******* as newton was though, when it comes to mathematics I give it to him hands down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malik)
    I dont really like the idea of Newton vs Einstein ,as it stands Einstein has contributed a lot more to physics. The times at which they both lived were very different, had they both lived at the same age things may have been very different. What Newton did at his time was unique and revolutinary, he created the basic understanding, which Einstein improved corrected and expanded. They are both legends in their own right.

As much of a ******* as newton was though, when it comes to mathematics I give it to him hands down.
    I agree with you wholly

ReputationRep:
    Aw, poor newton! I dont think he has been recognised at all! From what i hear in my maths classes, Newton was a genius. End of

--------------

Although Malik is right. They are both legends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malik)
    I dont really like the idea of Newton vs Einstein ,as it stands Einstein has contributed a lot more to physics. The times at which they both lived were very different, had they both lived at the same age things may have been very different. What Newton did at his time was unique and revolutinary, he created the basic understanding, which Einstein improved corrected and expanded. They are both legends in their own right. IMO its harder to create something new then to improve it, newton was unique in this.

So einstein was the greater physicist, newton the greater mathematician. Hence you should vote for einstein in this poll

newton is much sexier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger Kirk)
    Aren't we trying to decide on which person is the greater physicist here?

Shouldn't we only really be looking at their work and how their work affected the progress of physics and to a lesser extent maths?

I don't see what each of their personal opinions on killing people has to do with this. If we were trying tod decide which was the greater person overall, then maybe it would be relevant, but seen as we are discussing which is the better physicist, then please can we stick to looking only at their work's affect on physics and their ability to do the work.
    hmm, you are right I will stop arguing who is a better person but since I am only 16 I don't know very much about their physics so I shouldn't have voted at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rpotter)
    So einstein was the greater physicist, newton the greater mathematician. Hence you should vote for einstein in this poll
    Did I actually say that? I would'nt want to vote on either, they were from two differents eras. For that reason I really wouldnt want to choose one, Newton was one of the first to have theories that could be prooven with mathematics, he formed alot of principles that are still used now. 200 years later Einstein made great discoveries based on previous work. And I am not saying that to discredit him in anyway his contributions to physics made a huge impact.

You cant really compare them directly, only reconize the impact they made on physics in their own era's.

ReputationRep:
    incorrect due to newstons greater math ability he was able to prove and contribute more to physics than einstein hence you should be voting for newton.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by massimo)
    newton vs einstein ??

who is the greater physicist what do you reckon
    incorrect due to newstons greater math ability he was able to prove and contribute more to physics than einstein hence you should be voting for newton.
    Why bother asking the question if you're so certain of the answer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by massimo)
    Einstein proved his formulae with maths aswell. However in my opinion although newton's mathematical ability did somewhat increase his contribution to physics, (Einstein also had a considerable (although less than newton) ability in maths) taking into account the slight difference that the mathematical abilities make, einstein was still the greater physicist
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Einstein proved his formulae with maths aswell. However in my opinion although newton's mathematical ability did somewhat increase his contribution to physics, (Einstein also had a considerable (although less than newton) ability in maths) taking into account the slight difference that the mathematical abilities make, Einstein was still the greater physicist
    I once read a book, can't remember it's name now, but will post it if I do remember) which was all about developments in mathematical physics.

It had a chapter or two on Einsteins contributions and in it detailed how he got the help of some friend with the maths now and again. He would often go to this friend and say what his ideas were and what he wanted to do and got his friend to work through the maths ideas Einstein would need in order for him to go away and finally prove it. On the physics side of thing it was all Einsteins work, but he didn't know the maths himself all the time and needed to help of others to assist him by providing the tools to prove his work in physics.

If I understand Newtons work methods correctly, he get nor need much in put like this from others with either the maths of physics side. If there was a problem for Newton, who would just develop new maths to continue his physics work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger Kirk)
    I once read a book, can't remember it's name now, but will post it if I do remember) which was all about developments in mathematical physics.

It had a chapter or two on Einsteins contributions and in it detailed how he got the help of some friend with the maths now and again. He would often go to this friend and say what his ideas were and what he wanted to do and got his friend to work through the maths ideas Einstein would need in order for him to go away and finally prove it. On the physics side of thing it was all Einsteins work, but he didn't know the maths himself all the time and needed to help of others to assist him by providing the tools to prove his work in physics.

If I understand Newtons work methods correctly, he get nor need much in put like this from others with either the maths of physics side. If there was a problem for Newton, who would just develop new maths to continue his physics work.
    That is true, einstein needed help with some of the maths, but you have to remember that even today that is 4th year degree level maths, and einstein didnt go to university, infact much of the maths he knew was self taught because he hated school. The maths behind newton's work however is very simple, and had einstein beena round at that time i doubt he would need any help to understand newton's mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    That is true, einstein needed help with some of the maths, but you have to remember that even today that is 4th year degree level maths, and einstein didnt go to university, infact much of the maths he knew was self taught because he hated school. The maths behind newton's work however is very simple, and had einstein beena round at that time i doubt he would need any help to understand newton's mathematics.
    I think that's a very "21st-century" attitude to Newton's work. Calculus of one variable may be easier than tensor calculus, but Newton's invention of the calculus (albeit based on ideas from Fermat and others) was still a staggering feat. Judged properly it has to rate as one of the greatest contributions to maths ever, possibly the greatest.

It's also simplistic to think that one variable calculus is really that easy. It wasn't until Weierstrass's time, two centuries after Newton, that the notion of a limit was properly rigorised - and this was something Newton's work was criticised for at the time. So doing calculus properly isn't that routine a thing.

ReputationRep:
    Newton. Mathematical edge. Also, he didn't have to rely on Einstein's work...

ReputationRep:
    I think we can all understand better "Rate of Change of Momentum is pproportional to the force that produces it" better than <insert cutial einstien stuff here>

ReputationRep:
    You need to be aware that there's alot of myths surrounding Einstein many of them come from the film 'Young Einstein' which was a completely fictional account of his early life.

Einstein quit schools half way through his final year and then failed to get into university as he did not pass the non-maths and science part of the entrance exam. The next year though he went to a different school and got his dipolma, he then attended the university of Zurich and after successfully graduating went onto work at the Swiss patent office in a technical postion were he obtained his PhD. His mathematical work on general relativty was done when he himself was a professor of physics and with help of a professor of geometry.

ReputationRep:
    We all know e=mc^2, but how many people (not neccessarily in this clique, but mroe the population at large) actually knows what it means or uses it consciously..at all?

On the other hand Newton's work esp those immortal 3 laws are used by many, eg we all are consciously aware that "an object will remain with contant velocioty until acted on by a net external force", and tbh i think that his work, whilst not as advanced, can be appreciated by more, since more people dabble in motion than general relativiy in their day to day lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_JR)
    We all know e=mc^2, but how many people (not neccessarily in this clique, but mroe the population at large) actually knows what it means or uses it consciously..at all?

On the other hand Newton's work esp those immortal 3 laws are used by many, eg we all are consciously aware that "an object will remain with contant velocioty until acted on by a net external force", and tbh i think that his work, whilst not as advanced, can be appreciated by more, since more people dabble in motion than general relativiy in their day to day lives.
    You would have thought so, but most people think that you need a force to keep something at a constant velocity, even when you tell them to ignore fricion and air resistance

ReputationRep:
    You would have thought so, but most people think that you need a force to keep something at a constant velocity, even when you tell them to ignore fricion and air resistance
    If that is the case (which on second thoughts I would accept) then I will have to rephrase myself. Adapted, my point still holds true there there is more consideration and use of his laws than those of RelativityDo youo think more "How do i get this object moving" or "I wonder how much energy I would be if I was converted to pure energy?"

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 3, 2006

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.