Durham University is the best university in the North of England! Watch

hanadeka2002
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I have to agree with what someone else said,Teesside clearly wins this contest.
Rach:)
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It would be even better if the University of Durham was the best in the north of England! :rolleyes:
arkbar
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
*Durham University is a trading name of the University of Durham and Kenneth Calmans bank account
fundamentally
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Rooftopcowboy)
I just despise this current system of dressing up College's and College courses as Uni's (not just Teeside in particular) partly for the people who go there as well, as an employer simply wont class it as an acheivement, as they arnt stupid and realise its just a glorified GNVQ course.
:dito:
ChrisH2107
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by durhamdosser)
Chris knows how to down a pint very quickly. It's a skill.
Yes I do. Eventually my name will come to be well associated with this age-old tradition.
kb500
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Everyone knows York is better than Durham, but still you can be satisfied with second place in this contest lol
AdamC
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Durham is the Oxbridge of the North. Sorry York!
Rach:)
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by AdamC)
You're a poet and you don't know it! :rolleyes:
kb500
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by AdamC)
In that everyone who goes was rejected from Oxbridge...sorry couldn't resist Seriously though I'm not saying that they are perfect but every league table over the last five years has York above Durham.
durhamdosser
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ChrisH2107)
Yes I do. Eventually my name will come to be well associated with this age-old tradition.
It already is, dear, don't worry about that. Now, have you ever done a yard?
Piggsil
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by kb500)
In that everyone who goes was rejected from Oxbridge...sorry couldn't resist Seriously though I'm not saying that they are perfect but every league table over the last five years has York above Durham.
I would have said in that it has a collegiate system.
kb500
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Becca)
I would have said in that it has a collegiate system.
As does York
arkbar
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Nononono, we said 'collegiate system' as opposed to 'naming halls of residence with 'college' on the end', similar to Lancaster and other 60s Unis.
Durham colleges are listed bodies under the 1988 education reform act, whereas York's colleges have no legal standing. :p:
Piggsil
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by kb500)
As does York
Hehe, I knew you would come back with that one. Thanks for doing my arguing for me already, Ali.
dobbs
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by kb500)
As does York
After recently talking to a guy who goes to York Uni (during York Regatta in which I was rowing) it was clear that your "colleges" are incredibly different from Durham's colleges.

Ali explained the legal side.

But basically, they're nowhere near the same standard at Durham when it comes to feeling part of a community, having individual sports teams for a large variety of sports (i.e. each of Yorks colleges has a football team, and that's pretty much it, a few others maybe but barely ever have matches/games/competitions), don't have as much structure in the JCR or student-power, and basically you don't feel like you "belong" to that college. It's just a place you live :rolleyes:

Very different from Durham
Mattmoy_2000
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I can say the same of Lancaster too, as I know someone who goes there. Their "collegiate" system also appears to consist mainly of having halls of residence with "college" suffixed to the name.
arkbar
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Lancaster collegiate system is rubbish, as my girlfriend (who goes there) can attest. All the colleges seem to be just shoved together (although the accomodation is lovely) with no 'college spirit' or anything.
vickyrkenya
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Lancaster was my insurance choice - I agree with what was said above, the 'colleges' are simply halls which you live in. Also...everything north of London is 'In the north' to me
kb500
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by dobbs)
After recently talking to a guy who goes to York Uni (during York Regatta in which I was rowing) it was clear that your "colleges" are incredibly different from Durham's colleges.

Ali explained the legal side.

But basically, they're nowhere near the same standard at Durham when it comes to feeling part of a community, having individual sports teams for a large variety of sports (i.e. each of Yorks colleges has a football team, and that's pretty much it, a few others maybe but barely ever have matches/games/competitions), don't have as much structure in the JCR or student-power, and basically you don't feel like you "belong" to that college. It's just a place you live :rolleyes:

Very different from Durham
They differ from Oxbridge in that teaching is not in colleges, from what I recall Durham follows the Oxbridge model here? The York colleges have lots of different sports teams, don't know what that guy you were speaking to was on about?! The JCR's seem fairly structured with something like 25 positions available in each college although I don't know the details of Durham's system so couldn't compare. In terms of belonging to a college that's also untrue there was is a lot of college spirit especially in some colleges.
dobbs
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by kb500)
They differ from Oxbridge in that teaching is not in colleges, from what I recall Durham follows the Oxbridge model here? The York colleges have lots of different sports teams, don't know what that guy you were speaking to was on about?! The JCR's seem fairly structured with something like 25 positions available in each college although I don't know the details of Durham's system so couldn't compare. In terms of belonging to a college that's also untrue there was is a lot of college spirit especially in some colleges.
What I seemed to learn was that although you may have a few sports teams in each college, they weren't organised very well or anything like that. At Durham, each college will have between 3 and like 7 or 8 football teams (if you use Hild Bede, which has a Men's G Team lol) and the majority of people get involved. Isn't it something like 90% of Durham students are involved in some sort of sport? That's pretty impressive!

Also, for some sports at York you have to join the University team. OK yeah that's the same as Durham but far less so here. For example, at York if you want to row you have to join the Uni team, whilst at Durham every college has a boat club.

I don't know myself, but I'm just saying what this guy said to me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1385)
79.55%
Leave (356)
20.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed