100% Ums Watch

Mustard-man
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
how many raw marks (roughly) out of 60 can you drop and still get full UMS?
Kyoto
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'd say 2-3 MAX!
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yea thats about right. But it does depends on which exam you are doing. On the Core 1 papers for Maths, you need 75/75 for 100 UMS, while on Core 4, you need 66/75; so it does vary massively.
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vazzyb)
Yea thats about right. But it does depends on which exam you are doing. On the Core 1 papers for Maths, you need 75/75 for 100 UMS, while on Core 4, you need 66/75; so it does vary massively.
Oh right! Yeah, the core 1 paper is actually quite easy, so that's probably why. And of course it also depends on the exam board
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It depends how well everyone else does. 2-3 marks sounds about right, but when my teacher marked my sociology coursework he gave it 55/60 and it came back as 90/90, but he said the moderators didn't change it, so I must have dropped 5 raw marks and still got 100% UMS. I doubt I got full raw marks in either of the exams either, and I know I didn't get full raw marks in French listening!! 3 marks is probably the average.
Cirsium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It depends entirely on the subject and the paper
e.g. Maths it's entirely possible to get full marks therefore full marks is approximately equal to full UMS
Something like a languages speaking exam it's practically impossible to get full marks so you can drop something like 10 and still do it. Same applies for synoptic papers
Lawless
Report 12 years ago
It varies. I had 34/40 in economics unit 4 and had 90/90, so I dropped 6 whole raw marks out of a small (40 mark) paper and still had 90. Impossible to say a generic figure I'm afraid mate.
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
(Original post by kellywood_5)
I know I didn't get full raw marks in French listening!! 3 marks is probably the average.
yeah, I certainly know that gcse languages are scaled up.
girlgerms
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I got full UMS marks on two of my three History modules, but it is pretty difficult to actually get full raw marks on History papers, so I'd assume I dropped a couple of points at least.
Scottus_Mus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It does really vary between modules and subjects. For music I got 81% raw which became 100% UMS because everyone does do badly on the paper each year.
millano
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Can someone please explain to me what UMS and raw marks are. What actually counts to the 600 full ucas points and your grade. Because in biology we got some revison pack full of questions and at the front it said 60/75 marks will get you 105/105 ums and i just thought my teacher just made a mistake. Even if she was correct how can someone getting 60/75 get the same as someone getting 75/75. Im confused

thanks.
Scottus_Mus
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
They scale everything compared to an average. So you might have only got 90% but everyone else in the country might have done really bad, so the marks are scaled so that x% get an A etc. meaning that you're percentage at the top end will get larger too; so you end up with a higher UMS score that the grade you achieved. Alternatively if everyone did really well the raw marks could be scaled down, although I don't think this happens very often.
db
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
In coursework or AS Maths, about 1 or 2, for the harder Maths modules and Physics/Chem/Languages probably quite a bit
millano
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
but how can 60/75 be credtited equal to 75/75 i dont get it.
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
(Original post by millano)
but how can 60/75 be credtited equal to 75/75 i dont get it.
look, if everyone in the country found that exam hard, and the average was (extreme example just to emphasise) 20/75, then 60/75 would be a very high mark, thus when it gets converted into UMS, everyone's is scaled up.

The exam board use a curve to convert to UMS, so for example, throughout the country only the top 15% best marks are worth an A grade, etc
millano
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
im not complaining, it sound good to me thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (197)
27.86%
No (510)
72.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise