This discussion is closed.
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
I want to apply for a student ambassador scheme at uni, and I need to send a CV with my form, trouble is I've never written a CV before so don't know where to start! I was wandering if anyone had a template or anything to get me started, I need to hand this in tomorrow!

Thanks in advance!
woody
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Do you have word, cos then you can use a template from there, they are called resumes on some templates.
Chicken
Rep:
?
(Original post by woody)
Do you have word, cos then you can use a template from there, they are called resumes on some templates.
Ok thanks will have to try that, didn't know there was a template on word. Thanks!
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Chicken)
Ok thanks will have to try that, didn't know there was a template on word. Thanks!
A lot of books about getting a new job say that you shouldn't have "cv" or "curriculum vitae" as the heading. The employer already knows that it's a cv.

You should have your name as the heading, in fairly big letters, to make it stand out and to make the employer remember you.
Nicci_babe
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by woody)
how do you get CV's in template on word i cant find them.

To start a CV from scratch be honest to a degree do lie but be selective with the truth like i got an E at GCSE art but i never tell people i leave it out dont say you got an A. and remember u can be self obsessed in it you are selling u
woody
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
On my computer I open word and select new, then a box comes up and you would usually pick a blank document but instead you choose the document tab at the top and there is a list of stuff including resume templates.

But your computer might be different?
Nicci_babe
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
yeah mines the same almost i found it thanks (i already have a CV so i dunno y i was asking but i was curios)
Trousers
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Chicken)
I want to apply for a student ambassador scheme at uni, and I need to send a CV with my form, trouble is I've never written a CV before so don't know where to start! I was wandering if anyone had a template or anything to get me started, I need to hand this in tomorrow!

Thanks in advance!
PM it to me if you want me to proof-read it before you send it off (I'm an editor so I know what I'm doing - just about!).
woody
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
What do you edit?
Trousers
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by woody)
What do you edit?
I'm commercial editor for a website that deals with switching your utility suppliers. Not the most exciting thing in the world, but it pays the bills. I've written for other websites too (like MSN and Yahoo).

Proofing is quite a major part of my job though, so if anyone wants anything read through then just send it and I'll see what I can do.
xx
woody
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I'll try and remember that!
Chicken
Rep:
?
THankyou evryone for your help, I'm gonna use word as a base but sort of deviate from it a little, so it looks like i've at least made some effort!!
butterflew
Report 17 years ago
Apparently a slightly different and more noticeable format to take (instead of the usual - name, demographics, qualifications, employment history, statement why you want the job, hobbies) is to put, almost first thing after your name, a section called major achievements- really make the most of them. Also tailor your CV to the job- i.e. find out/ work out what skills and characteristics they are looking for and tailor what you have done so far to those. And make your hobbies/ leisure time thingy a bit more interesting than ' i like cinema, reading, tennis and going out with friends' - everyone says that
good luck
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I used a word template for my initial CV after graduation. I was so proud of it. Until I was sat in the temping agency and noticed a 15 yr olds CV in the exact same template.

Since then I've always made my own templates.

If you want I'll pm you a copy of my one page CV to have a look at.
butterflew
Report 17 years ago
pencil queen, could i see your CV too please? just curious how you squidged it all onto one page!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Bugger - can't attach cv's to PMs.

Edited to remove my address and phone numbers

It's not a comprehensive job just a quick and dirty this is me CV.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (105)
43.75%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (39)
16.25%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (91)
37.92%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
2.08%

Watched Threads