The Student Room Group

Becoming a primary school teacher?

If you have an unrelated degree...is it possible to do a masters course to become a primary school teacher?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

look into a primary pgce maybe?
Reply 2
You shouldn't be a teacher if you don't know that in most cases, it's "an" before a vowel :P

Also, any degree will be fine to teach in Primary School, you just need to do a course in teaching which can be done while you earn some money. Good luck :smile:
Original post by ojpearson
You shouldn't be a teacher if you don't know that in most cases, it's "an" before a vowel :P

Also, any degree will be fine to teach in Primary School, you just need to do a course in teaching which can be done while you earn some money. Good luck :smile:

Sorry :P loll...thanks for the info. :smile: gives me a bit of hope
Reply 4
I don't have a curriculum related degree (strictly speaking :tongue:) and am starting a primary PGCE this September. I know people on this course who have done degrees in English, Psychology, Business Management, and Philosophy just to name a few so there is a real variety. Some Uni's look for a specifically related degree and others don't so there are always options. The one thing I will say is that the Government are looking at changing the entry requirements (and possibly course content) of PGCE courses, and I think that from next year you will have to have at least a 2:2, although I have heard some people saying it will need to be a 2:1, to be able to do the course. It really is a waiting game though, seeing as they are looking at changing the curriculum's this summer who knows what will happen :frown:.
Original post by Bedella
I don't have a curriculum related degree (strictly speaking :tongue:) and am starting a primary PGCE this September. I know people on this course who have done degrees in English, Psychology, Business Management, and Philosophy just to name a few so there is a real variety. Some Uni's look for a specifically related degree and others don't so there are always options. The one thing I will say is that the Government are looking at changing the entry requirements (and possibly course content) of PGCE courses, and I think that from next year you will have to have at least a 2:2, although I have heard some people saying it will need to be a 2:1, to be able to do the course. It really is a waiting game though, seeing as they are looking at changing the curriculum's this summer who knows what will happen :frown:.

hi what uni are you going to ? :smile:
Reply 6
Hi, It's Hull University. You don't have to go down the PGCE route either, you could always do the work based route (GTP) as mentioned earlier, although its really hard to get onto as they have a very limited number of spaces. Also Teach First is looking to expand into primary as well, so lots of options! Are you at Uni? or have you already finished? The only reason I ask is that GTTR applications for PGCE's are still open this year if you've graduated :smile:.
Original post by Bedella
Hi, It's Hull University. You don't have to go down the PGCE route either, you could always do the work based route (GTP) as mentioned earlier, although its really hard to get onto as they have a very limited number of spaces. Also Teach First is looking to expand into primary as well, so lots of options! Are you at Uni? or have you already finished? The only reason I ask is that GTTR applications for PGCE's are still open this year if you've graduated :smile:.

loll that's good as I live in hull....:colondollar: loll...I have applied for a undergrad in a different subject to start this year...I really don't want to cancel my application and reapply for a teaching degree...due to the fee rise next year...I am interested in the course I have applied to...but somewhere down the line I want to become a primary school teacher...so I’m just looking at my options :smile:
Reply 8
I'm the same so don't worry :smile:. The PGCE is one of those courses where as long as you meet the entry requirements age doesn't matter so much, there are people on the course who are 21 right through to late 40 somethings. You've got plenty of time to sort it out, change your mind, do a gap year etc etc. I did my degree as it interested me (because there is no point, in my opinion, of doing one for the sake of it) and was told by my Uni career's advisors "you'll never get on a teaching course". Shows how wrong they were :biggrin:. If it's something you want to do I would say get some experience throughout your degree, as a) you'll find out whether it's for you or not and b) pretty much all uni's require at least 2 weeks work experience before they'll even consider you for interview, the more the better in most cases. Plenty of options, just enjoy your degree (as much as possible) and if it's still for you can apply for something in your final year. If that is a PGCE apply early!!!
Original post by Bedella
I'm the same so don't worry :smile:. The PGCE is one of those courses where as long as you meet the entry requirements age doesn't matter so much, there are people on the course who are 21 right through to late 40 somethings. You've got plenty of time to sort it out, change your mind, do a gap year etc etc. I did my degree as it interested me (because there is no point, in my opinion, of doing one for the sake of it) and was told by my Uni career's advisors "you'll never get on a teaching course". Shows how wrong they were :biggrin:. If it's something you want to do I would say get some experience throughout your degree, as a) you'll find out whether it's for you or not and b) pretty much all uni's require at least 2 weeks work experience before they'll even consider you for interview, the more the better in most cases. Plenty of options, just enjoy your degree (as much as possible) and if it's still for you can apply for something in your final year. If that is a PGCE apply early!!!

Thank you for all the help!!! Did you do any work experience within a primary school before you applied for your PGCE? If so did you find it easy getting the experience?
Reply 10
I did a TA qualification before I did my degree so worked in a school 6 months full time. I also had summer playscheme experience for a number of years. Although this was a great boost to my application most Uni's like recent experience, as in that school year, so before I applied I made sure I had at least 2 weeks (I think I did 3). It can be quite difficult to arrange I contacted a lot of schools and only got one response, see if your University do a student scheme (I forget the name sorry!) where you get to do experience in primary schools that they help arrange. Also contact any local schools you have connections with as they can be more helpful if you know them, be it your old primary school, a siblings, or if you know someone who can get your foot in the door. Don't give up, I ended up contacting places twice as no-one responded first time round and avoid really busy times like the first few weeks of the Autumn term, SATs time (usually May/June) and the last few weeks of Summer as both I and other people have found you are more likely to get ignored! It is pretty much essential for you to do classroom experience. Even with this I was asked to do a further 2 weeks as part of my conditional offer, and I should point out whilst my experience may seem alot I know some people who got on with the bare minimum of 2 weeks and others who have worked as TA's for a number of years who didn't!
Original post by Bedella
I did a TA qualification before I did my degree so worked in a school 6 months full time. I also had summer playscheme experience for a number of years. Although this was a great boost to my application most Uni's like recent experience, as in that school year, so before I applied I made sure I had at least 2 weeks (I think I did 3). It can be quite difficult to arrange I contacted a lot of schools and only got one response, see if your University do a student scheme (I forget the name sorry!) where you get to do experience in primary schools that they help arrange. Also contact any local schools you have connections with as they can be more helpful if you know them, be it your old primary school, a siblings, or if you know someone who can get your foot in the door. Don't give up, I ended up contacting places twice as no-one responded first time round and avoid really busy times like the first few weeks of the Autumn term, SATs time (usually May/June) and the last few weeks of Summer as both I and other people have found you are more likely to get ignored! It is pretty much essential for you to do classroom experience. Even with this I was asked to do a further 2 weeks as part of my conditional offer, and I should point out whilst my experience may seem alot I know some people who got on with the bare minimum of 2 weeks and others who have worked as TA's for a number of years who didn't!

Thank you! :smile:
one thing I will say is that the Government are looking at changing the entry requirements

Was just wondering does this mean that the requirements for a primary PGCE would be at least a 2:2 or 2:1? Or does it also mean that the government will want only national curriculum degree subjects for the primary PGCE?

I am quite worried because I have an unrelated degree subject and will graduate in a year, then do my PGCE but what if the gov want to change it so only national curriculum holders get primary pgce places. :s-smilie:
Reply 13
From what I have read and been told (both by advisers on the TES website and my Uni) from next year the minimum extry requirement is going to be a 2:2 honours degree as the Government is not going to provide funding for anyone with a third anymore. Originally people were talking about it being a 2:1 but no-one seems sure. I have read and heard about people saying that the Government want it to be strictly national curriculum degrees but haven't found anything concrete to justify this yet so don't panic!! I don't know whether they will change it (as lets face it anything could be decided) and if they did whether it could be put in place before the 2012 start. Until they actually state that "this is what we're doing" I don't think we'll know, there are a lot of reviews being undertaken at the moment so its really up in the air. Looking at various uni sites some are still saying that it doesn't have to be maths/english/science etc etc degrees for primary at the mo. I know how you feel. I was bloody lucky to get on this year and that was my big fear for next year, I wish I could give you a concrete answer. The best bet is to stay calm and carry on! :tongue:. Just get the application in through GTTR asap in Sept!
Thanks so much! I really hope I they don't change anything, just have to wait and see.
Congrats on getting accepted, must feel amazing :smile:
Reply 15
Thankyou!! Its still not fully sunk it to be honest! Especially after my uni careers advisor telling me it would never happen hahaha :tongue:. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all you guys with non curriculum specific degrees and hoping they don't change anything. After all 6 months ago I was worrying over the same thing. Good luck for your final year! :biggrin:
Thank you. I think its quite out of order that your uni careers adviser said that, what degree did you do anyways? What ever happened to being positive lol!
Reply 17
Haha at my old uni they didn't much care about upbeat and positive behaviour in our bit. I can't actually tell you what degree I did as it would be pretty easy to identify both the uni and myself as its fairly uncommon (and only 5 or 6 of us graduated :tongue:) but suffice to say it was a health sciences type degree! In my opinion its always worth a shot regardless of what people tell you, its just a case of looking at the entry requirements for particular uni's and figuring out whether you've got a chance. I went into the whole PGCE application cycle thinking "at least if I get invited to interview I know my degree is applicable" and after hearing loads of people talk about how it was their fifth interview or 2nd/3rd year of trying didn't think I'd get in. Just goes to show that you never can tell! :smile:
Yeah I agree its always worth a shot! I just don't want to go to interview after interview and get rejected lol. I guess I could always go for a business pgce, since my degree is business orientated, but I really do have a passion for primary teaching.

Wow only 5 or 6 of you graduated, that is quite cool - a nice way of looking at it is that you have unique skills that probably is in high demand. :smile:
Reply 19
One of the girls at my interview had done a business management so nothings impossible, I don't know whether she got on or not but there were definately a few with similar degrees there. The way I got around it is by linking parts of the curriculum to my degree in interview and saying I've done that! For example theres one bit in the PHSE/Citizenship thingy that says "pupils should have knowledge of the body and that all drugs can do harm" (or something like that) and I said that in interview and linked it to the module I'd done! All degrees have English and ICT in, I would imagine yours has lots of both. They also like research methods, I cursed my Uni for making me do two modules of the stuff but thats your maths link for PGCE. I should also point out that I don't have any A-levels, I have a childcare qualification equal to three but no actual A-levels :smile:. You could always apply for both to cover yourself, I remember at interview being asked numerous times why this age group, and I just repeated the same thing. At least you've got the summer to think it over, its really hard work. We've been warned that social life, free time and holidays pretty much don't exsist for next year!!

Quick Reply

Latest