This discussion is closed.
quinnbrakes
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Realise this isnt only oxbridge related but you kind people seem to know so much.

Im pretty sure I want to be a lawyer (boo hiss) after uni and was planing on going the CPE route hopefully with a training contact to help pay it all but recently ive been thinking about the big US of A

I know the JD is a three year postgrad programme and i know it costs an arm and a leg ($31,000 a year!) but is there any sensible way of pulling it off? Scholarships financial aid ect...

Also is it worth it?
Vitriol
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Worth it = maybe.

Get into HYS and you're in for $$$ on receiving your JD. Make sure you ace the LSAT if you want a decent shot at those places and other Top-14 schools.
anonymity
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
depending on which law school you graduate from and whether you pass the bar test, your starting salary as a lawyer in the US can be 100,000 $ [top 10 schools and a nyc/dc/boston/chicago or cali firm]
Vitriol
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah Quinn, what it comes down to is:

Less debt + Less salary here in the UK.

More debt + more salary if you graduate from Top-14 in the US.

I opted for ther former, but if you can get yourself into a US firm (Cleary, Covington etc.) you may get NY rates in London which is RARE. Still £70 or 80k in London will not get you as good a lifestyle as $140-160K in NY.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (206)
42.83%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (74)
15.38%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (193)
40.12%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.66%

Watched Threads