Dorset vs. Devon - Which county has better beaches and prettier scenery inland?

Watch this thread
HonestBob
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
The English counties of Dorset and Devon both have great reputations for their beaches and idylic scenery. However, of the two, which in your opinion is the best for beautiful sandy beaches on their coast and pretty leafy countryside in their interior?
melmel
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 years ago
Devon because of the moorland...

(Original post by HonestBob)
The English counties of Dorset and Devon both have great reputations for their beaches and idylic scenery. However, of the two, which in your opinion is the best for beautiful sandy beaches on their coast and pretty leafy countryside in their interior?
HonestBob
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I'm leaning toward Dorset. The beaches in Dorset appear to be made up of real sand and not pebbles and mud like most British beaches. Plus, I notice a lot of the Dorset coast has cliffs and shade trees overlooking their beaches. Most of Devon seems to be flat treeless moor and then all of a sudden it turns into coast and beach.

Right or wrong?:confused:
DannyBoy123
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Dorset, although I'm biased as I used to live there.

Personally, I don't see anything particularly beautiful about sparse moorland and the beaches are amazing.
Rogercbinboy
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Dorset I'd say, having lived in Devon and been to Dorset.
initiation
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Devon, North Coast beaches such as Croyde, Woolacombe & Saunton Sands are some of the best beaches in UK (as long as it's not too busy...try Crow Point at the end of Saunton, not usually as packed). Drop a few miles in land and you have lush rolling hill sides.
Sim188
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
I think cornwall is better than both
mahaneap
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Dorset has the best beaches, easily. It also has better coastal features - Lulworth Cove, Durdle Door, Poole Harbour. Devon has Exmoor and Dartmoor, so probably has better landscape inland.
WelshBluebird
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Devon (granted I am a bit biased because my gf is from there lol).
Louis Belasco
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by initiation)
Devon, North Coast beaches such as Croyde, Woolacombe & Saunton Sands are some of the best beaches in UK (as long as it's not too busy...try Crow Point at the end of Saunton, not usually as packed). Drop a few miles in land and you have lush rolling hill sides.
I bet you haven't even been to Dorset.
Realist555
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Definitely Dorset, I've lived in both and devon is Very old fashioned, people think they are in the 1950's, Trust me almost verging on ignorant! Dorset is younger trendier and in touch with the 21st century. Dartmoor is scary and so are the people who have lived there forever and they Hate out of towners!!!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (52)
26.4%
As I expected (65)
32.99%
Harder (72)
36.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.06%

Watched Threads