Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    NUS are pretty rubbish though. the only benefit i feel i'd get from being in NUS is the discounts...

ICU is crap in many ways (esp if you have to deal with them on a day to day basis), but that's independent from the shortcomings of NUS, so I would say that that isn't a reason for us to not be a member of ICU. the Union does offer us alot more advantages than if we were just an NUS member. all the IC societies are alot closer, and for all the money problems we get, there is an INCREDIBLY wide range of societies for you to join, which is unrivalled by pretty much any other british uni that I know.
    OK so both NUS and ICU are crap, but imo the NUS would represent us better than ICU, mainly because it'd have more clout. Plus we'd get better discounts which I think shouldnt be understated. True we have more clubs and socs but even with that the union are a bit rubbish with they way it deals with things. And is having sooo many clubs a good idea - means less money for each club.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom H)
    But the IQ crowd do know how to party and know all the best gay places in London. So make sure you don't upset them
    They seem fun!!! I've got a friend that has joint them this year (the goodlooking one LOL) The thing is... that it's very difficult for a British guy to attract me... I should go to study in Bosnia or Croatia really :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitsune)
    They seem fun!!! I've got a friend that has joint them this year (the goodlooking one LOL) The thing is... that it's very difficult for a British guy to attract me... I should go to study in Bosnia or Croatia really :p:
    You're quite superficial really, aren't you?

--------------

(Original post by pkonline)
    OK so both NUS and ICU are crap, but imo the NUS would represent us better than ICU, mainly because it'd have more clout. Plus we'd get better discounts which I think shouldnt be understated. True we have more clubs and socs but even with that the union are a bit rubbish with they way it deals with things. And is having sooo many clubs a good idea - means less money for each club.
    NUS has no clout, it's a club for future Labour politicians to join. We might get more discounts, but it'd cost a lot of money to affiliate with the NUS, and that would have to come from somewhere... Thankfully you're in a minority wanting to rejoin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    NUS has no clout, it's a club for future Labour politicians to join. We might get more discounts, but it'd cost a lot of money to affiliate with the NUS, and that would have to come from somewhere... Thankfully you're in a minority wanting to rejoin.
    The NUS has more clout than ICU - ok as a Tory u may not agree with their views/policies, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't join it. As for the cost, I think its worth paying. TBH I dont quite know what value im getting with ICU at the mo anyway lol!

I think we need a proper unbias debate, based on fact, with real practical issues being spoken about - not issues either irrelevant or simply to boost people's egos. The students of IC deserve a national voice and deserve a better union.

ReputationRep:
    You talk about ICU and NUS, but don't forget we're still in ULU and hopefully still will be after the split.

To be honest, I don't think we need a national voice anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom H)
    You talk about ICU and NUS, but don't forget we're still in ULU and hopefully still will be after the split.

To be honest, I don't think we need a national voice anyway.
    Hopefully we will still be part of ULU, but I was thinking in case we leave that too. I'm just hoping Imperial's negotiation skills are as good as they say - all for leaving the UoL tho .

ReputationRep:
    You're quite superficial really, aren't you?
    oh c'mon!!! dont take my comments that seriously! ... but first impressions counts... quite a lot! At least, at the beginning

--------------

how come we can still be part of ULU if we are not in the UL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitsune)
    how come we can still be part of ULU if we are not in the UL?
    Because ULU is almost a seperate entity.

ReputationRep:
    OHHH SO COOL!!! Then I can still join the clubs at ULU

ReputationRep:
    The NUS has more clout than ICU - ok as a Tory u may not agree with their views/policies, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't join it. As for the cost, I think its worth paying. TBH I dont quite know what value im getting with ICU at the mo anyway lol!

I think we need a proper unbias debate, based on fact, with real practical issues being spoken about - not issues either irrelevant or simply to boost people's egos. The students of IC deserve a national voice and deserve a better union.
    I think Ed does have a point though.... the NUS do seem to be a more Labour orientated union.

As an average student, our main concern with student unions is that they should provide and support a wide range of activities, offer good entertainment/cheap drinks/discounts with other companies, and also have representation if and when it is needed.

I think that ICU is ok at most of the above (even though the ents are a shambles and as we've already mentioned, some companies don't recognise us as students)... it may not have the political power of NUS but few students really need their case represented on a national level. At least ICU can claim to know the procedures of the College better than NUS.

Also, we get comparatively few benefits being in NUS for the large sum of money we would pay them. The union is poor enough - if you ask many of the smaller clubs and societies... a lot of the requests in their budgets were turned down for the simple reason (as worded exactly): 'Zero funds, sorry'.

Although that may be more to do with the way union money is spent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    I think Ed does have a point though.... the NUS do seem to be a more Labour orientated union.
    True it may be politically towards the left, but it does debate properly issues that effect us as students. Imo ICU doesnt do anything worthwhile.

As an average student, our main concern with student unions is that they should provide and support a wide range of activities, offer good entertainment/cheap drinks/discounts with other companies, and also have representation if and when it is needed.

I think that ICU is ok at most of the above (even though the ents are a shambles and as we've already mentioned, some companies don't recognise us as students)...
    So what is it good at then :p:?!

it may not have the political power of NUS but few students really need their case represented on a national level. At least ICU can claim to know the procedures of the College better than NUS.
    I disagree - the whole point of a union is to give a collective voice to the masses!

Also, we get comparatively few benefits being in NUS for the large sum of money we would pay them. The union is poor enough - if you ask many of the smaller clubs and societies... a lot of the requests in their budgets were turned down for the simple reason (as worded exactly): 'Zero funds, sorry'.
    The union and College isnt poor, it just seems to spend money on stuff which doesnt really affect us - to many rebrands etc... One of my earlier points I made is that is having soo many clubs and socs such a good idea. Just look at the number of clubs out there where memberships are either minimal or extinct - bit of a waste. As a treasurer for a club myself, I've seen my budget cut by over a half, whilst in the meantime i've seen some clubs either overspend or are so small that only a handful actually benefit. Plus there's so much red tape and crap at the union, its so hard to get any co-operation from them.

ReputationRep:
    True it may be politically towards the left, but it does debate properly issues that effect us as students. Imo ICU doesnt do anything worthwhile.
    but some things NUS debate don't really have much to do with students either. I'd rather have things that were student orientated.
    So what is it good at then :p:?!
    The drinks are cheaper than in other unions. Union nights cost less to get in to (but also worse I grant that).

Setting up a new society is relatively easy if you can muster support. It is incredibly important to have a diverse range of clubs and societies, so everyone at uni can be involved in some way or other!

And most local companies do provide alot of discounts to Imperial students. As I said, the companies that do not are a minority.
    I disagree - the whole point of a union is to give a collective voice to the masses!
    In the right areas. Most cases where internal students need representation is against the College or College associated bodies. So why do we need a large organisation which doesn't understand how college procedures work? It just creates more paperwork and wastes more time at the end of day
    The union and College isnt poor, it just seems to spend money on stuff which doesnt really affect us - to many rebrands etc... One of my earlier points I made is that is having soo many clubs and socs such a good idea. Just look at the number of clubs out there where memberships are either minimal or extinct - bit of a waste. As a treasurer for a club myself, I've seen my budget cut by over a half, whilst in the meantime i've seen some clubs either overspend or are so small that only a handful actually benefit. Plus there's so much red tape and crap at the union, its so hard to get any co-operation from them.
    I agree that the Union wastes alot of money on rebrands and similar, but I think societies with enough interest should be allowed to exist. It's not a club's fault the Union can't spend it's money efficiently... one of the best things the union does is allow this range of diversity, and to shut down a club purely because it has fewer members (above a certain minimum) would be unfair.

Tim Aplin this year is a v efficient DPFS, and I can see him culling any clubs that are near extinct. Although some clubs realistically cannot be closed down (such as RSM motor club with it's 7 or 8 members), and other clubs could argue for their survival with that precedent.

I personally chair a club which had it's budget cut completely, so we had to literally beg for contingency money last term till we got it. Many of the smaller clubs are, if anything, underfunded... it's the large clubs who get the most attention, and where more money is wasted. Take a look at Rugby who have some £11000 to spend - look at how much money they get for their piss ups (officially Hospitality or similar).

I agree with you about red tape at the union. There's too much bureaucracy going on, and tbh quite a few of the sabs aren't particularly good at their jobs. But many of the good people don't really want to run for such a stressful positions because once in office, you'd have to sort out the mess that lots of crap predecessors have left you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    but some things NUS debate don't really have much to do with students either. I'd rather have things that were student rientated.
    ICU can debate "local" issues and NUS can represent us on "national" issues, thus we'll have the best of both worlds .

The drinks are cheaper than in other unions. Union nights cost less to get in to (but also worse I grant that).
    True but as u say not many pple go the union, esp in the older years, so for many there is no benefit of there being cheap booze! Plus i'd rather get discounts in places like Topman, Odeon etc than a few pennies off beer. True some local places accept the security ID but its hard to get discount in places outside South Ken (- which tbh i dont spend any time at anyway), the rest on London and the UK.

Setting up a new society is relatively easy if you can muster support. It is incredibly important to have a diverse range of clubs and societies, so everyone at uni can be involved in some way or other!
    I agree having a diverse range of activities is good, but as money is quite short, i think having a smaller yet well-funded clubs/socs would be more beneficial than having lots of little ones.

Although some clubs realistically cannot be closed down (such as RSM motor club with it's 7 or 8 members), and other clubs could argue for their survival with that precedent.
    Why cant that club be culled? If only 7 or 8 participate in it then its hardly beneficial for the wider student body.

ReputationRep:
    ppl say that they have trouble getting discounts with there Imperial cards, I managed to get discounts in Nottingham Clubs, and even when I was on Holiday in Sweden, no one refused me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielbolt)
    ppl say that they have trouble getting discounts with there Imperial cards, I managed to get discounts in Nottingham Clubs, and even when I was on Holiday in Sweden, no one refused me.
    True, but for every occassion when it is accepted, there a countless others when they aren't, or u have to kick up a fuss.

ReputationRep:
    Why cant that club be culled? If only 7 or 8 participate in it then its hardly beneficial for the wider student body.
    RSM motorclub is a tradition. Their car is like an RSM mascot, so the club can't ever be shut down as someone always needs to be there to make it work!

ReputationRep:
    Most of us aren't shopaholics. :p:
    Lol wot else is there to do in the lovely borough of K&C! Too many temptations!

But seriously even if it saves a few pounds its still worth having - the odd trip to the cinema, pizza hut, oxf st etc.... .

--------------

(Original post by 4Ed)
    RSM motorclub is a tradition. Their car is like an RSM mascot, so the club can't ever be shut down as someone always needs to be there to make it work!
    If its such an important tradition why the dont more pple contribute? Nevertheless some things I agree cant be culled as it would be sacriligous, but u must agree that there are many clubs and socs that either overlap in what they do, or have so few members/income that they just aint viable.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.