The Student Room Group

Tattoo Appreciation Soc. Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

:sadnod:
I am hardly ever tired these days.
Just quoting these in here to keep spam out of the serious thread.

Original post by LtCommanderData
Sounds good. I'm entirely in favour of science fiction inspired tattoos. I highly doubt I'll die without any Star Trek tattoos, although I don't have any specific plans for one right now.

There's so much cool machinery from the Star Wars universe. I really like the aesthetics of big machines :tongue:

Totally. I fully intend to get at least one Firefly-inspired tattoo, a Mass Effect one, and possibly a Battlestar one :h:

Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
:rofl:

:toofunny:

I feel so sorry for the artist!
I'm off Friday :frown: I'm in Saturday, and then Monday-Thursday :smile:

Hurhurhur, sounds like we're going on our first date :p:
Original post by Jace Falco

Totally. I fully intend to get at least one Firefly-inspired tattoo, a Mass Effect one, and possibly a Battlestar one

Nice - I'd definitely consider a battlestar tattoo at some point :biggrin:
Original post by LtCommanderData
Nice - I'd definitely consider a battlestar tattoo at some point :biggrin:

Maybe get my Viper wings :p:
:h::suith:
Original post by Jace Falco
Is that Ganesha?

It's an Indian Elephant but not Ganesha. Its acutally the record label of Brian Johnson Massacre. On google images type" "keep music evil"
Original post by zjs
S'pose it depends on how much you like the type of bird in question, or how an artist/tattooist has represented it. Owls are pretty popular, so there are so pretty cool designs, if you're looking for it coloured in an original way. How many tats you looking to get, ultimately?

Yeah I know, I was just messing! That's how it feels though, I want a tattoo, sort of, but I have no idea what I'd want and the whole process is off-putting. :colondollar: The needle fear probably isn't insurmountable, it just depends how much I build it up. The permanent could be a problem, simply because I can't think of anything permanent that I'd feel strongly enough to have at the minute.

That's good for cost and time! Someone I know had an awful back tattoo, that covers his whole back and rips off a "celeb tat" (:sick:), that set him back £400 and took five hours. Waiting for A Level results then? What do you need? I've just finished my third year at uni, results were dire - complete **** up, despite really trying, so I'm waiting to see whether I can retake or what my final degree will come out as. :emo:

I'm not usually in hospital much, I try and avoid it whenever I can. Managed to avoid hospital for a week a couple of times when I had broken bones but convinced myself they weren't. :redface: Not that I mind hospitals themselves, I just don't like the whole pain/surgery thing. :no:

I really don't know aha, it depends what course of action my life takes, and all that jazz. I like the idea of getting tattoos to represent memories, so I could technically end up covered, although hopefully no more than five; that said, it depends on how big they are/etc. :smile:

Ahh, well I'm sure that you'll settle upon something, eventually, even if it's when you're 80 odd :tongue: I think there was a lady in the news a while back, who got a tattoo when she was pretting much knocking on death's door ahaha.

That sounds pretty savage and a waste of money :') could never get an identical tattoo to someone, especially not a celebrity. Unless it was like, I don't know, something that me and someone connected to me (best friend) got to represent our friendship or something.

Yeah I am, the wait is killing me! Keep having dreams about getting accepted and rejected, I'm ridiculously sad :smile: I need BBC, which is achievable, but I'm unsure as to whether or not I've got the requirement haha, which is quite sad really since the majority on TSR can get A/Bs in their sleep (:

Sorry to hear that man, I'm sure they'll let you retake :smile: if they don't, they're complete jebends!

Blimey, broken bones and not going to hospital? What are you, superman? :tongue: I don't mind the surgery or anything, as whenever I've had it, I've always been in unbearable pain beforehand, so afterwards it feels like nothing! :smile:
Reply 1088
Original post by ironandwine
I really don't know aha, it depends what course of action my life takes, and all that jazz. I like the idea of getting tattoos to represent memories, so I could technically end up covered, although hopefully no more than five; that said, it depends on how big they are/etc. :smile:

Ahh, well I'm sure that you'll settle upon something, eventually, even if it's when you're 80 odd :tongue: I think there was a lady in the news a while back, who got a tattoo when she was pretting much knocking on death's door ahaha.

That sounds pretty savage and a waste of money :') could never get an identical tattoo to someone, especially not a celebrity. Unless it was like, I don't know, something that me and someone connected to me (best friend) got to represent our friendship or something.

Yeah I am, the wait is killing me! Keep having dreams about getting accepted and rejected, I'm ridiculously sad :smile: I need BBC, which is achievable, but I'm unsure as to whether or not I've got the requirement haha, which is quite sad really since the majority on TSR can get A/Bs in their sleep (:

Sorry to hear that man, I'm sure they'll let you retake :smile: if they don't, they're complete jebends!

Blimey, broken bones and not going to hospital? What are you, superman? :tongue: I don't mind the surgery or anything, as whenever I've had it, I've always been in unbearable pain beforehand, so afterwards it feels like nothing! :smile:

Five could still be a fair few, if they're big. I think that it's fine, as long as they're good quality tattoos. Even better if they have some meaning. Getting loads of random little generic symbols with no meaning would be a bit pointless, but other than that, it's all good. Where would you get a tattoo then (other than your arm/forearm)?

There'll probably be something I really like, or decide to design to have meaning, at some point in my life. I just don't think I have any idea what it'll be just yet. Some day though, even if I am on my deathbed. :moon:

There was some very slight alterations added but yeah, it was basically a carbon copy of a celebrity tattoo that had no meaning to them whatsoever. Quite a recognisable tattoo as well. :teehee:

I'm sure you'll be fine! How did you do in your AS results? My results day wasn't the best, because my UCAS track didn't update before I had to go in and collect results and I missed my offer. Phoned them up and they let me in anyway. It's often the case if you only miss out on it by a grade, and sometimes more.

Well, I'm sort of banking on them doing that. I don't know though. They let people repeat other years, so I don't see why they wouldn't, but it might only be available with mitigating circumstances. Whatever will be, will be, I s'pose. :sigh: Haha, I wish :daydreaming: They were only relatively minor bones like fingers/knuckles, bones that you don't feel as much (like ribs; not the best idea :colondollar:) etc rather than, say, a leg.
Original post by zjs
Five could still be a fair few, if they're big. I think that it's fine, as long as they're good quality tattoos. Even better if they have some meaning. Getting loads of random little generic symbols with no meaning would be a bit pointless,

Ah I dunno - some of the meanings people spout out for their tattoos are so twee and pretentious that it's almost better to get them just because you like them sometimes. I mean, why do people get pin up girls and Sailor Jerry style classic stuff for example? Not a lot of meaning there, but they still look cool.
Reply 1090
Original post by frankieboy
Ah I dunno - some of the meanings people spout out for their tattoos are so twee and pretentious that it's almost better to get them just because you like them sometimes. I mean, why do people get pin up girls and Sailor Jerry style classic stuff for example? Not a lot of meaning there, but they still look cool.

I don't think tattoos have to have a meaning, no. They can be something to appreciate as art for the sake of art; a thing of beauty. That said, if you're getting something small and fairly generic like a star etc, I think it's better to have some reason to get it; some meaning behind it.
Original post by zjs
I don't think tattoos have to have a meaning, no. They can be something to appreciate as art for the sake of art; a thing of beauty. That said, if you're getting something small and fairly generic like a star etc, I think it's better to have some reason to get it; some meaning behind it.

Yeah I agree.
Personally when I get tattooed I like them to have a meaning and look pretty!

There are quite a few script ones I want which obviously are more meaning based, but then some picture ones which are aesthetically pleasing but also have a meaning to me
Reply 1093
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Personally when I get tattooed I like them to have a meaning and look pretty!

There are quite a few script ones I want which obviously are more meaning based, but then some picture ones which are aesthetically pleasing but also have a meaning to me

Well this too, ofc, but I thought that was a given. I was agreeing that something doesn't have to have meaning to be a great tattoo; the aesthetic beauty of body art is enough, and if something's not as intricate, it's better if it has a meaning. Both is best, of course, but isn't necessary. :yes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by zjs
Well this too, ofc, but I thought that was a given. I was agreeing that something doesn't have to have meaning to be a great tattoo; the aesthetic beauty of body art is enough, and if something's not as intricate, it's better if it has a meaning. Both is best, of course, but isn't necessary. :yes:

Agreed. But for me as I will have to battle with my parents every step of the way, something with meaning is gonna be better than "it's pretty"
Reply 1095
Agreed. But for me as I will have to battle with my parents every step of the way, something with meaning is gonna be better than "it's pretty"

Surely that depends on where you get it, though? I mean, if it's somewhere that they won't see, do they have to be told about it?
Original post by zjs
Surely that depends on where you get it, though? I mean, if it's somewhere that they won't see, do they have to be told about it?

Where won't they see...only areas not covered by bikini...kinda tricky... esp as I want one on my wrist, one on my ankle, one on neck
Reply 1097
Where won't they see...only areas not covered by bikini...kinda tricky... esp as I want one on my wrist, one on my ankle, one on neck

Unless you avoid family holidays or sunbathing at home. :moon:
Original post by zjs
Unless you avoid family holidays or sunbathing at home. :moon:

But family holidays = free holiday

And we have a pool at home...
Reply 1099
But family holidays = free holiday

And we have a pool at home...

A pool? Ooh lah de da. :camp: What possessed them to build a pool in Scotland? :teehee:

I suppose that could be an issue. Are they really that concerned about tattoos then, like totally anti them?

Quick Reply