Best Universities For Architecture???

Watch this thread
DANIELHAWKRIDGE95
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I am just wondering which are the best universities to study architecture at?

Also, I'm doing A-Levels in Maths Mechanics, Physics, Geography and ICT but will I be able to study Architecture at university without A-Level Art?
sophiekatina
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 years ago
I've heard Bristol UWE is excellent for this. Take a look.

Your best bet is looking for your ideal course, do a UCAS search and take a look at the programme in detail and see whether it suits you.

You'll have to check whether you need A-Level Art but if you do on a certain course and you'd really like to apply for the course you can always do foundation art after your A-Levels at a University or College before undertaking the Undergraduate programme.
spurswilts
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
The best schools of architecture in terms of the quality of work, employers opinions and competition for places are:
UCL
Sheffield University
Glasgow School of Art.

Bath, Cambridge, Cardiff (and maybe the AA) are also very well respected. Westminster seems to have won a few of RIBA awards recently but there seems a greater difference between the best and worst work than other schools and student dropout and satisfaction is not so good. It all depends what u are in to really, some schools put greater emphasis on design, some on CAD, some on engineering, others on environmental stuff. You can study without A level art but many of the best schools base their decision on a portfolio because of the number of applicants with 3As+ so it is important to be creative and imaginative.
reviresco
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
UCL
Cardiff
Bath
Sheffield
Manchester
The AA
GSA

Oxford Brookes is actually quite good if you're running low on tariff points.

UCL would be a lot of peoples top choice, but its very arts based so it might not suit those who are purely technically minded.

Portfolio not A-Level.
ultimate mashup
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
This 2012 architechture league table may help:

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...s=Architecture
username828075
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Manchester vs. Leeds vs. Oxford Brookes?

Which one?
Funmbi
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Bath!!! I already doing it there so it instantly better!! :P

I have friends in ucl and they hate it...I mean we both suffer from excessive sleep deprivation. You wont have much of a life anyway so you might a well go somewhere quiter and cheaper.. sheifield and other non london unis are good as well.
yeahyeahyeahs
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Nikinilo)
Manchester vs. Leeds vs. Oxford Brookes?

Which one?
Leeds University's architectural engineering is not a architecture course.
Pedantic Teen
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Cambridge?
username828075
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by yeahyeahyeahs)
Leeds University's architectural engineering is not a architecture course.
Alright!
Thanks
if u had to pick :Manchester or Brookes?
irina793
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Help, I'm stuck at this too!! UCL is my first, i just loooove the feel of the course, I'm more arts oriented, and I would like something similar to UCL to put as my second... Any thoughts?
sandy42900
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
i would say definitely cardiff, as it saves a year( shorter course) plus good ranking....
please correct me if i am wrong.
KeyserNI
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sandy42900)
i would say definitely cardiff, as it saves a year( shorter course) plus good ranking....
please correct me if i am wrong.
You do an extra year in practice and one less in university but that doesn't count towards your Part III exams so it still takes a minimum of 7 years just like everywhere else.
sandy42900
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
considering i am an international student and don't need to do part III, i am o.k with part II in my country.....what then?
KeyserNI
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
It still takes two years to do a Part II at Cardiff, you can't complete it without enrolled on the course for two years, spending one of the years in practice and one in university.
jrhartley
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
the advantage being that you're earning for one year more than other universities.
sandy42900
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
what you mean is ...it takes a total of five years to get a march degree... three years for part one (riba) and two years for part two....thats one year less than other colleges.?
jrhartley
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sandy42900)
what you mean is ...it takes a total of five years to get a march degree... three years for part one (riba) and two years for part two....thats one year less than other colleges.?
no what i mean is you go to university for one year to do your part 2 at cardiff. you work for one year, then you have one year full time at cardiff. that means you are working for a year longer than people on other part 2 courses who have 2 years full time academia. you have a year of (hopefully) working and earning money when others are studying.
architectureECG
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
This is really helpful. Can you tell me which universities offering architecture are arts based pleased?
architectureECG
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by architectureECG)
This is really helpful. Can you tell me which universities offering architecture are arts based pleased?
…. or more artsy than engineering maths-focussed? I’m guessing from comments above that UCL is? I find it hard to tell from online course descriptions. Am keen on Edinburgh, Bath, Cardiff, Nottingham, Oxford Brookes, Sheffield, Newcastle & Manchester…
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
17.68%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (41)
25%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (85)
51.83%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (9)
5.49%

Watched Threads