Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Alright fine; "I am definitely going to get in, Im sure of it. I know it, Im positive, Im certain. I think I absolutely hammered my interviews, and I have no doubt as to what my letter might bear! "

Apparently, such a statement would be more to your liking wouldnt it puppy? However, those of us who have applied have quite a bit more at stake here. I take it that it is mere superstition or lack of strength that drives us to constantly remind ourselves ( & everyone else) that we will not get in. However, that really doesnt mean much. All of us who say so are hoping like hell that we do get in and we know that we have a chance to get in. We just do not blatantly say it for fear of (1.) jinxing the whole letter (2.) seeming like an obnoxious arse. Without being so rigid as to call everyone who says so stupid, the more knowledgable thing for you to do would be to accept the fact that all of us are scared, as we have a lot at stake here; all of us know we do have a chance, but we just keep saying we dont just for the heck of it. Judging by your comments, I dont think you have applied to Cambridge this year. I say so because Im yet to find someone who is as confident about the whole thing and be strong enough not to fall in to the typical "Im not going to get in" path. As for the rest of us who take this path, LET US!! Because no matter what we say will change what is in the letter. By taking this path, we can just survive it better until the letter actually arrives.
    Well said!! : )

ReputationRep:
    There IS a middle ground of "I don't know, let's wait and see" or just not talking about the application.

I'm not going to pass judgement - I know that it's stressful being an Oxbridge applicant (even more so if your letter gets lost, grrr) and even some of the the best applicants get the panicky self-doubt at this stage. However, I can also understand why numerous self-deprecating posts can come across as slightly histrionic, regardless of intention.

Almost there. Cheer up and forget about it in the last few days...

ReputationRep:
    That's all well and good, but you have to have confidence in yourself. After my interviews, I wasn't so much worried about whether I'd get an offer or not, as whether it would be AAA or less. I didn't want to have to do too much work. I didn't ram this opinion down anyone's throat, but I felt it. Self-deprecating's fine up to a point, but if you're good enough to go to Cambridge then why tempt fate. Just be confident in yourself, or unconfident, whatever. No one will sympathise with your fear because you keep complaining that you probably didn't get in, they'll just think you probably won't get in, and so will care less when you don't.

And it's shortsighted to say there's that much at stake. Cambridge is awesome, I love it. I would have loved wherever I went, and would have been delighted with Edinburgh, my second choice. Some people hate it though, and your life won't be that much easier for going here. In fact, your university years will be that much tougher.

(Original post by manthi)
    Alright fine; "I am definitely going to get in, Im sure of it. I know it, Im positive, Im certain. I think I absolutely hammered my interviews, and I have no doubt as to what my letter might bear! "

Apparently, such a statement would be more to your liking wouldnt it puppy? However, those of us who have applied have quite a bit more at stake here. I take it that it is mere superstition or lack of strength that drives us to constantly remind ourselves ( & everyone else) that we will not get in. However, that really doesnt mean much. All of us who say so are hoping like hell that we do get in and we know that we have a chance to get in. We just do not blatantly say it for fear of (1.) jinxing the whole letter (2.) seeming like an obnoxious arse. Without being so rigid as to call everyone who says so stupid, the more knowledgable thing for you to do would be to accept the fact that all of us are scared, as we have a lot at stake here; all of us know we do have a chance, but we just keep saying we dont just for the heck of it. Judging by your comments, I dont think you have applied to Cambridge this year. I say so because Im yet to find someone who is as confident about the whole thing and be strong enough not to fall in to the typical "Im not going to get in" path. As for the rest of us who take this path, LET US!! Because no matter what we say will change what is in the letter. By taking this path, we can just survive it better until the letter actually arrives.

ReputationRep:
    Josh??

'tis Li...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jd27)
    That's all well and good, but you have to have confidence in yourself. After my interviews, I wasn't so much worried about whether I'd get an offer or not, as whether it would be AAA or less. I didn't want to have to do too much work. I didn't ram this opinion down anyone's throat, but I felt it. Self-deprecating's fine up to a point, but if you're good enough to go to Cambridge then why tempt fate. Just be confident in yourself, or unconfident, whatever. No one will sympathise with your fear because you keep complaining that you probably didn't get in, they'll just think you probably won't get in, and so will care less when you don't.

And it's shortsighted to say there's that much at stake. Cambridge is awesome, I love it. I would have loved wherever I went, and would have been delighted with Edinburgh, my second choice. Some people hate it though, and your life won't be that much easier for going here. In fact, your university years will be that much tougher.
    I dont know about you, but Cambridge quite frankly is be all end all for me (if i got that proverb/idiom right). And for me, there is quite a lot at stake, which makes getting rejected all that more devastating. You talk about confidence, but if you really werent that greatly worried about whether you got an offer or not, it wasnt bcoz of confidence that you werent worried, but simply due to the fact that you didnt mind going somewhere else if you had got rejected from Cambridge - which is a story that is quite different to most of ours; especially international students like me. Cambridge has a reputation over here that no other in the UK can match and we pay upto 20 000 pounds a yearr to come there. Its quite pointless to go somewhere like Durham, with a lesser reputation (no offence intended), and pay the same amount. So you see, getting into Cambridge does mean a lot (academically and financially). The simple reason why we take that path is because we re so concerned about going to Cambridge and no place else.

Im sure you werent bothered when you were one week away from your letter coming, but I find it hard to believe that it was due to confidence; it was just the fact that you didnt want to go to Cambridge quite as much as some of us here do. That doesnt justify anyone places over you, however, it remains a fact.

ReputationRep:
    It's actually not a fact, it's your opinion. Last year, I convinced myself that I'd be rejected, however, I didn't shout it from the roof-tops. It was my way of coping, I thought that it'd make rejection easier than admitting to myself how much I wanted it, thus giving myself further to fall. It was a personal thing, and though I'd mention it if someone else mentioned the application, I wasn't screeching around message boards posting it. However, I do think this place breeds neuroticism when it comes to things like this, and that's one reason why a lot of people on here are going crazy about it.

ReputationRep:
    I follow Aristotle's philosophy: Sometimes, when someone's opinion is the downright truth, it is safe to call it fact.

--------------

And quite apparently, judging from the numbers who "screech around message boards posting their fears" (the huge amount of posts regarding the matter), it looks as if 'confident' applicants are very hard to come by this time round. But obviously, it wasnt the case last year with many holding on to their fears as is suggested.

ReputationRep:
    Manthi, you talk about reputation of UK uni's....if rep is what your after, why didn't u apply to LSE (probably the second most recognised UK uni after the oxbridge two).

PS Where r u from?

ReputationRep:
    Because I dont like LSE due to the fact that they blacklist certain A Level subjects: Like Law. Law is harder to get an A for than Chemistry for Pete's sake; but no!! The great LSE does not realise this. And Im from Sri Lanka, as the flag shows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manthi)
    Because I dont like LSE due to the fact that they blacklist certain A Level subjects: Like Law. Law is harder to get an A for than Chemistry for Pete's sake; but no!! The great LSE does not realise this. And Im from Sri Lanka, as the flag shows.
    Cambridge do that as well...

ReputationRep:
    No they dont...at least most colleges dont..I have quite a dodgy subject combination which include Law and Business Studies. So I mailed everywhere and asked for any such reservations, and most colleges said no - I dont think Cambridge has double standards. But just the nerve to blacklist certain subjects was enough to turn me away from LSE- after all, those subjects are not academically less demanding than others. And especially when candidates dont have the option of taking subjects like English Lit, History etc. I think it really discriminates against us. So boo to the LSE!!! And if you say that Business Studies is less demanding than, say, Chemistry, let me show you my UMS scores.

ReputationRep:
    How on earth can business studies be more demanding than chemistry? No offence, but isn't the way business is taught at school level a bit of a piss take? At least that's how it is at AH.

ReputationRep:
    LSE is great... no dissin.. im probs gonna end up there if cambridge say no...

only 6 days.... deep down i will be disappointed if i dont get into cambs
    but otherwise... lse or warwick if i get in will be sufficient.. to say the least

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can rate one subject more difficult than the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drsmeeth)
    I don't think you can rate one subject more difficult than the other.
    I agree completely.

ReputationRep:
    why thank you. have some precious shiny gem points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by friendlyneutron)
    How on earth can business studies be more demanding than chemistry? No offence, but isn't the way business is taught at school level a bit of a piss take? At least that's how it is at AH.
    Im assuming you re taking Business Studies as an A Level, else, you wouldnt qualify to make that statement. However, dont you think what we learn for chemistry 'a bit of a piss take'? Abstract things, which are purely theoretical and have minimal (if not any) relevance in practical day to day life? All Im saying is that no respectable institution should black list certain subjects; subjects that are less traditional albeit academic. A univerisity is supposed to respect academia. By blacklisting so many subjects, its disrespecting the whole idea of academia.

--------------

Sorry but wut in the world are shiny gem points???

ReputationRep:
    Rep. I'll give you some in a few hours when I can. I gave too much rep out to someone on another board who was a legend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drsmeeth)
    Rep. I'll give you some in a few hours when I can. I gave too much rep out to someone on another board who was a legend.
    Oh, there is such a thing?? Awesome. Please feel free to do so!

(Not desperate for shiny gems! :p: )

And its my birthday today! Its the 27th over here...so u know what my present should be!

ReputationRep:
    Your desperation will lead to a change in my mind young sir!

Poll
Do you have any savings?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.