?
Report 12 years ago
Oh gosh, wait, then lemme edit my post :p:
Gael
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Now everyone else will be confused. your selfishness is leading to my not wanting to give you precious shiny gem points at all.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY :birthday: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday:

It's my birthday on the 27th too. But of July. And of a different year....

o_0

I just wanted to feel special...
manthi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
hehe..thats alright dont you think? Many people are confused about a lot of things, so one more to the list wont be that much trouble now would it?

And comon its Christmas! Shouldnt everyone feel loved and special at this wonderful time of the year? :p:
Gael
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
These are troubling alcohol influenced nervous times young squire.
manthi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
True true...must try it out...I could do with a bit of Cambridge letter forgetting at the moment m'lord :P:
Gael
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ooh lord. I like that.

Hey if you're 16 how comes you're waiting for a letter. OH NO ARE YOU ONE OF THOSE LITTLE GENIUSES...

*hides*
manthi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
No No!!! Im not 'little' and Im definitely no genius! Im 17 today actually! Im one of those younger "child protection legislation' affected applicants..
Gael
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
17 today. then you're officially 5 months younger than me. exactly. have a wollypop.
manthi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
*curses the system*...hate being younger than everyone else! Thanks for the wollypop though!
Gael
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You have cursed the system. You have thus officially denounced your wollypop privaleges.
manthi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
awwwww....(wipes tears off eyes)...you re a supporter of the system? You shouldnt be. It is what people have been fighting against thruout history - Mahatma Gandhi, George Washington, Martin Luther King, Abraham Lincoln - theyve been fighting against the system! And so its okay to curse the system! Now can I have the wollypop?? :p:
supercat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You make a good case for the wollypop.
manthi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Better fight for the wollypop than money eh? :p: After all, I do plan to do Law.
Gael
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
if three americans and a pacifist are all you have against the system, then i find your reasoning WEAK!!!
puppy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by manthi)
I dont know about you, but Cambridge quite frankly is be all end all for me (if i got that proverb/idiom right). And for me, there is quite a lot at stake, which makes getting rejected all that more devastating. You talk about confidence, but if you really werent that greatly worried about whether you got an offer or not, it wasnt bcoz of confidence that you werent worried, but simply due to the fact that you didnt mind going somewhere else if you had got rejected from Cambridge - which is a story that is quite different to most of ours; especially international students like me. Cambridge has a reputation over here that no other in the UK can match and we pay upto 20 000 pounds a yearr to come there. Its quite pointless to go somewhere like Durham, with a lesser reputation (no offence intended), and pay the same amount. So you see, getting into Cambridge does mean a lot (academically and financially). The simple reason why we take that path is because we re so concerned about going to Cambridge and no place else.

Im sure you werent bothered when you were one week away from your letter coming, but I find it hard to believe that it was due to confidence; it was just the fact that you didnt want to go to Cambridge quite as much as some of us here do. That doesnt justify anyone places over you, however, it remains a fact.
Why do you find it so hard to believe that some people have confidence in themselves? I didn't want to go anywhere else but Cambridge but I was fairly confident that i'd get in. I'd never been rejected from anything before in my life, I'm fairly articulate and had good A-level results and recommendations, why the hell shouldn't I get in to Cambridge? Obviously it's easy for me to say this now but I can honestly say that I was fairly sure that i'd get an offer and make it.

I don't see why people think Cambridge is such a big deal- you're not much more likely to get a good job after an Oxbridge education than you are after attending any of the other top 10 unis in Britain. Oxbridge does not guarantee you success, happiness, or even a great education (lord knows the Classics course is nothing to rave about)- you'd be far better going somewhere you'll fit in and enjoy than slaving away in Cambridge for very little gain. It will not make you a better a person if you get in and will not ruin your life if you don't. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to think rather seriously about their priorities and values.

No one's saying you shouldn't be able to express your opinions about this, I know it's a stressful time for some people, but some of you are going to ridiculous lengths to illicit sympathetic words and compliments from the rest of us with the constant self deprecation. Most of us are telling you to chill for the benefit of your sanity, not because we think we're better than you. Working yourself up if not going to change the outcome of your letter- they've already decided, it's too late!
Bumblebee3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by puppy)
Why do you find it so hard to believe that some people have confidence in themselves? I didn't want to go anywhere else but Cambridge but I was fairly confident that i'd get in. I'd never been rejected from anything before in my life, I'm fairly articulate and had good A-level results and recommendations, why the hell shouldn't I get in to Cambridge? Obviously it's easy for me to say this now but I can honestly say that I was fairly sure that i'd get an offer and make it.

I don't see why people think Cambridge is such a big deal- you're not much more likely to get a good job after an Oxbridge education than you are after attending any of the other top 10 unis in Britain. Oxbridge does not guarantee you success, happiness, or even a great education (lord knows the Classics course is nothing to rave about)- you'd be far better going somewhere you'll fit in and enjoy than slaving away in Cambridge for very little gain. It will not make you a better a person if you get in and will not ruin your life if you don't. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to think rather seriously about their priorities and values.

No one's saying you shouldn't be able to express your opinions about this, I know it's a stressful time for some people, but some of you are going to ridiculous lengths to illicit sympathetic words and compliments from the rest of us with the constant self deprecation. Most of us are telling you to chill for the benefit of your sanity, not because we think we're better than you. Working yourself up if not going to change the outcome of your letter- they've already decided, it's too late!
I agree - those of you who are accepted will quickly realise that very few people here think of it as the be all and end all. Everyone is too busy running around with work/societies/various other enterprises to really think about it. The same is true in the employment sector, if you throw your heart and soul into a project, whether you were at Cam or Durham won't matter a huge amount.

When I went to a party for freshers, a crusty old academic said to us 'now you know you're special' and everyone there knew he was a pathetic old ponce. Almost everyone from students to fellows have a very down to earth attitude.
friendlyneutron
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by manthi)
Im assuming you re taking Business Studies as an A Level, else, you wouldnt qualify to make that statement. However, dont you think what we learn for chemistry 'a bit of a piss take'? Abstract things, which are purely theoretical and have minimal (if not any) relevance in practical day to day life? All Im saying is that no respectable institution should black list certain subjects; subjects that are less traditional albeit academic. A univerisity is supposed to respect academia. By blacklisting so many subjects, its disrespecting the whole idea of academia.

--------------

Sorry but wut in the world are shiny gem points???
I was talking about Advanced Highers - "at least that's how it is at AH"; I have friends who take both Chemistry and Business Studies at AH and they have expressed nothing but contempt for business studies as a subject at school, and most of these people will be studying business at uni! I would also think it a little naive to say that chemistry has no relevance to "practical day to day life" I actually never mentioned anything about blacklisting, just disagreeing with your claim that business studies was as hard as chemistry. I think it's unfair, as you do, to "blacklist" subjects, but equally I think that some subjects warrant more respect than others; i.e. I should think Physics to be more taxing than PE!
cappucino07
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by drsmeeth)
if three americans and a pacifist are all you have against the system, then i find your reasoning WEAK!!!
What is wrong with Americans?
Gael
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I dont know, how long have you got?
cappucino07
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by drsmeeth)
I dont know, how long have you got?
Depressingly....all day.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.95%
No (513)
72.05%

Watched Threads