The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

heninacoop
The only subject that doesn't like gap years is maths apparently. As long as you do something worthwile with your time, I don't think they care otherwise.

would they count getting a job, saving up to go travelling and then going travelling as worthwhile? i'm not planning on doing any charity work! i just want to see the world, really. what do you think?
Reply 161
I was turned down for a place at Churchill College to read Computer Science today.

I am disappointed, but I did receive an offer for my other main choice, a 5-year sandwich course at York. The course rewards MEng rather than BA, and the Guardian places it above Cambridge in the CS table. Knowing this eases the pain a little! :smile:

I do kind of feel a bit foolish for applying in the first place, but at least because I did I won't go through university wondering "what if?". At the end of the day it was good experience... just wish I could have another stab, hehe! :smile:
Reply 162
Got rejected from Newnham today to read Law. I had travelled from northern Germany and stayed in Cambridge for two days at the beginning of December. It is so disappointing as I had tried to prepare for it so much (knowing that one can´t really prepare but I´d still spent most of my spare time reading Law books). I even thought I had done quite well at the interviews (though I know I got a bit confused during the first one - spent most of December thinking about the mistakes I made).
However, I don´t know my LNAT score, so maybe I just didn´t do well enough there. I wish I´d find out what was most decisive, whether it was the LNAT or the interviews or my statement... might have been my English. I grew up in Germany, but my mother´s from Britain and we speak English at home. Obviously I´m not as good as a native speaker but I´d even tried to learn as many legal terms as I could.
Just don´t know how to cope with it. I´ve never experienced anything like this, I´ve always been successful at school (as all Cambridge applicants I suppose).
School starts again tomorrow here and I know everybody will be asking me if I´ve heard anything from Cambridge - they just don´t know what it´s about. They all expect me to have got in. I mean, 80 % get rejected, I don´t necessarily have to have been bad at the interviews, do I?
Glad I found this chatroom, just couldn´t stop crying. I had felt so close to Cambridge...
Reply 163
Anika
Got rejected from Newnham today to read Law. I had travelled from northern Germany and stayed in Cambridge for two days at the beginning of December. It is so disappointing as I had tried to prepare for it so much (knowing that one can´t really prepare but I´d still spent most of my spare time reading Law books). I even thought I had done quite well at the interviews (though I know I got a bit confused during the first one - spent most of December thinking about the mistakes I made).
However, I don´t know my LNAT score, so maybe I just didn´t do well enough there. I wish I´d find out what was most decisive, whether it was the LNAT or the interviews or my statement... might have been my English. I grew up in Germany, but my mother´s from Britain and we speak English at home. Obviously I´m not as good as a native speaker but I´d even tried to learn as many legal terms as I could.
Just don´t know how to cope with it. I´ve never experienced anything like this, I´ve always been successful at school (as all Cambridge applicants I suppose).
School starts again tomorrow here and I know everybody will be asking me if I´ve heard anything from Cambridge - they just don´t know what it´s about. They all expect me to have got in. I mean, 80 % get rejected, I don´t necessarily have to have been bad at the interviews, do I?
Glad I found this chatroom, just couldn´t stop crying. I had felt so close to Cambridge...

Hi Anika,

I don't know what college you applied to but i applied to clare and i didn't get in to read natsciences bio. On my letter it says that my school will get a summary of what went wrong in the selection process and i can only imagine it is the same at other colleges. i would advise that if you do want to know where you went wrong you either go into school and ask your referee or you e-mail the admissions office of your college and politely ask for a summary of what you did wrong. I really hope you feel better soon. It can feel so bad at times but you need to remember that not getting in doesn't make you any less brilliant than you are. you're still as clever as you always were and perhpaps even more so for trying.. better than those that were too scared to.

try and smile about it. you never know what the future holds. Good luck
Reply 164
The Admissions Statistics said that (for law applicants) one out of four get in at Newnham whereas the university ratio for law is 1:8. I was just trying to get in!
Anika
... I had felt so close to Cambridge...

I did really feel that... :frown: :hugs:
everyone around me believes that i would get in...my tutors, my teacher, my mum, my friends...i did try to think that its less than 1 to 4 especially Trinity but I kept thinking about what i would do when i got in...i even thought how would i decorate my room ... i was thinking about it everyday, every lesson, everytime i can...yesterday when i found out i got rejected...i was like...i couldnt think anything...i skipped 2 lessons...sitting in the library...thought nothing...last nite it was a bit better...but today is worse...i was crying though i rarely cry even when my mum and dad relationship is horrible... its like a dream gone away... Land economy in Camb is the only course in the world.... and I applied for totally different courses in other 4 unis:human resources management. to me its not about the uni, its also about the only course that i want to do...other similar ones just dont interest me...
dont hate me if im making you feeling worse by telling another sad story... i should say some nice things...but i really want to share something...and let you know we all love Camb so much, but life is not fair most of the time... especially competitive course like Law...

have you firmly decided to take a gap year?
im wondering if we can reapply as a first year uni student?
Reply 166
Oh, sorry, Honza, I really misunderstood you. It was just that after applying to Newnham I heard so many negative things about it, I was quite unsure whether I´d made the right decision. However, when I was there I really fell in love with it, the buildings are beautiful and everybody was so friendly.
I don´t really believe that the colleges differ that much, there are just so many rumours about them.
Thanks to all of you (river zim, Honza, valerious) for your replies. I feel better already, although I know I will be thinking about Cambridge for quite a while to come.
It´s nice to hear about people who feel the same as I do right now. My parents thought I was exaggerating, but I guess they didn´t really understand what it meant to me. I waited for the postman every day and was so excited when the letter arrived today..
Anyway, I´ve applied to five other universities and I´ve received one offer so far (from Exeter). The other universities (UCL, KCL, Durham, Warwick) said I would have to wait a little longer (one of them (can´t remember which one) said they´d send me their decision as late as June! -is that normal?)
Well, thanks again, it´s nice to hear you replies.
notsoperfect

I may reapply next year, but I'm not sure. Does anybody know much about reapplying? For example, which colleges like students who have had gap years? And would these colleges be put off me because I was rejected?

Basically - check with each specific college obviously, but the main outlook on gap years (I applied for deferred entry) is IF your gap year correlates to your applied subject e.g. a work placement/research that's a bonus. Having said that, if there is no direct correlation that's not a disadavantage.
What your gap year must be though is STRUCTURED, i.e. you can go travelling if you wish but there must be a coherent layout and aim - in other words, you can't bum around for a year - thats a definate no-no.
Reply 168
have you firmly decided to take a gap year?
im wondering if we can reapply as a first year uni student?

I don´t know if I´ll reapply. It would be terrible to be rejected a second time. The first time you can always say it´s bad luck but the second time you might be thinking it´s you and not the admissions process...
I´ll just see which of the universities I decide to study at and I´ll hopefully like it that much I won´t even consider reapplying. For me it´s easier, because I can study law almost everywhere (Exeter even offers English and German Law, which is probably the best option for me, as I´ve always wanted to go to Britain and wanted to study Law, yet I would still like to have the possibility to go back to Germany).
Hopefully, you will get happy with your other offers. I would like to say something encouraging here, but I just know what it feels like to have such a huge gap, which -until a day ago- was filled with dreams about studying at Cambridge.

When I was in Cambridge in December (the first time in my life) I decided to visit Cambridge again in the summer (whatever their decision) because I liked it so much - I´m not to sure about that anymore, I´d probably get terribly upset.
Anika

I don´t know if I´ll reapply. It would be terrible to be rejected a second time. The first time you can always say it´s bad luck but the second time you might be thinking it´s you and not the admissions process...
I´ll just see which of the universities I decide to study at and I´ll hopefully like it that much I won´t even consider reapplying. For me it´s easier, because I can study law almost everywhere (Exeter even offers English and German Law, which is probably the best option for me, as I´ve always wanted to go to Britain and wanted to study Law, yet I would still like to have the possibility to go back to Germany).

Anika - just a suggestion - why don't you contact Newnham/your referee and see the interviewer's assessment - that way you might be able to find out the reason for your rejection and maybe improve on that area if you decide to reapply.
Anika

Hello Anika, I met you when you came to Newnham for interview (I was a sheepdog) I just want to say I'm very sorry. If I were you I'd email the admissions office and ask for your feedback (it is standard practice to give it on request) and this will give you a much clearer idea of what went wrong.

To Anika (and all on here) people who apply to cam have usually always been 'the best' and have no experience of rejection which is what makes it so difficult. Remember that this is different to anything else you have tried - you are not only up against people all over the world who are at least as good as you but there is a real element of chance too - did you get the questions you wanted, were your nerves under control or not etc... Visiting the place makes it even harder, because a lot of people only visit cam and not their other options, and this makes it seem more real. You will feel a lot better once you know where you are going to end up and get settled, I promise. Love to all, H xx
Reply 171
Hello,
thank you very much for you replies. It´s so encouraging to hear you opinions. I´m very interested to hear what the interviewers and admissions tutors thought about my performance at the interviews. It will be valuable information and I´d at least know what to do better at another interview (even if it´s not Cambridge).
-I´ve sent you a private message, Bumblebee!
Thank You
Reply 172
i got rejected by sidney (economics)... just today.
Reply 173
I was rejected by Newnham for Phys NatSci, just coming to terms with it. I did the TSA for them and found out I got an average mark, so obviously not completely crap! Oh well.
Told you id be rejected. Just came in the post
rejected for economics at clare.
i don't care now...
well...i do.
alexandra010588
Told you id be rejected. Just came in the post

Am very sorry to hear that Alexandra :hugs: Perhaps you should email the admissions office and get your feedback. It will give you a better idea of what went wrong, and it could be that it just came down to nerves in the end. PM me of course if you need to.

H xxx
Reply 177
i just wanted to say to everyone who unfortunately finds themselves here not to give up. I was rejected by LMH, Oxford last year without interview, and feeling thoroughly annoyed with the situation, reapplied to Cambridge and am now off to St Catharines! So always look on the bright side ... if you chose to reapply you will have a years extra reading, you will feel so supremely confident and you will almost definately have AAA and be a much stronger candidate, as you will actually have the grades you need for uni!
Just six hours left in the pooling process. I hope you all get one or more marks of O or I on your form by 5pm tonight. Then the colleges have to fight over you. :smile: People will start to hear once all the files have been checked tomorrow (6th).
Reply 179
Anika

Hey, i'm exactly the same! I was kind of pressured into applying and then fell in love with the place (Newnham) when i went for interview, but i was obviously not good enough. I fluffed a bit in the first interview, but thought overall it had gone ok. My friend just got into Newnham for Geog, so that makes it a bit harder too. Chin up! :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending