Turn on thread page Beta

Have Become a little Chubby watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I think the reason clubbing might work well is because you're out and about rather than sitting at home eating, also walking to and from town, between bars and clubs, constantly standing up, AND the dancing might have more to do with it than just standing about waving your arms :p:

ReputationRep:
    On the good ship, lolly-pop!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to say but dancing, no matter how bad an exercise it is, is still exercise, which means you will be burning more calories than if you were sitting down, which again means you WILL loose weight if you do it reguarly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan)
    Sorry to say but dancing, no matter how bad an exercise it is, is still exercise, which means you will be burning more calories than if you were sitting down, which again means you WILL loose weight if you do it reguarly.
    not necessarily. infact very, very, very unlikely. like ive said, walking does more good.

ReputationRep:
    omfg im gona be getting chubby soon

ive eaten so much i feel like i could actually *explode*.

im not used to eating meals as big as this *goes to lie down*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lessthanthree)
    we've already established I.E. by DOING IT that you're actually wrong.

hey-ho ^_^

--------------

I've had a little poke around for some written evidence too, and have managed:

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/diet.fitne...workout.times/

20 minutes = 132 cals burned disco dancing.

thats generalising too much. nobody can say its gonna burn exactly 132 calories for dancing for 20 mins, it would be very different in every case. but if your gonna be like that then a fast paced walk would probably burn off about 140 calories in the same amount of time minus the masses of calories taken in from alcohol etc from doing it.

ReputationRep:
    ooooh but still my general idea is that fast pace walking is better exercise for losing weight than dancing in a club, which is true. even if your dancing burns off exactly 132.246435 calories per 20 minutes its still not as good as fast walking would be in that amount of time. lets not argue - its christmas!

ReputationRep:
    Look, calories burned depends on heart-rate, do you know what your hear-rate is whilst dancing? If its high enough to be burning a significant amount of calories then you would be out of breath, and sweating. Something I really hope you're not doing on the middle of a dancefloor!

ReputationRep:
    exxxxactly

ReputationRep:
    Losing one stone in just one term.... that can't be healthy can it? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, shes lost weight too fast, now shes going to fall asleep and never wake up!!

Why isn't it healthy exactly??

If I'm right a term is 10-12 weeks, depending on which Uni you go to, which means just over 1lb a week weight loss, hardly earth shattering amounts.

ReputationRep:
    yeah its perfectly healthy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bis432)
    we aint talking about doing the tango here. in a club people that dance hardly move. it has minimal effects. going for a walk would do you more good.
    You evidently haven't seen me dance - my friends and i go to cheesy clubs, and dance insanely and very energetically from 11-2/3. We have to get water because we get hot and my heart rate is usually kept high for most of it from our crazy "cool" moves...and in those clubs it's rarely REALLY packed. so i beg to differ, it's definitely good aerobic exercise!

ReputationRep:
    bis432 - I have become increasingly frustrated in reading your posts.

There are 2 types of clubbing:

'Clubbing' where you go to a er.. club, listen to some music maybe dance about a bit with a few friends. Nothing to make you look stupid or over exert yourself.

Then there is actual clubbing, where you go out, dance like mad to the point where you're actually out of breath with your back sticky from sweat (attractive I know ), do this for about 4 hours so that you're ready to collapse in bed when you get home.

And I'm not exactly an unfit person for dancing to get me that out of breath - im a cross country runner.

Clubbing CAN make you lose weight. (provided you dont drink)

--------------

(Original post by imasillynarb)
    Look, calories burned depends on heart-rate, do you know what your hear-rate is whilst dancing? If its high enough to be burning a significant amount of calories then you would be out of breath, and sweating. Something I really hope you're not doing on the middle of a dancefloor!
    Yup thats me. I'm not ashamed to admit it.

EDIT: Although this is generally more acceptable in dance/trance/house music clubs.

ReputationRep:
    try not to get too upset over this little debate.

yes, i understand some people dance like nut cases and get sweaty and out of breath, but like i have said there is alot more to burning calories and losing weight than being out of breath. do you think if i sit here and breathe really heavily and fast fats gonna drop off me? or if i go sit next to a fire and get all sweaty im gonna lose fat? alot of getting hot and sweaty from dancing like that is the humidity from all the people crammed in the room.

Clubbing CAN make you lose weight. (provided you dont drink)
    well the vast majority of people who go clubbing drink i believe. infact people who dont drink when clubbing seem to get criticised and penalised by everyone else for doing so (i know from my own experience)

look, im not knocking clubbing here, im just saying its not a good form of cardiovascular exercise for losing weight.

ReputationRep:
    you can still lose weight by clubbing if you drink, it depends *what* you drink. drinking crappy alcopops like Reef etc will make you gain weight, but proper drinks like vodka/diet coke [the least calorific bev I am told] or G+T then you should be ok!

ReputationRep:
    I think it will be more a combination of you diet at uni along with the dancing, which helps you lose the weight, i cant honestly see how dancing alone, how matter how crazy you get can seriously affect your weight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    you can still lose weight by clubbing if you drink, it depends *what* you drink. drinking crappy alcopops like Reef etc will make you gain weight, but proper drinks like vodka/diet coke [the least calorific bev I am told] or G+T then you should be ok!
    Yeah vodka has hardly any calories. Same with diet coke. Love it :p: (actually not that much.. only if I want to get a little bit drunk)

ReputationRep:
    see? this guy gets it. (almost)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    I think it will be more a combination of you diet at uni along with the dancing, which helps you lose the weight, i cant honestly see how dancing alone, how matter how crazy you get can seriously affect your weight
    Well if you do it 2 or 3 nights a week and you're working up a proper sweat (through actually dancing not just because it might be packed) then it can easily affect your weight.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.