Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah2)
    Resorting to personal insults just degrades your entire argument.

I agree with this bis guy, clubs you are there from what 11.30-2.30, three hours max, of which probably two will be spent dancing, 750 calories as a top estimate. Energetic dancing will be short burst of 3/6 minutes for when they actually play decent songs, the rest of the time will be much more chilled.

By 2 your legs generally ache from being on your feet all day, unless you are wasted/pilled there is no way you can keep 'energetic' dancing for a very long time, believe me few people could top the 'energy' of my housemate's dancing, there are high kicks and everything, but even he will only do that in bursts.

-sucker for the underdog- :cool:
    yeah thanks. and it would very doubtfully be 750 calories, more like 350 tops which is what? a couple of drinks? its nice to see a few people agree with me and know whats right.

(Original post by rah2)
    Resorting to personal insults just degrades your entire argument.

I agree with this bis guy, clubs you are there from what 11.30-2.30, three hours max, of which probably two will be spent dancing, 750 calories as a top estimate. Energetic dancing will be short burst of 3/6 minutes for when they actually play decent songs, the rest of the time will be much more chilled.

By 2 your legs generally ache from being on your feet all day, unless you are wasted/pilled there is no way you can keep 'energetic' dancing for a very long time, believe me few people could top the 'energy' of my housemate's dancing, there are high kicks and everything, but even he will only do that in bursts.

-sucker for the underdog- :cool:
    You haven't seen me at a gig of a band I really like when I like all the songs :cool:

Or a club when I really like everything the DJ plays and you just dance to it all - the brain ignores the pain because the music gives such pleasure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    You must have no guts and hang around with losers. Only a loser would try and force someone else to drink vast quantities of alcohol against their will, and only someone with no guts would let someone else push them around like that.
    personal insults? any need for that?

Do you ever stop arguing? You've failed to address my point, which was that a night out is more strenuous and burns substantially more calories than a night in. Ok, if you drink a lot of alcohol and eat greasy food afterwards, you'll also up your calorie intake, but this is strictly optional.
    i have addressed your point. the crappy few calories you burn off from doing the dancing you will get multiplied back inside you from the alcohol and possibly fast food afterwards. sure, if your gonna go clubbing and drink shots of h2o, wear a gas mask to protect yourself from the smoke, dance like a nut case keeping your heart rate up and moving around alot for hours and then come home at 2am and cook a normal healthy meal instead of a greasy kebab then it could help you lose weight. otherwise, no. the walking around at home will do more good.

ReputationRep:
    why do u keep on about alcohol? not everyone drinks in clubs. I know i dont need alcohol to have a good time....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleece)
    why do u keep on about alcohol? not everyone drinks in clubs. I know i dont need alcohol to have a good time....
    Why did I just know someone would resort to that old line......
    Drinking goes with clubs. You have more fun drinking than not.

(Original post by NeverMindThat)
    Why did I just know someone would resort to that old line......
    Drinking goes with clubs. You have more fun drinking than not.
    Depends on the music :cool: and the company.

ReputationRep:
    I've had some of my most amazing nights out without having drunk anything.. its really not necessary to have a good time. Although I am a bit of a control freak when it comes to my dancing... dont want alcohol getting in the way - if im going to dance im going to do it properly :p:

ReputationRep:
    I need to drink a lot of alcohol to get drunk, so I pretty much can't afford to get drunk in clubs. Plus I go out during the week and so don't really want to have a raging hangover the next day. So, drinking tap water in the club, dancing for three hours and then going home without having a greasy burger is actually going to be pretty beneficial. And as someone else said, dancefloors don't tend to be smoky. No one wants cigarette burns. :rolleyes:

And stop accusing me of using personal insults. What would you think of someone who tried to force someone else to drink alcohol against their will? Exactly. What would you think of someone too weak to tell them to get lost? Exactly.

It's all about choices. Dance is exercise, end of. The fact that you *may* drink lots of alcohol and have greasy food afterwards is completely irrelevant. That's a choice, not a prerequisite.

ReputationRep:
    Im lost are we trying to decide if dancing is a form of exercise???
    If so Yes of course dancing is a form of exercise

ReputationRep:
    And stop accusing me of using personal insults. What would you think of someone who tried to force someone else to drink alcohol against their will? Exactly. What would you think of someone too weak to tell them to get lost? Exactly.

It's all about choices. Dance is exercise, end of. The fact that you *may* drink lots of alcohol and have greasy food afterwards is completely irrelevant. That's a choice, not a prerequisite.
    firstly i never said that i get forced to drink or anything like that in clubs. the first time i went with a few friends they were like "come on have a drink, everybody else is", but after i said no a few times it sinks in but lets face it not many people ask for orange juice in clubs. i havent had alcohol in about 2 or 3 years i think. im not quite sure how that makes me have "no guts", "loser friends" and "too weak".

yes dance is exercise, but so is walking to the toilet. the thing im trying to point out is that it isnt effective cardiovascular exercise for losing weight. plus the other things that usually come with clubbing like alcohol, fast food etc make this matter worse in losing weight, it usually has the opposite effect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bis432)
    firstly i never said that i get forced to drink or anything like that in clubs. the first time i went with a few friends they were like "come on have a drink, everybody else is", but after i said no a few times it sinks in but lets face it not many people ask for orange juice in clubs. i havent had alcohol in about 2 or 3 years i think. im not quite sure how that makes me have "no guts", "loser friends" and "too weak".

yes dance is exercise, but so is walking to the toilet. the thing im trying to point out is that it isnt effective cardiovascular exercise for losing weight. plus the other things that usually come with clubbing like alcohol, fast food etc make this matter worse in losing weight, it usually has the opposite effect.
    As I said, the food and alcohol are strictly optional, and I quite often dance myself dizzy. Any physical activity is good for you. Dance also helps you stretch and tone, and loosens your muscles.

PS - "Come on, have a drink, everyone else is!"

You know, you are allowed to say, "No thanks!"

ReputationRep:
    As I said, the food and alcohol are strictly optional, and I quite often dance myself dizzy. Any physical activity is good for you. Dance also helps you stretch and tone, and loosens your muscles.
    dont use that word! dancing doesnt help you 'tone'. infact what do you think 'tone' is and how its achieved? dancing would be ok for a bit of stretching i guess, but its not like its impossible to stretch at home is it?

PS - "Come on, have a drink, everyone else is!"

You know, you are allowed to say, "No thanks!"
    but after i said no
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    shut up now, both of you.

ReputationRep:
    dont use that word! dancing doesnt help you 'tone'. infact what do you think 'tone' is and how its achieved? dancing would be ok for a bit of stretching i guess, but its not like its impossible to stretch at home is it?
    :confused:
    Of course you can stretch at home, but like you're actually going to. If you're going to say that, you could argue that instead of going clubbing, you could go for a 10 mile run. Of course you could, but that's besides the point. Just because other things burn more calories does not mean dancing is any less good for you.

Do you have a real argument, or are you just saying stuff to make sure you get the last word?

Dancing. Is. Exercise.

End of story.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a real argument, or are you just saying stuff to make sure you get the last word?
    Isn't that what you're doing?

ReputationRep:
    ok end of story, sounds good. i do have an argument as usual, but if i keep posting everyones gonna go crazy so il stop. dancing is exercise, just not as good as some other thing. NO MORE DISCUSSION

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Isn't that what you're doing?
    Not really, because the bottom line is that dancing is exercise. How strenuous it is and how many calories are burned obviously depends on who is doing it. But you cannot deny that it is exercise. Which is the very crux of this argument.

He's the one who won't stop talking about being pressurised to drink loads of alcohol and eat greasy burgers on the way home. That's irrelevant. He's clutching at straws.

ReputationRep:
    Righto...
    This is not healthy but then again neither is stressing about weight unless you actually are a fat heffer. But drinking water to replace hunger will work wonders...although you will bloat. Poeple often mistake hunger with thirst anyay so instead on munching have a drink
    There is no point in me listing the things i do because everyone is different. But basic things help ie walking. Try to get the recomended one hour a day exercise(that doesnt have to be insane gyming it large just raise your heart rate.)

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as PSA has got right back on topic, I will too.

Walking.

LittleGirlRed, you should really ask for a transfer to Stoke Bishop.

ReputationRep:
    I saved the day. Result!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2005
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.