Have Become a little Chubby Watch

Beelzebub
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Does anyone else find sport at uni really expensive? The one sports club I wanted to join would've cost me £20 up front plus like £2.50 for every session. Glad I didn't fork out now since I don't really have time, but the only exercise-ish club I could join for cheap was dance soc, which seems a bit lame really (although I am on the side of the dancing = exercise clan, although since I'm also of the alcohol and greasy food school of clubbing it doesn't really do a lot for my figure, just means I get to add aching muscles to my hangovers). I know it's to do with insurance and that, but is it so expensive to join athletic societies at all unis?
PublicSchoolAnn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Beelzebub)
Does anyone else find sport at uni really expensive? The one sports club I wanted to join would've cost me £20 up front plus like £2.50 for every session. Glad I didn't fork out now since I don't really have time, but the only exercise-ish club I could join for cheap was dance soc, which seems a bit lame really (although I am on the side of the dancing = exercise clan, although since I'm also of the alcohol and greasy food school of clubbing it doesn't really do a lot for my figure, just means I get to add aching muscles to my hangovers). I know it's to do with insurance and that, but is it so expensive to join athletic societies at all unis?
im £ 80 a year for hockey. £120 for lacrosse and the gym was £72 a year but i have to pay extra for squash/badders/ tennis courts. But I do get the value out of that lot.
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Beelzebub, if you join now you wont have to join the AU or pay the upfront free, trust me, I've done it twice now :p:

Though it means in the event of an accident you'll probably be screwed.

What clubs were you thinking of joining?
PublicSchoolAnn
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
but the hockey was high becuase all the club have to finance the indoor team which is £200 to enter a ten player squad into an indoor league competitioin.

--------------

3 indoor squads entered so ching ching
Beelzebub
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
Beelzebub, if you join now you wont have to join the AU or pay the upfront free, trust me, I've done it twice now :p:

Though it means in the event of an accident you'll probably be screwed.

What clubs were you thinking of joining?
really? Wicked! I really wanted to join the pole "exercise" club (if they'll have me after I committed the cardinal sin of calling it pole dancing at freshers' fair), cos it's supposed to be amazing for keeping you toned up. I'd quite like to do lacrosse as well.

im £ 80 a year for hockey. £120 for lacrosse and the gym was £72 a year but i have to pay extra for squash/badders/ tennis courts. But I do get the value out of that lot.
Wow, I guess it's not much compared to that, I just thought when I got to uni I'd get to try all the sports and stuff that I can't do at home, but didn't really like the idea of paying up front for clubs I wasn't sure I'd have time to go to (newspaper was always gonna be my priority).
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Beelzebub)
really? Wicked! I really wanted to join the pole "exercise" club (if they'll have me after I committed the cardinal sin of calling it pole dancing at freshers' fair), cos it's supposed to be amazing for keeping you toned up. I'd quite like to do lacrosse as well.

lol, I've got loads of mates from pole exercise, and its only really the 2 that run it that get anal about calling it pole dancing, the funny thing is that both the two people who run it and one of my mates who goes(who is the social sec I believe?) do actually do pole dancing in harrogate...and another one of my mates who goes is gonna start doing it in Nottingham soon too Bloody hypocrites!
NeverMindThat
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by susiemakemeblue)
Not really, because the bottom line is that dancing is exercise. How strenuous it is and how many calories are burned obviously depends on who is doing it. But you cannot deny that it is exercise. Which is the very crux of this argument.

He's the one who won't stop talking about being pressurised to drink loads of alcohol and eat greasy burgers on the way home. That's irrelevant. He's clutching at straws.

I bet you are a WHOLE lot of fun in real life. No really.... :rolleyes:
Apricot Fairy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by NeverMindThat)
I bet you are a WHOLE lot of fun in real life. No really.... :rolleyes:
Could you not come up with anything better than that? Really? :rolleyes:
Crimson Black
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Lose weight fast: grab yourself a skipping rope, and skip. It works. Trust me.
nikk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
exercise, exercise exercise exercise exercise exercise....*sigh* exercise exercise!

This is the ONLY way to effectively loose weight.
Mata
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by nikk)
exercise, exercise exercise exercise exercise exercise....*sigh* exercise exercise!

This is the ONLY way to effectively loose weight.
I agree. Less food more exercise.

Or, for slower results: same food more exercise.

Back when I was doing tons of athletics training, I could eat a whole pizza and then just burn it off. No longer. *sigh*

So if you want to lose weight, exercise and do it hard.
latentcorpse
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i swim competitively and trained around 9 times a week from 6 - 14 and three times a week from 15-17 (for exam revision) and i have really broad shoulders and muscles - also if you are sprinting for like an hour at a time with a ***** of a coach who doesn't let you stop unless you are physically sick then you really burn off fat - it is also character building cause it hurts a lot but you know its good for you and its rewarding when you win so you need to force yourself to stick at it - now i am oldest in club and help with coaching - sure ive put on more weight and have a little fat at stomach but i am mostly muscle - i weigh 14 stone but i am really tall like six and a half feet so i am actually really skinny
Bis
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by latentcorpse)
sprinting for like an hour at a time
an hour of sprinting at a time?
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by latentcorpse)
i swim competitively and trained around 9 times a week from 6 - 14 and three times a week from 15-17 (for exam revision) and i have really broad shoulders and muscles - also if you are sprinting for like an hour at a time with a ***** of a coach who doesn't let you stop unless you are physically sick then you really burn off fat - it is also character building cause it hurts a lot but you know its good for you and its rewarding when you win so you need to force yourself to stick at it - now i am oldest in club and help with coaching - sure ive put on more weight and have a little fat at stomach but i am mostly muscle - i weigh 14 stone but i am really tall like six and a half feet so i am actually really skinny
Pfft, I'm 14 stone and 6ft 2 and I'm a fat bugger, don't tell porkies !!!
mangomaz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
Pfft, I'm 14 stone and 6ft 2 and I'm a fat bugger, don't tell porkies !!!
Really? Oh I always imagined you as kind of skinny..
President_Ben
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by mangomaz)
Really? Oh I always imagined you as kind of skinny..
A potentially great thread that 'How do you think the poster above looks'
mangomaz
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yo-Less thought I looked like a big fat naked woman standing next to a mango tree
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (170)
27.16%
No (456)
72.84%

Watched Threads