This discussion is closed.
emmz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
i no u lot wont think its a big deal but my hamster is 2 years old and has diarrehea. shes lost weight and gone really weak and im taking her to the vets 2night but im worried they might simply say its a waste of time coz shes old anyway. i know it sounds stupid coz its just an hamster but i dont know how id cope if it died :rolleyes:

its still eating though and acting normal so i think theres hope
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I hate to tell you but my sister had a hamster with the exact same symtoms. The vet put it down.
Julia O.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
I hate to tell you but my sister had a hamster with the exact same symtoms. The vet put it down.
*tear* how sad
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Try not to worry about it until you get to the vet's tonight. Then have a proper discussion with the vet about what ought to be done.

Don't forget, if your hamster's really ill and in pain then it would be selfish to keep it alive just to keep you happy. I know it's sad, but everything dies sometime.

On the other hand, the vet might say that it's just a minor infection and give you something antibacterial to put in its food. Your hamster might be as good as new in a few days' time.

Hope it goes well tonight
xx
serendipity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
i no u lot wont think its a big deal but my hamster is 2 years old and has diarrehea. shes lost weight and gone really weak and im taking her to the vets 2night but im worried they might simply say its a waste of time coz shes old anyway. i know it sounds stupid coz its just an hamster but i dont know how id cope if it died :rolleyes:

There might be hope, but when my hamster was two he went blind and had to be put down Happens to the best of them. I think two is pretty old for a hamster. Hope she's ok
emmz
Rep:
?
wot sort of condition was the hamster in though. i mean could it walk or really weak. im thinkin maybe it wud be better for the hamster. :confused:
emmz
Rep:
?
(Original post by puke)
just drop it in canal and do us a fav it only a hamster
hey its been my friend 4 the past 2 years lol. i know ive a sad life
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
wot sort of condition was the hamster in though. i mean could it walk or really weak. im thinkin maybe it wud be better for the hamster. :confused:
I cant really remember it was that long a go. One thing I can remeber though is the fact that it smelled BADLY and my sister had to clean it out everyday I think.
emmz
Rep:
?
(Original post by puke)
you can say that again its only a hamster
(why dont you have for tea tonight insread of wasteing the vets time)
you could a ham sandwhich
if it was some1' elses hamster i wouldnt really think a big deal of it but ive been used to it for 2 years.
Weirdo
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
My sister had a hamster... she left it alone for 2 days coz it hadn't been out of its house thing that much, and when I finally went to check on it, I saw that its eyes had popped out! :confused:

We took it to the vets, and they put it down. Apparently, the pet shops in Dubai get all their hamsters free from the cancer-research centres, so my sister's hamster, or one of its parents, had been injected with cancer the tumour in its throat had grown so big that its eyes were forced out its head...
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Weirdo)
My sister had a hamster... she left it alone for 2 days coz it hadn't been out of its house thing that much, and when I finally went to check on it, I saw that its eyes had popped out! :confused:

We took it to the vets, and they put it down. Apparently, the pet shops in Dubai get all their hamsters free from the cancer-research centres, so my sister's hamster, or one of its parents, had been injected with cancer the tumour in its throat had grown so big that its eyes were forced out its head...
that is horrible how could people do that to other living things
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Weirdo)

Thats how one of my sisters other hamsters died. Although its eye didnt pop out it just inflated to a huge size. Same reason a tumour.
Cate
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emmz)

I know how you feel, I've had loads of pet hamsters. Sadly, there isn't really much you can do for an ill hamster, especially one this old. If she's lost lots of weight and really weak anyway, there isn't really much that you can do to help her If she's not in any obvious pain or discomfort, she might just get better though It's a promising sign that she's eating though!
emmz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cate)
I know how you feel, I've had loads of pet hamsters. Sadly, there isn't really much you can do for an ill hamster, especially one this old. If she's lost lots of weight and really weak anyway, there isn't really much that you can do to help her If she's not in any obvious pain or discomfort, she might just get better though It's a promising sign that she's eating though!
yea shes not very weak just that she used to be able to climb up the stairs lol but now she struggles getting up.

lol i dont make her climb them by the way its its own choice. i just put her on the bottom stair and it just goes up.
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
this thread seems to be showing a moral: dont have pet hamsters
Cate
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emmz)

Have you been to the vets yet? How is the hamster?
Agrippina
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Isn't the word "hamster" just so unbelievably cute!
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Eeyore)
Yes it is.
suz19
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Eeyore)
Awww, I love your Eeyore pic!
Agrippina
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by suz19)
Awww, I love your Eeyore pic!
Thanks it epitomises myself and the donkey!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (105)
43.75%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (39)
16.25%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (91)
37.92%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
2.08%

Watched Threads