This discussion is closed.
emmz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
ive been to the vets and they said the diarreah is mild and gave me some antibiotics. BUT he said this was the least of her problems as it has a big lump the size of a small egg. he said its significant and they cud do an x ray and stuff but wots the point i mean its 2 year old. then he said it cud just be a full bladder.
im totally confused. the hamsters active though but is getting old a bit quick and quite thin.

if u cant be arsed readin all this lol i'll understand.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
ive been to the vets and they said the diarreah is mild and gave me some antibiotics. BUT he said this was the least of her problems as it has a big lump the size of a small egg. he said its significant and they cud do an x ray and stuff but wots the point i mean its 2 year old. then he said it cud just be a full bladder.
im totally confused. the hamsters active though but is getting old a bit quick and quite thin.

Awww,

So, well, your choice is...?
Mr White
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emmz)

A hamster with diaorrea? My my, how peculiar.
joyabbott
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
awww sorry to hear about your hamster. To be honest, it sounds like it's getting quite ill. I persevered with my ill hamster, forcing it to take antibiotics from a pipette. In the end I decided the most humane thing to do was to have it put down... I did this with future hamsters too as they don't tend to get over illnesses,
emmz
Rep:
?
(Original post by thefish_uk)
Awww,

So, well, your choice is...?
just give it the antibiotics. theres no point wotsoever in the operation coz for one theres a good chance she cud die frm the anasthetic (soz 4 spellin lol) and there going to have to cut it open down the middle. secondly it cud just be a full bladder so all that wud be a waste of time. im trying to look at it frm the hamsters point of view lol.

i wud have thought a vet cud tell the difference between a bladder and a lump
emmz
Rep:
?
(Original post by joyabbott)
awww sorry to hear about your hamster. To be honest, it sounds like it's getting quite ill. I persevered with my ill hamster, forcing it to take antibiotics from a pipette. In the end I decided the most humane thing to do was to have it put down... I did this with future hamsters too as they don't tend to get over illnesses,
the diareheas getting better though - just the lump (if it is a lump) and the fact that its gone weaker and lighter
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
just give it the antibiotics. theres no point wotsoever in the operation coz for one theres a good chance she cud die frm the anasthetic (soz 4 spellin lol) and there going to have to cut it open down the middle. secondly it cud just be a full bladder so all that wud be a waste of time. im trying to look at it frm the hamsters point of view lol.

Aw ok.

Good luck for the hamster.

What's its name?
boygenious
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emmz)

i didn't know rats could get diarrhea. but anyway the treatment should be similar to that in humans i.e. eating anti-peristaltic agents (like loperamide)
emmz
Rep:
?
(Original post by thefish_uk)
Aw ok.

Good luck for the hamster.

What's its name?
lol badger - but if u saw it ud know y
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by boygenious)
i didn't know rats could get diarrhea. but anyway the treatment should be similar to that in humans i.e. eating anti-peristaltic agents (like loperamide)
You mean rodents.

**narrows eyes**
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
lol badger - but if u saw it ud know y
Badger, eh.

I used to have a hamster. She was called Fang.
emmz
Rep:
?
has any1 had an hamster wiv a tumour. did it live ok?
Jonatan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
It is quite individual how a tumour affects an animal. Just as with Humans a tumour may behave in different ways. Some grow really slowly and do not destroy the surounding tissue. Other are agressive and destroys the internal organs. In some rare cases they even disapear by themselves. However, if it is indeed a cancer tumour I think the best thing would actually be to put it out as you say it has been weak. Better to let it die in its sleep than having it live in pain for a long time. After all, it is quite old for a Hamster.

Btw: could some moderator please remove all those horrible posts earlier in this thread? God, it just makes me sick that some people actually think that sort of behaviour is entertaining...
Cate
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
My sis had a gerbil with a tumor. Not only did it have a huge tumor on its tummy, but it also had something else really wrong with it, but I can't remember what right now.

It lived to be five years old - that's really, really old for a gerbil, whose average life span is about 2.

Badger is a cute name, I hope she gets better soon!
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
my hamster got lung cancer. apparently it was smoking behind the bikeshed when i wasnt looking.
emmz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jonatan)
It is quite individual how a tumour affects an animal. Just as with Humans a tumour may behave in different ways. Some grow really slowly and do not destroy the surounding tissue. Other are agressive and destroys the internal organs. In some rare cases they even disapear by themselves. However, if it is indeed a cancer tumour I think the best thing would actually be to put it out as you say it has been weak. Better to let it die in its sleep than having it live in pain for a long time. After all, it is quite old for a Hamster.

Btw: could some moderator please remove all those horrible posts earlier in this thread? God, it just makes me sick that some people actually think that sort of behaviour is entertaining...

do u think i shud take it for an x ray to at least determine wot it is. im not sure if x rays can tell if its cancer or not though. it doesnt seem to be suffering at all
Jonatan
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
do u think i shud take it for an x ray to at least determine wot it is. im not sure if x rays can tell if its cancer or not though. it doesnt seem to be suffering at all
I dont know, ask the vet if (s)he thinks its neccessary to make an x-ray or if you should wait. They are the experts after all, and if anyone should know its them. That it doesnt suffer is of course a good sign (and it is good for the sake of the hamster). My girlfriends kitten got a lump, but it turned out not to be a tumour.
emmz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jonatan)
I dont know, ask the vet if (s)he thinks its neccessary to make an x-ray or if you should wait. They are the experts after all, and if anyone should know its them. That it doesnt suffer is of course a good sign (and it is good for the sake of the hamster). My girlfriends kitten got a lump, but it turned out not to be a tumour.
the price has got to be considered as well although its nothin to do wiv the hamsters health
Jonatan
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
the price has got to be considered as well although its nothin to do wiv the hamsters health
Well, it is up to you. Id say you should talk to the vet and ask if it is neccessary to make an x-ray. I cant really tell you whether it is worth the money, as I do not know how you feel nor what you can afford. Had it been my cat I think I would have taken it to the x-ray, but then cats live much longer than hamsters.
puke
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
kill it kill it kill it kill it kill it kill it kill it kill it kill it kill it kill it kill it kill it
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (62)
19.38%
Virtual accommodation tour (45)
14.06%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (16)
5%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.94%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.44%
Taster lectures or seminars (70)
21.88%
Speak to current students studying my course (69)
21.56%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
4.06%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.75%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.5%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (5)
1.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.88%

Watched Threads