Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    I'd like to see it race a F1 car when a lot of the unnecessary restrictions are stripped out... *melts*
    that idea needs a hefalump of a lot more thinking about. these "unnecessary restrictions" are what makes f1 f1. what rules do you deem uneccessary restrictions?

(Original post by El Chueco)
    that idea needs a hefalump of a lot more thinking about. these "unnecessary restrictions" are what makes f1 f1. what rules do you deem uneccessary restrictions?
    The ones that exist because of tracks being old/unable to expand rather than 'pure safety'. Also, ones that exist for cost cutting reasons only.

ReputationRep:
    The ones that exist because of tracks being old/unable to expand rather than 'pure safety'. Also, ones that exist for cost cutting reasons only.
    examples? where do you draw the line at engine size? and what tyres should they run? what wings can they run? is active suspension involved? traction control? skirts?

examples? where do you draw the line at engine size? and what tyres should they run? what wings can they run? is active suspension involved? traction control? skirts?
    I'm not a mech eng

But I know that some regs are there to keep costs down and because of tracks being unable to keep cars that fast - reasonably safe.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a mech eng

But I know that some regs are there to keep costs down and because of tracks being unable to keep cars that fast - reasonably safe.
    the regs that arent there to cut costs are there to slow them down. but the f1 cars of 05 are the fastest they have ever been. BAR got one over 400kmh that was legal to race in f1, though, far to skittery and awful. the dragsterish settings possible...

the regs that arent there to cut costs are there to slow them down. but the f1 cars of 05 are the fastest they have ever been. BAR got one over 400kmh that was legal to race in f1, though, far to skittery and awful. the dragsterish settings possible...
    Apparently, if you allowed active suspension and skirts and allow 2004 wings

(and I'm sure 2004 was the fastest they've ever been)

You could chop lap times by a good ten seconds... whoosh!

With a larger engines, bigger tyres without the grooves and no restriction on exotic materials on the brakes - you could go even faster... mind blowing... they'd be like missiles stuck to the ground...

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, if you allowed active suspension and skirts and allow 2004 wings

(and I'm sure 2004 was the fastest they've ever been)

You could chop lap times by a good ten seconds... whoosh!

With a larger engines, bigger tyres without the grooves and no restriction on exotic materials on the brakes - you could go even faster... mind blowing... they'd be like missiles stuck to the ground...
    i dont think so, most teams will have clawed back the downforce they lost and got some more on top of that. but yeh, if you had 80's rules with todays technology, i reckon laptimes would be min 20 seconds faster. even though the engines were smaller...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    you obviously know nothing - the veyron is said to handle obscenely well, as does the enzo, whereas the viper is renowned for the two end of the car being interchangable at any moment.
    the veyrons 0-200 speed is faster than a Maclaren F1s 100-200 speed, so in that respect, its a lot more than just a big engine.
    I note that you didn't mention anything about what was modified to the Viper's engine and the output it produces compared to the Veyron. I never spoke about the Enzo's handling. The Enzo is set up how super cars should be - rear wheel drive. Why is the Veyron not anything but a big engine? 8 litres, 2 V8's bolted together and 4 turbochargers against a 6 litre V12 out of a BMW 8 series. They don't exactly compare together. If Mclaren had the same components they'd easily have squeezed a lot more horse power than Volkswagen but there's no point as it just gets stupid with torque levels breaking gearboxes and when you need to put special tyres on a car so it can reach it's top speed (Veyron) it gets a bit silly. At least with the F1 you could take it straight on to a track and hit top speeds without any modifications. I have actually heard of people taking it to the shops; there are actually storage compartments on the sides - but that's not being discussed now.

ReputationRep:
    lets see...you commented on its handling by saying that on tracks with a high proportion of corners it would get beaten by a nippy vauxhall. You may have the technical specs, but all the reviewers have said that despite the size of the engine, it is one of the best handling cars they had ever driven - surely that speaks volumes.

ReputationRep:
    You may have the technical specs, but all the reviewers have said that despite the size of the engine, it is one of the best handling cars they had ever driven - surely that speaks volumes.
    Ok, fair enough - i was mainly talking about the "great" engineering feat of the engine with 4 turbochargers strapped on to it. I won't argue about what some journalists have said about the car - not that i know about how great their driving abilility is but more as they've experienced it - so won't bother going there.

ReputationRep:
    I admit the method of increasing engine power would may have been primitive, but the other engineering parts, such as the gearbox and changing aerodynamic profile with speed are amazing engineering feats.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there is anything primitive in combining two engines together and getting it to run properly with FOUR turbos and still produce that sort of power RELIABLEY. That's pretty tricky stuff.

Though the Viper did it with the same sized engine (almost) but with 6 less cylinders and only two turbos, and the Saleen S7 does it with half the cylinders and 7.0 litres with just two turbos.

I think it's a bit harsh saying this is like comparing an Enzo to a 3cyl Corsa :rolleyes: I mean it is somewhat more comparible as they both have 1000hp with similar sort of drama levels in their overall design. The Viper is just cheap(ish) thrills compared to the Veyron. You can get this particular Viper for $225,000 whilst the Veyron cost £1.7 million. The Viper has some pretty staggering straightline performance, 0-200mph in 19.9 sec. As for the 255 top speed, well, I'd like to see it first. But I know the last Viper GTS-R was taken to over 212mph. In fact, it went from 205 to 212 by just removing the windscreen wipers.

As for the looks, I happen to like the Hennessey Viper, looks much better than the stock Viper, and tougher than the Veyron. But looks are subjective.

I can't wait until the S7 1000hp finally comes out. It'll be a little more than the Viper, but you get race car suspension and it still costs about $350,000; much less than the Veyron.

--------------

and changing aerodynamic profile with speed are amazing engineering feats.
    Do you mean the spoiler that raises? Porsche has done that for a while now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snmichaels)
    Do you mean the spoiler that raises? Porsche has done that for a while now.
    no - thats hardly impressive...
    as you accelerate the bonnet depresses and changes shape apparently...sounds very smart.

ReputationRep:
    So are we now looking at the cheapest or the best between the Veyron and the Viper? I thought it was the best.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, Veyron is obviously without a doubt a better car, I'm just putting the Viper in its place . That would be the cheap thrills category. Since most Americans are primarily interested in straightline performance, to them the Viper is worthy opponent to the Veyron.

It would be interesting to see a drag race between the two. The Viper would have a hard time getting traction I think. It would definately need to have some sticky tyres, I don't care if it has ~350mm sections or not, 1000hp/1100lbft will be a handful to hook-up without slicks and a soft rear suspension set-up. £1.7M would be hard to let go of unless money was absolutely no object.

The bonnet trick sounds pretty impressive indeed.

ReputationRep:
    Since most Americans are primarily interested in straightline performance, to them the Viper is worthy opponent to the Veyron.
    Exactly, the ONLY American road I know of that has corners is Route66. Its like their scared of corners

ReputationRep:
    California actually has some VERY nice winding roads that carve through the canyons. In fact, when American's refer to cars that can hanlde/corner well, they call them "Canyon-Carvers" for that very reason.

I think maybe the main reason why we only like drag racing is because Americans are naturally very competitive. We like to race each other and see who has the best car. This is a little difficult to do on the streets if you're trying to find the better handler. You can't go race through twisty roads on the street, espeically since there aren't many twisty roads in the first place. Since almost all towns have straight roads with lots of stoplights, the easiest way to prove your car (really it's whos has the best engine), was to race from stoplight to stoplight. That's really the only type of street racing you can do that isn't too relatively dangerous.

I mean, they've been doing this type of racing for over 50 years, it's apart of American culture. I used to race in the same meet-up place that my Dad and uncles used to race at, back in the 60's. Kids still race there. Check this shot of Rankin Road, the famous Houston street race meet, where people have been racing since the 60's.

This is a guy I knew back home, the blue truck is a seriously, seriously fast truck.

Here's another shot of him at an actual track:

Look at the street, look how black it is:

These are from some of the rare times when they race in the day. Usually, on a Friday or Saturday night, there are hundreds of people with easily 100 cars. This particular road, there is nothing on either side. Just one entrance road at the beginning, and one at the end, with nothing on either side but grass, then some trees.

Guys have been tweaking on their engines to get the most power from them at the age of 15 or less. The fastest I ever got my car was high 11's with nitrous. My unlce had a low 11 second car, and in 1968!!!! That's incredible considering it was a pretty big car.

ReputationRep:
    super fast drag cars

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.