The Student Room Group

Please suggest a guide on how I should do IB to get 45 on 45?

Hey guys,
Firstly, I am terribly sorry if this is not in the right forum or group!
Please could you help me out here. I will be commencing my first year of IB this August and I have a vacation of 2 months before that, and I would really like to prepare myself for this 'challenge'.
I have heard of many students who get 45 on 45 in IB and I would love to take it as a challenge. Could I please get advice on how to manage my time each day after I start IB (maybe how many hours each day on what etc) and also during this break of mine, so that I do not waste time but actually get prepared?
I appreciate every piece of advice and would love to hear how I can do this!
Thank you all.:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have heard of many students who get 45 on 45 in IB

Actually, if you look on the official IB website the actual figure of students who get 45/45 in an average year is about 0.1%, so it is very rare and highly difficult to achieve.
Also, you may want to move this to the IB forum to get a better response :smile:
Reply 2
Um, the best advice I can think of giving you:

1) Don't kill yourself.
2) Don't kill your teacher.
3) Don't procrastinate.
4) If you're taking a difficult subject (like Maths HL or Physics HL) practice everyday (especially for Maths)
5) Aim for a score that is suited to the future subject you want to get into for at Uni. (Eg: For Law in the UK, Oxbridge requires a prediction of 38, so my aim was 38+ and I did that in the end).
6) Follow the instructions to the very last letter and never hesitate to have something clarified.
7) Do your labs conscientiously.
8) Finish your EE and WL(s) in the summer before 12th grade. You will regret it fi you don't.
9) Don't start prepping for the IB before your 11th grade, the next two years will be a novel kind of hell for you, you might as well enjoy the time you have left. Besides, as motivated as you are now, if you start prepping now, you will burn out most probably before you reach the end.
Reply 3
Give up your life...
I want 45. Our college has been running it for 16 years and I want to be the first. >_< lol, I'm gonna die in a horrible fiery burning pit. ^_^
Reply 5
Original post by WhisperOfLove
Hey guys,
Firstly, I am terribly sorry if this is not in the right forum or group!
Please could you help me out here. I will be commencing my first year of IB this August and I have a vacation of 2 months before that, and I would really like to prepare myself for this 'challenge'.
I have heard of many students who get 45 on 45 in IB and I would love to take it as a challenge. Could I please get advice on how to manage my time each day after I start IB (maybe how many hours each day on what etc) and also during this break of mine, so that I do not waste time but actually get prepared?
I appreciate every piece of advice and would love to hear how I can do this!
Thank you all.:smile:

Most important piece of advice is probably not to be disappointed if you DON'T get 45 points in the end, because you were unlucky on one paper and got 44 instead or something like that.
There is no 'guide' to getting 45/45 hence a ridiculously few people world wide ever obtain it. From the way you've written your post it appears you don't know much about the IB, ie you hear it's a "challenge" to get 45... I suggest you do some serious research on just what you are taking on and try to be realistic.

There's no reason you can't do it, but think carefully before you set yourself to firmly on it.
Good luck.
Don't understand why people obsess about 45 'perfect points'. Wouldn't be that difficult if you took math studies, ESS, a language you were fluent in at B level, etc.

EDIT: Since a few people negged me I thought I'd explain myself a bit better. I'm guessing a lot of people take those subjects and took offense, but it wasn't really my aim to belittle them

I believe it's always important to aim for the best, however in the case of IB I don't think getting 45 points says anything about your intelligence or your character. I think it is a fault of the IB to place so much emphasis on overall point score, as I often see many people compromising their education for their overall point score.

For example, in my Chinese AB Initio class, there was one girl completely fluent in Chinese from day 1. However, since she had never officially studied it at school she was allowed to take it at AB Initio level. She would sleep during class, or sit there not listening, and basically over the course of two years learn nothing, for the sake of an easy 7 at the end.

On the other hand, another girl in my year was completely fluent in Spanish, yet had also never studied it and could have easily had a 7 at spanish B level without any effort. However, she did actually want to learn something over 2 years and chose to take Mandarin B level (she had studied it at GCSE and enjoyed it). After a lot of hard work she got a 5 in the finals.

So, the overall point score shows girl 1 as the 'smarter' one. But it's obvious to see who achieved the most. There are more cases where people capable of (probably) getting a 5 in math standard and learning a lot more choose to do studies just becuase its less effort and higher point score. That's why I think it's better for you to aim for the best you can in each individual subject rather than concentrating on getting a '45'.

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Work consistently well and start exam prep early. Just because the exams are at the end of two years doesn't mean you can enjoy education for the sake of it.
Reply 9
Haha I was just like you when I started IB, thinking "so what if only< 0.1% of people worldwide get 45, I'll be that special one"...big mistake. IB really gives you a reality check of where you are. I guess if I had to give one piece of advice though it would be to:

Work doubly hard RIGHT FROM THE BEGINNING, as every mark counts, build up a solid foundation (this makes your life later much easier), and most importantly DO NOT PROCRASTINATE!!!!!!!!! no matter what

well good luck I guess :smile:
Reply 10
What the posters above said, pretty much. Have solid time management and do your IAs well throughout the course; you don't really need to do any special revision throughout the course if you start exam prep early enough. The thing to remember, however, is that in the end getting 45 points is very much down to how lucky you get with examiners, exam questions and IA marking - I'm not saying this is true for all IB grades, but probably is for the very high end (43-45ish points) since very few people get high 7s (probs 90ish% or more) throughout the course in all six subjects as well as the other components. Personally I was predicted 44 points for uni admissions but I reckon my final grades could be anywhere between 38-45 points...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
I personally wouldn't classify less than 0.1% as "ridiculously" hard (as some of the posters above me did), but you do need to be aware that it's a pretty tough goal. To be perfectly honest, in addition to practicing certain subjects (like Mathematics and any one of the Sciences) every day, you would need to have a considerable amount of talent in the subjects you're taking to get 45/45. A Level 7 on each subject is not as challenging as these people are making it out to be, but you will have to be talented at your choices (as well as willing to work hard) in order to get full marks.

BTW, in some subjects the grade boundaries for Level 7 are around 71%. It's not actually that hard.
Original post by cynthialf
What the posters above said, pretty much. Have solid time management and do your IAs well throughout the course; you don't really need to do any special revision throughout the course if you start exam prep early enough. The thing to remember, however, is that in the end getting 45 points is very much down to how lucky you get with examiners, exam questions and IA marking - I'm not saying this is true for all IB grades, but probably is for the very high end (43-45ish points) since very few people get high 7s (probs 90ish% or more) throughout the course in all six subjects as well as the other components. Personally I was predicted 44 points for uni admissions but I reckon my final grades could be anywhere between 38-45 points...

I don't know why you were negged, but this is an excellent post.
[ie getting a 7 in HL English is ridiculously hard...6s are commonplace, the 7 is certainly rare and comes down to the examiners sometimes]
Reply 13
take 'easier' courses for those subject areas your uni won't care about. ab initio language, math studies etc. if you're good in those areas they should be guaranteed 7s.
Thank you all so much for all your replies. I really, really appreciate it!
Could someone please tell how to get this in the IB forum though? Kind of new around here, thank you.
Reply 15
Speaking from experience, 45 is just a number. If you really want the next two years of your life to be fulfilling, all you have to do is pick the subjects you really love/are personally interested in (in this respect, I disagree with ellalor). No matter how difficult the subject is, if you really do love it things will fall into place and you will get a good grade because you will be inherently motivated to work hard at it.

With that said, don't think about the 45. Take one assignment/IA/essay/lab/oral at a time. Think about how you can do the best you possibly can at that moment in time given your circumstances. It will all eventually add up.

Just my two cents.
Original post by alsl333
Speaking from experience, 45 is just a number. If you really want the next two years of your life to be fulfilling, all you have to do is pick the subjects you really love/are personally interested in (in this respect, I disagree with ellalor). No matter how difficult the subject is, if you really do love it things will fall into place and you will get a good grade because you will be inherently motivated to work hard at it.

With that said, don't think about the 45. Take one assignment/IA/essay/lab/oral at a time. Think about how you can do the best you possibly can at that moment in time given your circumstances. It will all eventually add up.

Just my two cents.

thanks.. how much did you get? I guess you are right. For instance, I plan to do HL English, but then it depends on my IG results but Im hoping I get in for HL Eng, anyway, I've started reading a few of the novels and literature books we are suppose to read, and although some are terribly and painfully boring, I guess I have to get at it..
Im really worried about all this.
Reply 17
Original post by alsl333

Just my two cents.

Words of wisdom. 45 points doesn't require you to give up your social life at all, but you do need to have a very particular mindset, which is that everything 'counts' to you and that you will work hard throughout the course as opposed to in spurts.
Reply 18
I just got back my results and got 44. I got a 6 in French which was a surprise because that had been the one I'd consistently got 7s in from the first year, so I suppose what I'm trying to demonstrate is that you shouldn't go into the IB with that mindset of 'I have to get 45 out of 45', because even if you do everything exactly right, you might miss a point or two due to nerves or due to a difficult paper.

The other thing is, try not to look at it as a total of 45 which goes down as you lose points. It is better (and more appropriate) to look at it as a number starting from zero that's growing, as in any case, this course is meant to help you develop and grow in the two years, demonstrating a progress and growth in your 'number' as well.

There is only one method that is foolproof to getting 40+ (I don't want to say to getting 45, because luck can sway the top results). In my college and with everyone I know, the people who worked the hardest and studied the most, and truly committed to their coursework etc fully, were the ones who did better than they expected. Work out a really good revision plan and stick to it, and create a pattern in your life to your level of work per night. In my case, I'd got so used to sitting at my desk from 5 till 10 every night that it felt so weird when I finished to have got those hours back into my life, as I'd forgotten they existed outside revision. They now seem to drag aimlessly in comparison!

Finally, do not underestimate the power of coursework. It can make the difference between two grades. And coursework is not under exam conditions and you have plenty of time to complete it, so the first priority is to make that as perfect as you possibly can. It is the only area in which you can guarantee that your performance generally won't be affected by nerves or illness or a nasty surprise. So make the most of it!

Good luck, stay calm, and give yourself treats here and there, or you'll soon lose the will to live! And sitting at the other end now, I can say that the entire tedious process is worth it in the end. :smile:
It sounds really obvious, but worship mark schemes and past papers. Seriously. The volume of information you receive will be so great that you really need to make sure that what you're revising or writing about is relevant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending