The Student Room Group

Please suggest a guide on how I should do IB to get 45 on 45?

Scroll to see replies

My advice would be to not even attempt it. I'm serious. I got 44 in the IB a couple of years ago after obsessing about getting 45 for the entire two years. It drove me to the brink of insanity. Out of approximately 30,000 people taking the course each year roughly 30 of them will achieve 45. They will all be exceptionally smart, obsessively dedicated and will essentially have no life outside of studying. Even with all these things in place, there is a substantial element of luck. You may complete an exam paper which 9 times out of 10 would be awarded a 7 only to recieve a 6 because you got an examiner in a bad mood.

By all means study hard and do the best you can (within reason), but don't obsess over getting a perfect score. It's really not worth it.
Original post by addie14

Original post by addie14
I just got back my results and got 44. I got a 6 in French which was a surprise because that had been the one I'd consistently got 7s in from the first year, so I suppose what I'm trying to demonstrate is that you shouldn't go into the IB with that mindset of 'I have to get 45 out of 45', because even if you do everything exactly right, you might miss a point or two due to nerves or due to a difficult paper.

The other thing is, try not to look at it as a total of 45 which goes down as you lose points. It is better (and more appropriate) to look at it as a number starting from zero that's growing, as in any case, this course is meant to help you develop and grow in the two years, demonstrating a progress and growth in your 'number' as well.

There is only one method that is foolproof to getting 40+ (I don't want to say to getting 45, because luck can sway the top results). In my college and with everyone I know, the people who worked the hardest and studied the most, and truly committed to their coursework etc fully, were the ones who did better than they expected. Work out a really good revision plan and stick to it, and create a pattern in your life to your level of work per night. In my case, I'd got so used to sitting at my desk from 5 till 10 every night that it felt so weird when I finished to have got those hours back into my life, as I'd forgotten they existed outside revision. They now seem to drag aimlessly in comparison!

Finally, do not underestimate the power of coursework. It can make the difference between two grades. And coursework is not under exam conditions and you have plenty of time to complete it, so the first priority is to make that as perfect as you possibly can. It is the only area in which you can guarantee that your performance generally won't be affected by nerves or illness or a nasty surprise. So make the most of it!

Good luck, stay calm, and give yourself treats here and there, or you'll soon lose the will to live! And sitting at the other end now, I can say that the entire tedious process is worth it in the end. :smile:

ahh thank you so much! I will keep this in mind :biggrin:
Original post by Chucklefiend

My advice would be to not even attempt it. I'm serious. I got 44 in the IB a couple of years ago after obsessing about getting 45 for the entire two years. It drove me to the brink of insanity. Out of approximately 30,000 people taking the course each year roughly 30 of them will achieve 45. They will all be exceptionally smart, obsessively dedicated and will essentially have no life outside of studying. Even with all these things in place, there is a substantial element of luck. You may complete an exam paper which 9 times out of 10 would be awarded a 7 only to recieve a 6 because you got an examiner in a bad mood.

By all means study hard and do the best you can (within reason), but don't obsess over getting a perfect score. It's really not worth it.

woah lol thanks but Im feeling a little demotivated haha :wink:
Original post by arrowhead
Um, the best advice I can think of giving you:

1) Don't kill yourself.
2) Don't kill your teacher.
3) Don't procrastinate.
4) If you're taking a difficult subject (like Maths HL or Physics HL) practice everyday (especially for Maths)
5) Aim for a score that is suited to the future subject you want to get into for at Uni. (Eg: For Law in the UK, Oxbridge requires a prediction of 38, so my aim was 38+ and I did that in the end).
6) Follow the instructions to the very last letter and never hesitate to have something clarified.
7) Do your labs conscientiously.
8) Finish your EE and WL(s) in the summer before 12th grade. You will regret it fi you don't.
9) Don't start prepping for the IB before your 11th grade, the next two years will be a novel kind of hell for you, you might as well enjoy the time you have left. Besides, as motivated as you are now, if you start prepping now, you will burn out most probably before you reach the end.

Good advice, I'll take this all in. Except prepping before as the college are sending out maths work so I'm going to do it so I don't fall behind.

Can I ask, though, I'm a bit confused about the grades, I take it grade 11 is our grade 12 so grade 12 is our year thirteen?

Just I thought you were saying to do out EE before we did it! :rolleyes:
Hey OP my school had 3 students get 45, which is quite good and we generally have one every year. The advice seems to be pretty similar and that is to manage your time. Don't procrastinate, make good notes as you'll need them for 2 years worth of knowledge and also to write EE/TOK/WL's as soon as get because things get really really hectic in year 12. Time management comes every year and also to stay motivated without burning out.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
I found that after my first year of IB I started to lose motivation. So, it may sound stupid but to help remember what I was working towards I put up a picture of the university I wanted to get into and the amount of points I needed above my desk.
Reply 26
Original post by lottie :)
I found that after my first year of IB I started to lose motivation. So, it may sound stupid but to help remember what I was working towards I put up a picture of the university I wanted to get into and the amount of points I needed above my desk.

I did this too, but with the letter offering me a place, rather than a picture :smile:
Hey, as the previous posters said, I'd say try to get 40+ instead of obsessing over 45. Secondly, if the point of doing well is to get into your ideal university, you need more than just x points, you need to take subjects the professors care about (e.g. if you want to study economics and management at oxford, it is better to get 43 points and a 7 in maths HL than 44 points and a 6 in maths SL/studies).

Finally, if you are doing maths HL I would reccomend the Sevenoaks revision course in april before the exams.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28

I don't think it's really as difficult as you're making it out to be. If you catch an examiner in a bad mood, that does not necessarily mean you will get a 6 (by saying that you may complete a paper with would get a 7 nine times out of 10, and you may be unlucky and get a 6 instead, this is perfectly plausible, but could happen in any exam and is reflective neither of the difficulty of getting a 7 (as grade boundaries for 7 are usually 70%-80%, not significantly higher, and a good enough paper will always get it) nor of the weakness of the IB marking, but rather of the fact that it is impossible to have 100% consistent marking). If your work is good enough for a 7, you most likely will get a 7. In my school last year, of 78 IB candidates, 4 got 45/45 (28 got 40+); it doesn't therefore seem likely that only 30 out of all 30,000 candidates should be getting 45/45. It also doesn't seem likely that all of these 4 were "obsessively dedicated and essentially had no life outside of studying" - in fact, I know that at least 3 of them were perfectly nice and sociable people. It's really a matter of talent and hard work, and if you have enough talent, you do not need obsessive hard work. That's the same as in any field of life. Your mistake is in judging how rare that talent is, IMO.

Whilst I would agree with the advice not to worry about it if you lose marks and get 43 or 44 instead of 45, there's nothing wrong, and nothing unrealistic, about aiming for as high as you can possibly get (i.e. striving for 45/45). We don't have any info on which to guess the OP's level of learning talent, but isn't a bit unfair to assume that he isn't intelligent enough for a challenge like this?
Original post by AldrousHuxley
Hey, as the previous posters said, I'd say try to get 40+ instead of obsessing over 45. Secondly, if the point of doing well is to get into your ideal university, you need more than just x points, you need to take subjects the professors care about (e.g. if you want to study economics and management at oxford, it is better to get 43 points and a 6 in maths HL than 44 points and a 7 in maths SL/studies).

Finally, if you are doing maths HL I would reccomend the Sevenoaks revision course in april before the exams.

I think a 7 in HL Math would be most desirable with E&M at Oxford in mind :wink:
Original post by rohitronaldo
I think a 7 in HL Math would be most desirable with E&M at Oxford in mind :wink:

Yea, I got that the wong way around, changed now.
Original post by GameGod
If your work is good enough for a 7, you most likely will get a 7. In my school last year, of 78 IB candidates, 4 got 45/45 (28 got 40+); it doesn't therefore seem likely that only 30 out of all 30,000 candidates should be getting 45/45.

The precise figure is 0.17%.

"Only 65 (0.17%) of the 38,200 pupils who sat the exam last year scored the perfect 45 points."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/education/article4321718.ece

Compare this with the percentage achieving an A* at A Level: 1 in 12 or 8.3% and I think you'll find that my depiction of the difficulty of acheiving a perfect score in the IB is fully justified.

It is a common phenomenon, across all examinations, for high achieving students to be concentrated in a few exceptional institutions. This makes sense because these are usually the most selective schools which boast the best teaching and facilities. It is a stasistical fact that the vast majority of IB schools do not have a single student achieve a score of 45.

I accept that all students are subject to the same variabilty in marking standards in given exam. However, an IB student typically takes twice as many subjects as an A level, and thus has twice as much exposure to the afrementioned variability. I also refute your claim that somebody who deserves a seven will nearly always recieve it. Any student who submits an exam paper which should narrowly be awarded a seven is at significant risk of receiving a six instead. When the margins are tight examiner subjectivity, or essentially luck, plays a fairly major role in what grade is awarded.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 32
The precise figure is 0.17%.

"Only 65 (0.17%) of the 38,200 pupils who sat the exam last year scored the perfect 45 points."

Compare this with the percentage achieving an A* at A Level: 1 in 12 or 8.3% and I think you'll find that my depiction of the difficulty of acheiving a perfect score in the IB is fully justified.

It is a common phenomenon, across all examinations, for high achieving students to be concentrated in a few exceptional institutions. This makes sense because these are usually the most selective schools which boast the best teaching and facilities. It is a stasistical fact that the vast majority of IB schools do not have a single student achieve a score of 45.

Yes, but that expresses my point perfectly as well. Since my school, which could be called one of the "exceptional institutions", had 4 students scoring 45/45 in the IB, it's clear that it's not just a matter of luck: high-achieving students will have a very high propensity for doing well, and the highest achieving students will most likely score around full marks. And thus, it is hardly fair for you to tell the OP (who has not given us anything to indicate that he or she is not among these highest achieving students) "not to even attempt it" just because it's a difficult challenge.

In comparison with A-Levels, I would say that A-Levels still offer more opportunity for top students to stretch themselves, as it is obviously far harder to score 100% UMS over three A-Levels than it is to score 45/45 in the IB (because universities collect UMS marks for A-Levels, but not the raw marks for IB).

I accept that all students are subject to the same variabilty in marking standards in given exam. However, an IB student typically takes twice as many subjects as an A level, and thus has twice as much exposure to the afrementioned variability. I also refute your claim that somebody who deserves a seven will nearly always recieve it. Any student who submits an exam paper which should narrowly be awarded a seven is at significant risk of receiving a six instead. When the margins are tight examiner subjectivity, or essentially luck, plays a fairly major role in what grade is awarded.

I think you'll find that exams which will "narrowly be awarded a 7" do not come out as 6 as many as "9 out of 10 times"; more likely, you'll write a clear 7 exam about 6-7 of those times (and thus get a 7, no matter how "annoyed" your examiner may be), and a borderline exam just a few times. Thus, luck doesn't play such a big role after all. Yes, if you are a borderline 7 student, and you write a borderline 7 exam, and you happen to catch the examiner in a bad mood, you could end up with a 6 instead. But I bet there are more students in any given subject who are clear 7s than borderline enough for there to be a reasonable statistical probability that the examiner would give them a 6 instead of a 7.
Original post by GameGod
Yes, but that expresses my point perfectly as well. Since my school, which could be called one of the "exceptional institutions", had 4 students scoring 45/45 in the IB, it's clear that it's not just a matter of luck: high-achieving students will have a very high propensity for doing well, and the highest achieving students will most likely score around full marks. And thus, it is hardly fair for you to tell the OP (who has not given us anything to indicate that he or she is not among these highest achieving students) "not to even attempt it" just because it's a difficult challenge.

At no point did I claim that it was "just a matter of luck". What I said was that there was a significant element of luck involved, which is quite different. Even the most high achieving student is liable to have an off day at some point during one of their numerous exams. If indeed they do and they consequently perform at a level, that under most circumstances would be a boderline 7, they are at the mercy of the examiner's subjective judgement as to whether they are actually awarded that score.

The fact that high achieving students are concentrated in certain schools proves only, with regard to your point, that luck can account for no more than 49% of the variability of scores. This is because clusters of quality would still be apparent even if talent only accounted for 51% of resultant scores. While I by no means propose that the element of luck involved is anywhere near this high, I do maintain that it is significant.

I advised the OP not to obsess about achieving a perfect score, because from my first hand experience, doing so is neither helpful nor healthy. This is not to say they shouldn't work as hard as they can in order to reach their full potential.

Original post by GameGod
In comparison with A-Levels, I would say that A-Levels still offer more opportunity for top students to stretch themselves, as it is obviously far harder to score 100% UMS over three A-Levels than it is to score 45/45 in the IB (because universities collect UMS marks for A-Levels, but not the raw marks for IB).

I made the statistical comparison between the percentage of A level papers awarded an A* and the number of IB entrants awarded 45 merely to highlight the extreme difficulty of achieving 45 in the IB (8.3% compared to 0.17%), not to engage in yet another A Level vs IB debate. In any case, do you have any statistical evidence to backup your claims about UMS marks? If not, I see no reason to assume that "it is obviously far harder to score 100% UMS over three A-Levels". If 8.3% of A levels students are awarded an A*, it follows that 8.3% are achieving above 90% across all their subject modules. For your assertion to be valid less than 2% of those scoring over 90% (achieving an A*) would need to obtain 100% UMS in their 3 A level subjects. If you can prove this to be the case, be my guest. Regardless, the 0.17% of IB students achieving 45 in the IB form a more numerically exclusive group than the Triple Nine Society (which requires an IQ of over 149 to join). In short, a score of 45 in the IB is nothing short of remarkable and incredibly rare indeed.

Frankly, I think your comments about A levels stretching students more than the IB based on some misconceived notion about UMS marks is utterly unfounded and frankly laughable. Based on UCAS points alone, an A Level student would need to take 6 subjects and achieve A*s in all of them to obtain an equivalent number of UCAS points as an IB student with a 45 score. Typically A level students take only 3 subjects, conversely, the IB requires students to take a diverse range of subjects with a much greater depth than A levels. This produces multi-talented, well rounded students with a much wider range of knowledge and skills. Moreover the compulsory TOK teaches students highly valuable transferable techniques.

There is a reason that high performing independent schools and selective grammars are abandoning A Levels in droves in favour of what they themselves describe as the "more rigorous IB."
(edited 12 years ago)
My mentality is, aim for the highest but don't be disappointed if you don't get it. It puts me into the mentality of 'work the best you can to be the best'

My friend goes to kings college and he said the 12 people there got full marks, yes it is difficult but not impossible.

Granted i only finished my third week but i really want to do well.

So get the most you can out of the course and remember that if there was a full proof guide to getting 45/45 then everyone would be getting it and make the prestige of getting 40+ useless
Original post by chickenonsteroids
My mentality is, aim for the highest but don't be disappointed if you don't get it. It puts me into the mentality of 'work the best you can to be the best'

My friend goes to kings college and he said the 12 people there got full marks, yes it is difficult but not impossible.

Granted i only finished my third week but i really want to do well.

So get the most you can out of the course and remember that if there was a full proof guide to getting 45/45 then everyone would be getting it and make the prestige of getting 40+ useless

Kings College, Cambridge or Kings Colllege London?
Original post by rohitronaldo
Kings College, Cambridge or Kings Colllege London?

Sorry I forgot there were two. its London
At the end of the day, if you do your best, that's all that really matters.

Also, I think that even if a student has the potential to get a perfect 45, being in a school that isn't top-notch and that doesn't aim to bring the excellence out of the student will hinder his/her success. That's the reason that some schools tend to have many children getting 40+ and 45s every year and then there are those schools who have one student getting a 40+ once every other year because they just don't teach the IB well enough.
Original post by chickenonsteroids
Sorry I forgot there were two. its London

That's quite surprising, wouldn't expect too many 45s to land up at KCL but I guess they liked the uni life (London) and course better?
There are a lot of people (I mean I've met at least a dozen people) who got 44/45 in the IB at York. They're all, as you would expect, scarily intelligent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending