Are some unis against certain schools?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
*Riz*
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
I go to a state school in the north west and about 10-15 people in my year applied to Notts. All of these people had the required grades and what they thought to be good personal statments, references and exrta curricular stuff. So far every one of (including me) who has applied there has been rejected (without interview for those subjects that require interviews) apart from one person who was given an AAA offer.
I must admit I can see reasons why they rejected me and just presumed there were better people than me. I realise it needs more than just the right grades to get in but is it not more a coinceidence that almost all applicants from a high achieving school with the right grades get rejected from the same uni? Anyone had a similar experience?
press2play
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
similar, my head of sixth form told us that no-one from my school (girls grammar in s'west england) ever gets into bristol, something about the head teacher not having good relationships with the uni?! but loads of people, straight A, extra curricular, etc etc people, applied and didnt even get interviews. POSSIBLY a coincidence!!?
babyboo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
not being funny but i just think u are trying to find a reason for why u lot got rejected. its definately not that, just think of the demand for uni courses, obviously they have to reject more people than they accept and 15-20 people is a tiny percentage of the people that applied to notts. its just unfortunate thats all! i'm not having a go but just had to make my point!
*Riz*
Rep:
?
(Original post by press2play)
similar, my head of sixth form told us that no-one from my school (girls grammar in s'west england) ever gets into bristol, something about the head teacher not having good relationships with the uni?! but loads of people, straight A, extra curricular, etc etc people, applied and didnt even get interviews. POSSIBLY a coincidence!!?
Very possibly. One girl I know for example got rejected from NOtts without even an interview for Physio. She had staght A's in everything and loads of work experience which is quite hard to get for physio. They only ask for BBB I think.
*Riz*
Rep:
?
(Original post by babyboo)
not being funny but i just think u are trying to find a reason for why u lot got rejected. its definately not that, just think of the demand for uni courses, obviously they have to reject more people than they accept and 15-20 people is a tiny percentage of the people that applied to notts. its just unfortunate thats all! i'm not having a go but just had to make my point!
Yeah I understand your point and to be honest I don't think this is the reason why I, in particular got rejected. I applied for Psychology and their psycho department was top of the laeague tables last year. I was "only" predicted ABB and a realise they will be a lot of better straight A candidates applying.
It's just when a whole load of striaght A people ALL get rejected from Notts when they have ALL got offers from every other uni that they have applied to that I start to wonder....
babyboo
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by *Riz*)
Very possibly. One girl I know for example got rejected from NOtts without even an interview for Physio. She had staght A's in everything and loads of work experience which is quite hard to get for physio. They only ask for BBB I think.
maybe her personal statement didnt sell herself very well?! physio is such a hard course to get into at such a prestigious uni! ur argument about straight As is hardly valid when oxbridge are forced to decline some fantastic applicants and LSE for example except people with lower grades than others!
babyboo
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
ITS NOT JUST THE GRADES THAT DETERMINE WHETHER A STUDENT GETS IN! they r just a basis its the personal statement that makes u unique! what seem like a really good personal statement to an a level may not be so fantastic when an admissions director looks at it!
babyboo
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
ITS NOT JUST THE GRADES THAT DETERMINE WHETHER A STUDENT GETS IN! they r just a basis its the personal statement that makes u unique! what seem like a really good personal statement to an a level may not be so fantastic when an admissions director looks at it!
* meant to say what seems like a really good personal statement to an a level student *
*Riz*
Rep:
?
* meant to say what seems like a really good personal statement to an a level student *
Yes I completly understand your argument and I know in many individual cases straight a students get rejected as grades alone are not enough. What I am saying is when it happens to every single person from one school has something gone wrong somewhere?
HereFishyFishy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Hi, i agree with Riz. I do believe there is a degree of bias and unfair rejection with some uni's.
In my school, the headteacher and Law admissions at Durham had a fairly intense agument concerning a pupil with 5 As at A level. This was about six years ago, and since then every single pupil who has applied to do law at Durham has been rejected, despite dazzling grades and personal statement. Sure, it's possible that this is a coincidence, considering Durham is so highly subscribed, but to me it does seem a bit suspect. I mean, why shouldn't such a popular uni hold personal grudges...they can afford to!

I applied to study Law at Durham this year, so i could be asking for punishment....then again, i may not get in on the basis of superior competition! I don't believe their bias enough not to give applying a try...
*Riz*
Rep:
?
I applied to study Law at Durham this year, so i could be asking for punishment....then again, i may not get in on the basis of superior competition! I don't believe their bias enough not to give applying a try....

Yep - you'd always be kicking yourself for not trying otherwise.
babyboo
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by *Riz*)
Yes I completly understand your argument and I know in many individual cases straight a students get rejected as grades alone are not enough. What I am saying is when it happens to every single person from one school has something gone wrong somewhere?
and im saying that 15-20 people is nothin in comparsion to the 000s that applied its just coincidence that that tiny tiny amount got rejected from ur school. maybe all ya personal statements were poo! haha dont mean that nastily!
babyboo
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
what is a definintion of a fantastic personal statement?! what may be apppealing to one may not be to another....but i do believe that there seems to be discrimination surrounding ur school n durham!
*Riz*
Rep:
?
and im saying that 15-20 people is nothin in comparsion to the 000s that applied its just coincidence that that tiny tiny amount got rejected from ur school. maybe all ya personal statements were poo! haha dont mean that nastily!
Lol I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one
HereFishyFishy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

well...if it consistently happens I don't believe it can purely be coincidence!

Furthermore, its a bit stupid to say all the personal statements were 'poo.' The students in question were high achieving students....i doubt very much this lead to undermining personal statements!
babyboo
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
im just voicing my opinion on the matter my friend i aint doing a 'WilliamFoster'
*Riz*
Rep:
?
(Original post by Laces)
well...if it consistently happens I don't believe it can purely be coincidence!

Furthermore, its a bit stupid to say all the personal statements were 'poo.' The students in question were high achieving students....i doubt very much this lead to undermining personal statements!
Exactly my point! But I don't think we're going to change her opinion!
HereFishyFishy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
what is a definintion of a fantastic personal statement?! what may be apppealing to one may not be to another....but i do believe that there seems to be discrimination surrounding ur school n durham!

oh...right then. Well, if you believe it in one instance then you must see where Riz is coming from! You gotta accept his point of view
Elle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Perhaps it would be fairer if UCAS didn't allow the Universities to see what school you had come from.. (like they don't allow them to see the other Uni's you've a applied to). Jus a thought..
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Oh so Durham can discriminate but Notts can't? Silly me.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (105)
43.75%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (39)
16.25%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (91)
37.92%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
2.08%

Watched Threads