The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Elle
Perhaps it would be fairer if UCAS didn't allow the Universities to see what school you had come from.. (like they don't allow them to see the other Uni's you've a applied to). Jus a thought..

Agreed - but unis would say that they want to see the context of an applicants achievment.
Reply 21
Pencil Queen
It's unlikely that an entire university will have a prejudice against a single school - that would involve 30-100 admissions tutors from subjects as far apart as english and civil engineering sitting down and agreeing to reject all applicants from a certain school.

However it's not unknown for certain admissions tutors to take the references provided by certain schools with a large pinch of salt - usually based on experience of accepting a student with a glowing reference who turned out to be nowhere near as clever as their referee made out. Think the boy who cried wolf.

Lol pencil queen how do you always come up with perfect, logical explanations for things that keep everyone happy? :tongue: Good on you.....
Pencil Queen
It's unlikely that an entire university will have a prejudice against a single school - that would involve 30-100 admissions tutors from subjects as far apart as english and civil engineering sitting down and agreeing to reject all applicants from a certain school.

totally agree... it would be impractical to predudice an entire school. I doubt very much that a black list would be that widespread and it would certainly be the uni's loss!
But i maintain that it is possible with a single subject. Heard to many stories...
i think it is well known that bristol r against independent schools.
Reply 24
*Riz*
Agreed - but unis would say that they want to see the context of an applicants achievment.

hmmm.. good point- but if this is working against state schools anyway then maybe the advantages of doing it this way will outweight the disadvantages.
Reply 25
lgs98jonee
i think it is well known that bristol r against independent schools.

There's nothing wrong with that. Bristol is made up of Oxbridge rejects anyway. Its sick that at Oxbridge 50% of students have been educated independently, but its something like 5% of school kids are. Bristol is just as bad, these middle class universities need more inclusion.
Laces

But i maintain that it is possible with a single subject. Heard to many stories...

i agree. 3 people applied for maths at bath, all predicted AAA in subjects like maths, physics, chemistry and further maths, one even got an offer from oxford..... they've all had rejections in the last few days.
glad my application there was for maths and physics, which i think was delt with by the physics department!

Donna
-x-
Laces

indeed, of about 13 girls from my school (selective state) who applied to newcastle for medicine ALL were rejected without interview. i assume they must not like london schools or give preference to applicants from the north, these all had offers from oxbridge,ucl(think we have positive discrimination from them hehe),notts, etc all the other good medical schools, was just a bit bizarre of newcastle really...
this is so weird because i was going to apply for psychology at notts (with estimated 5 A's) but my psychology teacher told me not to bother because no-one from my college has ever got in there to study the subject, even some people who have got into oxbridge. i also go to a college in the north of england....coincidence?....i think not.
VoodooDoll
i also go to a college in the north of england....coincidence?....i think not.

what part are you implying notts discriminates against? being at a college or from the north? either way i would say for the uni as a whole that is utter rubbish but for psych i can't argue whether or not thats true, i got in and i went to a london state school, if you are that interested i can ask my friend who still does it what the cross section is like..
Reply 30
press2play
similar, my head of sixth form told us that no-one from my school (girls grammar in s'west england) ever gets into bristol, something about the head teacher not having good relationships with the uni?! but loads of people, straight A, extra curricular, etc etc people, applied and didnt even get interviews. POSSIBLY a coincidence!!?

Which school do you go to? (I'm from Plymouth High Girls Grammar).
Tried UWE but not Bristol, I can imagine my Head not having a good relationship with someone... she drives us all mad...and the teachers too...

EVa
VoodooDoll
this is so weird because i was going to apply for psychology at notts (with estimated 5 A's) but my psychology teacher told me not to bother because no-one from my college has ever got in there to study the subject, even some people who have got into oxbridge. i also go to a college in the north of england....coincidence?....i think not.

Sure, it looks like there is some sort of bias going on there.... but i doubt very much it is to do with your location! they're not that easily pissed off :wink:
Reply 32
VoodooDoll

Yep i applied for psycho.....
Reply 33
am i the only person that strongly disagrees!!!!!!!!!!! ah well
Reply 34
i think that unis not being able to see what school uv come from is an ok idea, though it does hav its downfalls - surely being predicted 3A's from a not so good comprehensive is more valuable than 3 A's from someone whose been to a top private school their whole lives? but then 3A's is still a lot of work so hmm this is a toughie....

though unis arent 'allowed' to see where else uv applied, i hav a sneaking suspicion that they do hav a system 'behind the scenes' so they know which unis hav made offers to which people... it wud explain a lot - people getting offers at cambo for medicine but not queen mary etc etc that kinda thing..

i used to think that didnt happen and it was just people being bitter cz they didnt get offers from anywer else *but* it wud explain a lot..!