Percentage equivalent for A-level requirements? Watch

punctuation
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
A-levels have always confused me because I am always guessing at the equivalent percentage score. I want to know so I can aim for a certain grade in school. I read somewhere that A would be 75% or higher, but I know that can't be right.

From my experience talking to people and looking at general admissions requirements...

A*AA = 90%+
AAA = 85%+
AAB = 80%+

Does anyone know a more concrete equivalent from A-levels to percentage grades?

Or can someone tell me if these are sort of correct?

Thanks very much. This question is very important to me.
ScotlandLiv
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Firstly, it is done on an individual basis, not A*AA = 90%.

Also, due to the UMS scale, the percentage on the paper differs year on year. You could get 90/100 UMS marks, but that does not mean you got 90% percent of the marks on the actual paper.

I know for an Economics A level on the WJEC exam board, it only required 39/60 on the paper to get an A but years before had been as high as 45/60.

Basically, its complicated, but it depends on the UMS scale. The grade boundaries when the UMS has taken effect, tend to be
A* 90% (average at A2)
80% = A
70% = B
punctuation
Rep:
?
(Original post by ScotlandLiv)
Firstly, it is done on an individual basis, not A*AA = 90%.

Also, due to the UMS scale, the percentage on the paper differs year on year. You could get 90/100 UMS marks, but that does not mean you got 90% percent of the marks on the actual paper.

I know for an Economics A level on the WJEC exam board, it only required 39/60 on the paper to get an A but years before had been as high as 45/60.

Basically, its complicated, but it depends on the UMS scale. The grade boundaries when the UMS has taken effect, tend to be
A* 90% (average at A2)
80% = A
70% = B
Yeah, I know. I was talking to an admissions officer for a certain course and she said she would be expecting about a 90%, so that why I mentioned it.

Oh... I see, thanks! That was really helpful! I'll have a look at the UMS scale.

That looks pretty good. I can handle those grades...

However, I'm a little confused as one of the courses I'm looking at asks for AAA, yet the university says they expect a minimum of 85% average for my qualification (for all courses, not just my specific one).

That wouldn't make much sense then, as according to the UMS scale AAA = 80s.

Would I be better off contacting each admissions office to ask how they weight things?
ScotlandLiv
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by punctuation)
Yeah, I know. I was talking to an admissions officer for a certain course and she said she would be expecting about a 90%, so that why I mentioned it.

Oh... I see, thanks! That was really helpful! I'll have a look at the UMS scale.

That looks pretty good. I can handle those grades...

However, I'm a little confused as one of the courses I'm looking at asks for AAA, yet the university says they expect a minimum of 85% average for my qualification (for all courses, not just my specific one).

That wouldn't make much sense then, as according to the UMS scale AAA = 80s.

Would I be better off contacting each admissions office to ask how they weight things?
Yes it would probably be best to be in direct contact with the admissions office.

I have never seen or heard of a university that expects particular percentages within the grades. Perhaps if you showed me a link I could understand this in context?

It may mention the percentage if the course is particularly competitive, and they like to view AS grades and percentages before giving offers. But it wouldnt be in the offer,

But for 3A's, you need 80% on the UMS of each of the subjects.
punctuation
Rep:
?
Yes it would probably be best to be in direct contact with the admissions office.

I have never seen or heard of a university that expects particular percentages within the grades. Perhaps if you showed me a link I could understand this in context?

It may mention the percentage if the course is particularly competitive, and they like to view AS grades and percentages before giving offers. But it wouldnt be in the offer,

But for 3A's, you need 80% on the UMS of each of the subjects.
Sorry, I don't understand your question.

Oh, it's not in the offer. I'm applying for 2012 entry, so I don't have any offers yet.
ScotlandLiv
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sorry, I don't understand your question.

Oh, it's not in the offer. I'm applying for 2012 entry, so I don't have any offers yet.
Which university and what course said that they expect 85%? (effectively an a)
punctuation
Rep:
?
Which university and what course said that they expect 85%? (effectively an a)
Oh, Oxford. It's not a specific course as I've mentioned. All the universities I checked just have a general page on international admissions requirements for all courses. On the Oxford one it says they expect at least an 85% for Canadian students. There was nothing specifically on my course though.
ScotlandLiv
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh, Oxford. It's not a specifc course as I've mentioned. All the universities I checked just have a general page on international admissions requirements for all courses. On the Oxford one it says they expect at least an 85% for Canadian students. There was nothing specifically on my course though.
Well clearly Oxford is one of the most competitive in the country to get into.
As far as I am aware, they would expect 85% in your AS grades (the first half of the A level) so that when you apply, they can tell that you got an A grade securely.

You apply after you have gained your AS grades, but not before you have done your A2 grades. In some cases, depending on your school, you declare your grades, so the university can see the percentages.

The higher the percentage, the more likely you are to get in. So because Oxford has so many applicants, they consider the people with 85% or more to have a better chance.
punctuation
Rep:
?
Well clearly Oxford is one of the most competitive in the country to get into.
As far as I am aware, they would expect 85% in your AS grades (the first half of the A level) so that when you apply, they can tell that you got an A grade securely.

You apply after you have gained your AS grades, but not before you have done your A2 grades. In some cases, depending on your school, you declare your grades, so the university can see the percentages.

The higher the percentage, the more likely you are to get in. So because Oxford has so many applicants, they consider the people with 85% or more to have a better chance.
My school isn't registered with UCAS so I'm applying individually. However, I'm told that I need to submit my existing grades and predicted ones. Right. Thanks for the advice!
oxymoronic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh, Oxford. It's not a specific course as I've mentioned. All the universities I checked just have a general page on international admissions requirements for all courses. On the Oxford one it says they expect at least an 85% for Canadian students. There was nothing specifically on my course though.
Contact the admissions offices of everywhere you're interested in and ask for the requirements for Canadian students. There is no need to try and translate the British requirements as they may well be different. You won't be the first Canadian applying there and certainly won't be the last, which is why most universities publish a list of alternative entry requirements for international students for each subject on their website.
punctuation
Rep:
?
(Original post by oxymoronic)
Contact the admissions offices of everywhere you're interested in and ask for the requirements for Canadian students. There is no need to try and translate the British requirements as they may well be different. You won't be the first Canadian applying there and certainly won't be the last, which is why most universities publish a list of alternative entry requirements for international students for each subject on their website.
Alright, I've just done so. Thanks!
Ceruleanmusic
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
What did they say for how to translate A*AA or AAA into Canadian percentage grades?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Ceruleanmusic)
What did they say for how to translate A*AA or AAA into Canadian percentage grades?
Hi, this is an old thread and the original posters are unlikely to reply.

You can see a typical conversion here:
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/canada/entry-requirements

Note, other universities might view them differently so it's always best to double-check.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (307)
15.16%
The paper was reasonable (1116)
55.11%
Not feeling great about that exam... (442)
21.83%
It was TERRIBLE (160)
7.9%

Watched Threads