?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Phonicsdude)
That is a mere puff.
This coming from a bag of air.
President_Ben
Badges: 13
Report 12 years ago
The yell.com survey is a pile of piddle since it measures for facilities per student. A very odd choice since being a big uni like UCL is - which means we have a massive student union that is more diverse and vibrant than UCL - would count against us in that kind of survey (compared to LSE which has an undergrad population of about 3500?)

UCL whips LSE for socials, we really do. Your student union sabs come to ours to get advice on how to make the clubs and societies situation better and increase participation in sports, theatre and music.

Best way to settle this: a battle to the death with pillows. UCL vs LSE, noon on March 1st in Trafalgar Square. That or a drinking competition (but your 50% oriental student make up will make that such an easy victory it isn't worth bringing up!)

--------------

(Original post by ba_ba1)
LSE is better especailly in terms of resources. The 2 unis are far from being the same.
LSE has a plush library. Sure. It is very good, slick and handy. Very useful for postgrads who need books above all else.

We have a massive gym, another massive student gym across the road with a swimming pool... a theatre we get full use of for theatre and arts, tennis courts in the nearby park (which has a zoo). Neither of us can claim to have full fields for sport but we do have a sports centre with space for football, cricket, martial arts, badmington, table tennis, netball, volleyball etc.

And more. To go on would be rubbing salt though.

--------------

Can and do they get into the top companies around the world?
Yes.
Researcher Lond
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by President_Ben)
bla bla bla the yell.com survey is a pile of piddle since it doesn't put UCL where I want it bla bla bla
Best way to settle this: a battle to the death with pillows. UCL vs LSE, noon on March 1st in Trafalgar Square. That or a drinking competition (but your 50% oriental student make up will make that such an easy victory it isn't worth bringing up!)
Or how about a book reading competition, where the fastest person to read a book and provide a 5,000 word summary gets a book voucher?

Is there really a pillow fight on March 1st? Because I'd be up for that. PD v RL for X's heart. The stuff of legends.
President_Ben
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Researcher Lond)
Or how about a book reading competition, where the fastest person to read a book and provide a 5,000 word summary gets a book voucher?
We have English students. They would eat you alive.

Is there really a pillow fight on March 1st? Because I'd be up for that. PD v RL for X's heart. The stuff of legends.
Well, UCL is actually waiting for LSE to get a move on this. We started to discuss the idea as just a pure UCL event and asked LSE and Kings back in November.

LSE are dragging so much we might have to wait til next academic year :rolleyes: Thanks guys.
Researcher Lond
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
We have English students. They would eat you alive.
Give them economic books and they'll break their little teeths.

Well, UCL is actually waiting for LSE to get a move on this. We started to discuss the idea as just a pure UCL event and asked LSE and Kings back in November.

LSE are dragging so much we might have to wait til next academic year :rolleyes: Thanks guys.
March is a bad time anyway. That's two months before exams start. TWO months!
Revenged
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

lol, i have exams at the end of every ****ing module :mad:

i am surprised this hasn't been deleted yet... everything seems to be these days...
President_Ben
Report 12 years ago
Give the Economists a book explaining post-modernism being represented in modern literature and they'll break their little teeths too :rolleyes:

It'd be one day :rolleyes:

March is about the only time it could happen this year since LSE have been so slow. Otherwise, next year.

And we'll still rinse you (and Strand Poly). That or we just ignore LSE and go ahead without you because you've been slow as *&^%
Researcher Lond
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Every poster on this page has warning points.

Does that make us bad boyz?

bad boyz bad boyz wat ya gonna do when they come 4 u?
President_Ben
Report 12 years ago
Every poster on this page has warning points.

Does that make us bad boyz?

bad boyz bad boyz wat ya gonna do when they come 4 u?
I got mine for sexually explicit posts. You?
Researcher Lond
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I got mine for sexually explicit posts. You?
Attachment with the words "**** ***" = bad

being offensive to other users

Wrong forum

Posting same thread in different forum

Spamming
President_Ben
Report 12 years ago
Mine is clearly the coolest.
Researcher Lond
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Mine is clearly the coolest.
You get the coolest warnings, I get the coolest university.
President_Ben
Report 12 years ago
You get the coolest warnings, I get the coolest university.
Nah, coolest warnings --> coolest people --> coolest university.
Revenged
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Nah, coolest warnings --> coolest people --> coolest university.
shameful posts --> shameful people --> shameful university

:eyeball::marchmell :eyeball:

Researcher Lond
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
:eyeball:
Revenged
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
:eyeball:
:withstupi
President_Ben
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Revenged)

Shameful?

Perverted at worst, but not shameful.
tomcoolinguk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The yell.com survey is a pile of piddle since it measures for facilities per student. A very odd choice since being a big uni like UCL is - which means we have a massive student union that is more diverse and vibrant than UCL - would count against us in that kind of survey (compared to LSE which has an undergrad population of about 3500?)

UCL whips LSE for socials, we really do. Your student union sabs come to ours to get advice on how to make the clubs and societies situation better and increase participation in sports, theatre and music.

But the situation at UCL is fairly depressing in this arena? Compared to other Russell Group unis, e.g. Nottingham and Birmingham, our socials are pretty appalling! Our students union is always the source of unrelentless criticism, because let's face it- they're failing.

(Original post by PresidentBen)
LSE has a plush library. Sure. It is very good, slick and handy. Very useful for postgrads who need books above all else.

We have a massive gym, another massive student gym across the road with a swimming pool... a theatre we get full use of for theatre and arts, tennis courts in the nearby park (which has a zoo). Neither of us can claim to have full fields for sport but we do have a sports centre with space for football, cricket, martial arts, badmington, table tennis, netball, volleyball etc.

And more. To go on would be rubbing salt though.
Having trained at Loughborough Uni's gym for over a year before coming to UCL, the gym was a big disappointment. It's tiny and sometimes the refraction of sunlight is downright dangerous!

The UCL Library is invariably out of at least half the items I go in for, even when I go in before reading week or the particular lecture! A big well stocked library is not just the prerogative of postgraduates.
President_Ben
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by tomcoolinguk)
But the situation at UCL is fairly depressing in this arena? Compared to other Russell Group unis, e.g. Nottingham and Birmingham, our socials are pretty appalling! Our students union is always the source of unrelentless criticism, because let's face it- they're failing.
Last year, it started to go a bit wrong in terms of 'nights' and the bars.

But we still have an excellent SU for clubs and societies (sports, theatre, music and activities).

Every so often, some of these clubs and societies book up the bars, fill them with people and whack a wad of cash behind the bar (I know Economics did - we also brought in 60 pizzas to be dished out for free). It was :cool: if restricted to Economists.

Socially, UCL still does brilliant. The Rocket and The Court are pretty mint for pubs since they go until 2am and 1am just about every night. The whole of the West End is a walk away and Camden for the alternative scene is a walk in the other direction. Pick another and you've got Fabric, The End etc. We've got a revived ULU that is picking up where UCLU has left off a lot of the time.

For SU nights, it is sad to say, but Kings is probably the best ofo us.

Having trained at Loughborough Uni's gym for over a year before coming to UCL, the gym was a big disappointment. It's tiny and sometimes the refraction of sunlight is downright dangerous!
Loughborough is a different league to us London unis for a gym.

The UCL Library is invariably out of at least half the items I go in for, even when I go in before reading week or the particular lecture! A big well stocked library is not just the prerogative of postgraduates.
That's down to your department then. We as undergrads can ask our department for books and they get ordered immediately. It's actually an underused facility because every year, a large bit of that money gets put into the fund for postgrads to blow on books.
kyril
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
President_Ben I have a small question. Do the people doing joint degrees (i. e. Economics and Geography, economics and Philosophy) have the chance to get involved in the activites of the Economics Department? And are they well accepted by the people doing straight economics? Or there is some snobbery around.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have any savings?

Yes (69)
77.53%
No (20)
22.47%

Watched Threads