Help - not able to write for jan A2 modules Watch

mph64
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hey - i would just like some advice cos last month i dislocated my right shoulder and this means i have been unable to write - i have 4 A2 modules in jan and i was wondering what will happen - i have handed into school a letter from my doctor saying that i cant write - from what i been told in school they said they would get a teacher i did not know to write my exams but i think this may cause problems as i do maths accounts and business studies which can be very technical and hard to explain to people who are not familiar to it - by jan i will be out of my sling but i would be out of my sling but to write with my right hand would be slow and painful and i would be knackered doing an hour and a half exams - i also hve been unable to write any revision notes which has been a problem as i find that the best way to remember stuff - so any advice ya may have would be great - thanks
Kyoto
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You should be eledgible for 25% extra time. Apart from that I don't know.
millano
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
they might make you do the exams in June
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You can get 25% extra time, or you can have someone to write for you. If I were you I'd get in touch with them and discuss it. You don't really need to explain stuff, as you'll just dictate your essay, but it might be hard if you need things like diagrams or special spellings.
mph64
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
millano - well they said i might as well give these exams a go in jan and then if i needed i could still repeat them in june
thats_my_poison
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
you might get to use a laptop cos there was a guy who dislocated his shoulder and he was allowed to use one but he didnt get extra time
Cirsium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by mph64)
i think this may cause problems as i do maths accounts and business studies which can be very technical and hard to explain to people who are not familiar to it
You don't explain you dictate - so provided they can spell the words it really doesn't matter. For a languages exam you'd have a problem but all they're doing is copying down what you say. Provided it's English they'll cope! :p:
andy5788
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hopefully I can be of some help given that I was in exactly the same predicament last year for my summer exams!

Basically you can get extra time (25%) and if you can write yourself I advise you do it. Practice being more concise with long written answers and thank god you don't do history like I did! 3 exams in a row totalling nearly 3 hours! My arm practically dropped off! :-s. But seriously, practice getting to the point, improves essay technique as well!

For Maths revision, I found it is worth going through your textbook and memorising all the "key points" boxes at the end of each chapter. If you can try and learn to write very basically left handed it will also be useful... If so, don't waste time when you are writing, as your arm will tire quickly, practice your weakest areas. If you can find anyone who could write maths and is willing to sit down with you, go through a few exam questions, again, plan ahead and target your weaker areas.

By the sounds of it you'll have had two months before your exams kick in. Once your arm is out of the sling keep up the physio, religously. I did well over an hour a day and believe me it helps recovery, a lot.

Other than that good luck, and remember, if the worst comes to the worst you can re-sit in June.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Derby
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evening - Derby Campus Postgraduate
    Tue, 22 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1495)
79.61%
Leave (383)
20.39%

Watched Threads