Most parents should be made to pay for their children's schooling

Watch
This discussion is closed.
yawn1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Anthony Seldon, Tony Blair's biographer is going to propose, tonight, that parents should be made to pay for their children's education in a 'cooperative' partnership with schools, following on from Blair's reasoning on top-up fees.
Link is http://education.guardian.co.uk/publ...140594,00.html
Is this a good idea?
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Anthony Seldon, Tony Blair's biographer is going to propose, tonight, that parents should be made to pay for their children's education in a 'cooperative' partnership with schools, following on from Blair's reasoning on top-up fees.
Link is http://education.guardian.co.uk/publ...140594,00.html
Is this a good idea?
They already do. Its called tax.
kildare
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
They already do. Its called tax.
quite.
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Dr seldon has been awarded my "**** of the day" award
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
No. It's a crap idea. But, since it comes from Blair's "biographer" it's about as relevent as the views of my cat.

Indeed, the final paragraph states

"Such a reform.......................... ...and goes well beyond current government thinking"
Parents already pay for their children's higher education as well, by tax. Since when has that saved anybody from paying extra?

Although the reform may go beyond current government thinking, so did top-up fees in 1997!!

Blair has already said he has plans for a 'radical' overhaul of education in the next parliament. Who's to say this idea being mooted (from his own biographer) is to 'test the waters' before being presented as a fait accompli.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
Dr seldon has been awarded my "**** of the day" award
Make that two. The princely *******
Elle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
lol.. this is the first issue that everyone agrees on..
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Elle)
lol.. this is the first issue that everyone agrees on..
It would be near impossible to charge people for sending their children to school due to the fact that so many children wouldn't go to school because their parents wouldn't pay it.
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Parents already pay for their children's higher education as well, by tax. Since when has that saved anybody from paying extra?

Although the reform may go beyond current government thinking, so did top-up fees in 1997!!

Blair has already said he has plans for a 'radical' overhaul of education in the next parliament. Who's to say this idea being mooted (from his own biographer) is to 'test the waters' before being presented as a fait accompli.
You may be right. Best we don't vote for the turd next time around.

To be honest, I have little sympathy. Blair and his wretched government has proven themselves time and time again to be thoroughly unscrupulous, and without an ounce of honesty.

If the nation is that stupid to re-elect the Labor party then we can well expect what's coming to us. And that might well include extra payments for school education despite it "going beyond (current) government thinking"
Saf!
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
parents pay tax.........so their children should get free education! :mad:
byb3
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
You may be right. Best we don't vote for the turd next time around.

To be honest, I have little sympathy. Blair and his wretched government has proven themselves time and time again to be thoroughly unscrupulous, and without an ounce of honesty.

If the nation is that stupid to re-elect the Labor party then we can well expect what's coming to us. And that might well include extra payments for school education despite it "going beyond (current) government thinking"
Labour will most likely get one more term in office, then probably back to the conservatives. Its kind of a yo yo situation.

Adam
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by byb3)
Labour will most likely get one more term in office, then probably back to the conservatives. Its kind of a yo yo situation.

Adam
Well, a people get the government they deserve.
Saf!
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i think blairs been priminister for too long and it's making him go mad!
byb3
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well, a people get the government they deserve.
Do you think that the liberal democrats will ever get in to power? I mean they have gradually increased their share of the vote over the past years.

I don't understand peoples reasoning where they say that since they have no chance of getting into power they wouldn't know how to run the country. The liberal democrats aren't ran by 10 year old kids.

It would seem that everytime Labour fail to accomplish a task, the country turn to the Conservatives. When the Conservatives fail to do the same, they turn back to Labour.

I say give them a chance.

Adam
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by byb3)
Do you think that the liberal democrats will ever get in to power? I mean they have gradually increased their share of the vote over the past years.

I don't understand peoples reasoning where they say that since they have no chance of getting into power they wouldn't know how to run the country. The liberal democrats aren't ran by 10 year old kids.

It would seem that everytime Labour fail to accomplish a task, the country turn to the Conservatives. When the Conservatives fail to do the same, they turn back to Labour.

I say give them a chance.

Adam
Well, you might be right. But experience/lack of counts for a lot. I have no experience flying a 747. Would you be happy for me to pilot you and your family to your holiday destination this year?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (105)
43.75%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (39)
16.25%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (91)
37.92%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
2.08%

Watched Threads