Turn on thread page Beta

Oxbridge Postgraduate watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    so I have to apply BEFORE finishing my degree? I thought some work experience gave you a better chance of getting in!
    No, you'd apply before finishing your degree if you wanted to go straight from undergrad/master's to PhD. Otherwise, apply whenever, but make sure you get your application in well before the date you want to start if you're applying speculatively.

One of the best times to get experience is duing the summer vacations of your undergrad course; summer studentships can be had in both academia and industry. Spending time working in industry between graduating and starting a PhD is less common, but I know a few people who've done it.

ReputationRep:
    ok fine... so I should work in industry during the summer holidays and apply before finishing my master... if you are rejected, can you reapply while working like with undergrad courses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Ace is Back)
    Sheesh, some people.
    Yes I said that I was wondering if I had made a mistake. However, I didn't ask for opinions on whether I had, I was asking for opinions as to how my situation would affect my chances of studying a postgrad qualification at Oxford or Cambridge.

--------------

(Original post by Fluffy)
    Agreed - I had 13 months of lab experience with what was then GlaxoWellcome (I took a year out of my degree and did a self organised Industrial Year), and got a few publications out of it. I was offered every PhD/D.Phil I applied for, and I'm 110% sure that is why...
    That is interesting to know. I am meant to be doing a lot of lab work to help out a friend with his PhD and so that could come in handy in the future.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people in this thread are talking about INTERVIEWS to do PhDs etc at Oxbridge...
    Insofar as I do not dispute these peoples experiences (as they know more than me), I seem to remember reading in quite a few places that formal interviews were not necessary for postgrad work at Oxbridge, just a simple tour of the department.
    This, I think, was from a person's testimonial of their experiences of applying to Oxbridge as a postgrad.
    It did stand out to me as being a bit strange that not even an informal interview was required.
    Prehaps it depends on the subject/department/college whether an interview is necessary?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikk)
    Yes I said that I was wondering if I had made a mistake. However, I didn't ask for opinions on whether I had, I was asking for opinions as to how my situation would affect my chances of studying a postgrad qualification at Oxford or Cambridge.
    So my opinion is yes it probably did damage your chances, ie that it was a mistake (particularly given the fact you chose it because it was closer to home), give or take a little depending on the course and its reputation for that course. That's not to say you shouldn't still try.. jeez.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProfessorFitBoy)
    A lot of people in this thread are talking about INTERVIEWS to do PhDs etc at Oxbridge...
    Insofar as I do not dispute these peoples experiences (as they know more than me), I seem to remember reading in quite a few places that formal interviews were not necessary for postgrad work at Oxbridge, just a simple tour of the department.
    This, I think, was from a person's testimonial of their experiences of applying to Oxbridge as a postgrad.
    It did stand out to me as being a bit strange that not even an informal interview was required.
    Prehaps it depends on the subject/department/college whether an interview is necessary?
    this is the case for internal applicants in my department, but thats obviously a little different...I believe that for external applicants there will be an interview for all uk applicants, obviously foreign applicants may be accepted purely on submitted work, but thats a different scenario.

ReputationRep:
    this is a terrible thread.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Peter123544)
    this is a terrible thread.

Why have you brought it back to life? What dark recesses of TSR were you in?

I have to admit though, it's quite amusing how deliberately pontificated the lexis of some of the previous discourse participants was.

Oops now I'm doing it

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, I am a undergra student planning to apply for a postgraduate school. I think three of the lecturers are willing to write reference for me, who are my temporary personal tutor, my dissertation tutor and a teaching fellow who will be working in Oxbridge in November. Most unis normally require two references. My temporary personal tutor was my lecturer one year ago, and he just became my personal tutor since the original personal tutor went away to some other country. My dissertation is a senior lecturer. The teaching fellow is very nice and he will not be working in Oxbridge till October or November. Who should I ask reference for?Would be much appreciated if you could provide any hints.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any experience of getting in with a 2:1 undergrad? I have an MPhil as well (both my degrees are from Bristol) and am applying for PhD. Unsure whether a 2:1 will really put me back!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Wondering if anyone could advise me - for my postgraduate applications, I have to supply an extract of a longer piece of undergrad. work, does anyone know how long the note giving context to it should be? Or if there is any specific way this should be written? Or just any tips on extracting longer essays, Im finding it difficult as feel like I have now disrupted its flow.

Thanks so much any help would be greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Hi I’m trying to choose a college - does anyone know what the sociable ones are?? Was thinking St Edmunds? Does anyone know if this is any good for postgrads?

Thanks for any advice!!

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.