The Student Room Group

Physics Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys, got a bit of an odd situation. But to cut a long story short, I'm torn between accepting my offer from Manchester and going through extra to apply for Birmingham (who have said that they will make me an offer if I apply through extra). I've heard that Manchester is a absolutely fantastic department and I definitely got a good vibe when I went up there wheras Birmingham doesn't have the same history and prestige, but I really really liked the department, and fell in love with the campus when I was there. Their sports and music facilities were also absolutely amazing, and their particle and cosmology course looked ace! But I'm wondering, if I were to go to Birmingham...would it be stupid to reject Manchester? Everyone has told me that Manchester is one of the top physics departments around, which to me makes it very hard to say no to. Any thoughts...? :confused:
Original post by myfriendSQRT(-1)
Hi guys, got a bit of an odd situation. But to cut a long story short, I'm torn between accepting my offer from Manchester and going through extra to apply for Birmingham (who have said that they will make me an offer if I apply through extra). I've heard that Manchester is a absolutely fantastic department and I definitely got a good vibe when I went up there wheras Birmingham doesn't have the same history and prestige, but I really really liked the department, and fell in love with the campus when I was there. Their sports and music facilities were also absolutely amazing, and their particle and cosmology course looked ace! But I'm wondering, if I were to go to Birmingham...would it be stupid to reject Manchester? Everyone has told me that Manchester is one of the top physics departments around, which to me makes it very hard to say no to. Any thoughts...? :confused:

Not at all. I applied to both and although I probably won't be going to B'ham (torn between manc and durham) I did think it's a great place, and is pretty damn good for physics. Although I can't personally see what you see in B'ham that isn't in Manc (apart from the really nice campus area) I would say if you love it that much, go for it. It seems that if you talk to anyone who knows what they're on about, such tiny differences in prestige make very little difference at undergrad level.
Original post by bistonut
Not at all. I applied to both and although I probably won't be going to B'ham (torn between manc and durham) I did think it's a great place, and is pretty damn good for physics. Although I can't personally see what you see in B'ham that isn't in Manc (apart from the really nice campus area) I would say if you love it that much, go for it. It seems that if you talk to anyone who knows what they're on about, such tiny differences in prestige make very little difference at undergrad level.

I think it a lot of it was the campus feel, and that your sport was right there when you needed it. I just could envisage myself more at a campus uni more...can't really explain it though...:P thanks though!
Hi I'm David :smile:
Gcses: 10 A*s and a B

Firm: Cambridge (complete fluke :P )
Insurance: either Leeds or Bristol

What would people recommend as my insurance? :/
Original post by DavidMRoper
Hi I'm David :smile:
Gcses: 10 A*s and a B

Firm: Cambridge (complete fluke :P )
Insurance: either Leeds or Bristol

What would people recommend as my insurance? :/

Bristol is considered to be better than Leeds for Physics.

Congratulations on your Cambridge offer! Which college?
Reply 1725

Im stuck between MCR and UCL at the moment, however I've visited Birmingham and loved it too. The atmosphere was fantastic and the department seemed brilliant, although I do recommend manchester. Whichever reasons you loved birmingham you'l probably find them also at manchester in the first week or so. Manchester has the best music scene outside of london too.
I liked manchester more than UCL, but i'd love to be in london :/

having said this, I'd probably also add that going with what you feel is right will most likely produce the best outcome
Original post by mastermind_107
Bristol is considered to be better than Leeds for Physics.

Congratulations on your Cambridge offer! Which college?

Thanks :smile: fitzwilliam - it seemed quite laid back and has three squash courts :smile: I'm swinging more to Bristol as second :smile:
Original post by Samdude
Im stuck between MCR and UCL at the moment, however I've visited Birmingham and loved it too. The atmosphere was fantastic and the department seemed brilliant, although I do recommend manchester. Whichever reasons you loved birmingham you'l probably find them also at manchester in the first week or so. Manchester has the best music scene outside of london too.
I liked manchester more than UCL, but i'd love to be in london :/

having said this, I'd probably also add that going with what you feel is right will most likely produce the best outcome

I feel like I should go to Manchester, but like you said Birmingham was also fantastic. I'd love to have the whole campus university thing going on, which Manchester doesn't have, but not sure whether this is more important than following my head on the "more prestigious" department theme.
Original post by DavidMRoper
Thanks :smile: fitzwilliam - it seemed quite laid back and has three squash courts :smile: I'm swinging more to Bristol as second :smile:

Fitzwilliam definitely has some of the nicest food in Cambridge: it's a nice place. :biggrin:
Reply 1729
I feel like I should go to Manchester, but like you said Birmingham was also fantastic. I'd love to have the whole campus university thing going on, which Manchester doesn't have, but not sure whether this is more important than following my head on the "more prestigious" department theme.

Balls to the prestige, just do what you want :] you'l probably do better if you go somewhere you like. To be honest, it'd be more efficient going to somewhere you like, because for what you don't make up with prestige, you make up with better grades and more motivation.
If you lived in fallowfield, thats like 15 mins from the centre and where all the crazy stuff happens, probably where I'll end up hehe
Looking to send my UCAS off this week :smile:
Original post by bistonut
Anyone go tuesday/wednesday to Durham from Mildert or in tour group B by chance?
All the open day did was bring me slightly into considering Durham more- I had swayed towards Manchester recently. Wish I could decide :frown:

What swayed you about Durham? I like the whole colleges thing but was it that or the actual physdics department?
Original post by alcimedes
What swayed you about Durham? I like the whole colleges thing but was it that or the actual physdics department?

Mainly the college system, but being able to have a proper look around the department made me realise it's quite nice, also still preferred Manchester's by the slightest margin. One thing I will say is that Durham do lack a Nuclear Physics Research Department, and it looks like quite an interesting area (although they said they're very strong in every other aspect, especially astro). Not sure if this is important for undergrad or not though.
Original post by TenaciousMonkey
Good luck for your interview! :smile:

got them all finally :biggrin: got an offer from UCL - AAB and Nottingham - AAA/A*AB :biggrin:
Reply 1734
Hey people,

Which would you recommend for Insurance: St. Andrews or Durham?

I am probably firming Imperial...
Firm: Exeter, Insurance: York

Bring on exam season motha' duckaa.
Reply 1736
Original post by guigao
Hey people,

Which would you recommend for Insurance: St. Andrews or Durham?

I am probably firming Imperial...

Unless you like to be a workaholic, then imperial can get ****ed.

Go to durham, still a great degree plus you get the vajayjay
Anyone here who applied to sheffield and is recieving loads of emails from them lately?

theres a webcam thing going on apparently today as well
Original post by helenajane
got them all finally :biggrin: got an offer from UCL - AAB and Nottingham - AAA/A*AB :biggrin:

what are your firm and insurance?
Reply 1739
Original post by internet tough guy
Anyone here who applied to sheffield and is recieving loads of emails from them lately?

theres a webcam thing going on apparently today as well

yeah sheffield have been sending a lot of emails recently, better than bath though who got my name wrong!

Quick Reply