The Student Room Group

Anxiety experiences and support

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
When I was 15 I was diagnosed with Anxiety and attended Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Classes.

I'm 21 now and think I may have slipped back into it.

Evidence

When trains go past i imagine it hitting some debris on the track with the debris chopping my head off.

I imagine train crashes everytime I get on a train.

I avoid going in the middle of the train in case of a terrorist attack.

I can't stand driving or cycling in busy areas.

I have a granma who is sick and I constantly imagine that every-time the phone rings its the call.

It seems that I not only know what could go wrong I visualize it. Should I seek help?

Possibly, I have the same problems - have done for as long as I can remember.

It's really debilitating and I know just how you feel.
Never like to leave my house these days..i made a plan for all my old mates to meet up and then i end up cancelling because im too comfortable at home, i feel i will get bored with these friends and that i dont want to be tired for work tomorrow. FML
Anyone find that eating sugar makes their anxiety worse? :erm:
Original post by kiss_me_now9
Anyone find that eating sugar makes their anxiety worse? :erm:

Yep! You need to try and eat as much natural sugar, home cooked food as you can. Try and avoid tea/coffee/other sources of caffeine and excess sugar as you can.
I've always been extremely quiet. I also don't eat and I'm extremely skinny. Get nervous sweats when attention is on me, embarressed easily and find it very hard to new people, although when i make friends with people I'm fine. I haven't seen a doctor in years and never a councilor, I wouldn't know where to go to. My main worry is my eating, I only eat when I feel hungry, which isn't often and I have an extremely small appetite.

Sometimes I'm fine when I drink.
Original post by Chicken Hulk
Never like to leave my house these days..i made a plan for all my old mates to meet up and then i end up cancelling because im too comfortable at home, i feel i will get bored with these friends and that i dont want to be tired for work tomorrow. FML

They seem like excuses to me, and I should know I'm a master at them so no judgement here.

You really just need to push yourself to do things. As long as you get home earlyish there should have been no reason to be tired tomorrow and if you are a bit tired it's not the end of the world.
the boyfriend was teasing me today by pretending to put the handbrake on whilst driving n i almost fainted... anxiety like that has never happened before... :/
Original post by puddledancer
They seem like excuses to me, and I should know I'm a master at them so no judgement here.

You really just need to push yourself to do things. As long as you get home earlyish there should have been no reason to be tired tomorrow and if you are a bit tired it's not the end of the world.

To be honest..thats straight to the point and just what i needed..thanks
Reply 2968
I have social anxiety and it's severe. Ever since I started primary school, I found it difficult to make friends or even talk to anyone.. if I tried my hands would end up shaking ( till this day it's the same - I'm 16 now). I've made a few friends here and there (which was a challenge).Also I find it hard to smile in front of people.. I mean I've never ever smiled before :/ Yet at home I laugh out loud etc. This is the least of my mental problems ... I also suffer from severe OCD ; I used to have make sure everything is neat and tidy if not i'd get angry or cry and punch someone.. even in my school books my handwriting would have to be neat in every page or i'd rip the page out or not even bother to write properly.. later my OCD has become really bad.. I have these thoughts which I must repeat ( and they're ridiculous.. I cry to myself sometimes thinking i'm mad) and if I don't repeat them atleast 3 times in my mind.. I feel strange and sick.. I don't want to feel like this anymore and my mother doesn't want to get medication because she believes it'll make it worse..
help.. what should I do about my OCD?
Original post by Chicken Hulk
To be honest..thats straight to the point and just what i needed..thanks

I hope it didn't seem too hard but you have to push yourself otherwise you won't go anywhere and miss out on things you really want to do.
Does anyone here have emetophobia (fear of vomiting?)

I'd say about 90% of my anxiety is related to this. It used to be really bad, where I couldn't go anywhere because I was so worried about suddenly being sick. I used to sit on the back row of anywhere, and at the corners if possible, e.g. in a cinema in a classroom etc. Now I'm slightly better, and will find myself sitting anywhere where there is spare seats, but every so often I get those thoughts: What if I suddenly need to be sick. Like the other day I had my driving theory test, and I saw signs before I went in stating You must not leave your desk when the test has started. and I began worrying, but managed to calm down.

I'd say about 90% of my anxiety is related to this. It used to be really bad, where I couldn't go anywhere because I was so worried about suddenly being sick. I used to sit on the back row of anywhere, and at the corners if possible, e.g. in a cinema in a classroom etc. Now I'm slightly better, and will find myself sitting anywhere where there is spare seats, but every so often I get those thoughts: What if I suddenly need to be sick. Like the other day I had my driving theory test, and I saw signs before I went in stating You must not leave your desk when the test has started. and I began worrying, but managed to calm down.

OMG THIS IS ME. I hate throwing up because I always pass out afterwards and having that loss of control anywhere but home is terrifying.
After a few sessions of CBT (6) , we have narrowed most of my anxiety down to one thing: worrying about having another panic attack.

6 weeks ago as school ended, I had perfectionistic anxiety and performance anxiety, which spread into everyday things. As school ended, on the last day, I started realising more and more that this was a problem, then on the last day 'party' I had ...I dunno.... terrible knots in my stomach, this was such a foreign feeling and I just couldn't shake it.

Ever since, any flutter in my stomach leads to this problem again; It's self fulfilling.

Any time not experiencing it Is spent worrying about the next episode- this can again branch into everyday things. For example ' I should go learn some dance moves...o wait I might/ will get that stomach feeling again' . I then avoid such things, or if I do them they do indeed lead to massive discomfort.

This sounds a bit like panic disorder and agoroaphobia?

I just don't know how to stop thinking about it. Admittedly the symptoms are less as thanks to CBT I now know that it isn't depression or something, but just my thoughts spiralling.... but it's still annoying....

I've tried breathing exercises...exercise itself etc...but I'm always thinking ' wouldn't it be awful if....' then It happens.

Any advice?

Original post by puddledancer
OMG THIS IS ME. I hate throwing up because I always pass out afterwards and having that loss of control anywhere but home is terrifying.

:hi: Yup. It sucks. :hugs:
I haven't been to school in 4 months and had to sit 4 gcse exams within the past 2 weeks. Anxiety makes me depressed. Does anyone else feel that the only way to live life day to day without feeling miserable is to constantly occupy and distract yourself with work etc? does it get better???????? I feel stuck.
I have extreme social anxiety to the point where I try to avoid social situations completely. I'm a very shy and introverted person and, as such, find it hard to hold conversations with people.
Last May/June, I got really down and went to speak to my school counsellor. Long story short, I ended up going to Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services. I've been going there since last June, but I'm 18 now - my sessions are only going to last until August when I get my results, which is probably when I'm going to need the sessions most because a) I don't think I did that good on my exams and b) I botched my uni application this year so am having to reapply in September, which may lead to interviews which my social anxiety caused me to 'fail' this time around.

Does anyone have any advice on how to overcome social anxiety? I just don't feel like I can be myself around a lot of people, I see myself in a negative light and I feel paranoid that other people do as well. I over-analyse situations to the point where I convince myself that everything I said or did, someone interpreted negatively against me.
While I can acknowledge that my feelings are disproportionate, I can't help how I feel, and I'm worried about life without CAMHS. Though the sessions there haven't helped me gain the skills or confidence I had hoped they would last June, and though I don't feel like I will be taking anything away from the sessions, they do help. It's nice to just be able to talk to someone for an hour a fortnight about me and my feelings, and know I'm not being judged. The problem is, I don't have really have any friends that could potentially take the place of my counsellor.

How do I cope in August? How can I overcome my anxiety and paranoia?

I have it. It's so bad, it's gotten so much worse suddenly. I can't get on buses or trains and I get really nervous in cars, I constantly think about it and even if my belly rumbles slightly I think what if? I'm really fedd up with it and I just want it to go away

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2977
Can I ask, what time does everyone shoot for bed and in practice have you found an earlier night helps with everything?
2 years have mainly getting to sleep around or after midnight have made me feel crap, but I don't know whether I'm exaggerating the symptoms. It's hardly insomnia. :s-smilie:
Also at 19 people make fun of you for needing to go to bed for 10 or 11 >_<
I find if I get a good night sleep before hand I feel a lot better when faced with things because else I'm tired and ratty and I just break down even worse :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Riku
Can I ask, what time does everyone shoot for bed and in practice have you found an earlier night helps with everything?
2 years have mainly getting to sleep around or after midnight have made me feel crap, but I don't know whether I'm exaggerating the symptoms. It's hardly insomnia. :s-smilie:
Also at 19 people make fun of you for needing to go to bed for 10 or 11 >_<

I struggled a lot in my first uni semester were I wouldnt usually be able to get to sleep till after midnight, on a good night, if I had uni the next morning and so I'd get about 5 hours sleep which would sometimes be enough. Other nights thoug I'd get 1-3 hours and it'd kill me.

I'm a bit better now but do get the occasional bout of insomnia. I do try and get to sleep around midnight now but if not I sleep in so it can become a bit of a bad cycle it depends how I'm feeling at the time.

Quick Reply

Latest