The Student Room Group

Anxiety experiences and support

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3140
All you people with anxiety being and going to uni really inspire me :smile: That's what stopped me, I barely made it through college it was spent in fear and tears a lot of the time. I'm not sure if what I have is anxiety. I do have all the normal symptoms when I'm scared or anxious, I am not a social butterfly, I am so shy I have no social experiance outside of work. I am shy and anxious even being with a lot of my family alone unless there is a big group involved and I don't feel all the attention is on me. I have a terrible time with that voice whispering in the back of my head that I am never good enough, never smart enough to make it through simple courses let alone uni. I find the worst thing is the constant worry and anxiety of making a fool out of myself and worrying about what I say, it keeps me awake at night just worrying all the time :frown: I have actually just been to my GP recently, waiting to hear about this counceling he has suggested, I really hope to start managing this and then maybe I'll ready for uni someday, I want to be a teacher but even I know if I'm always worried, second guessing myself and in no way able to do presentations infront of people it's a terrible idea right now.

I'm not sure what a counceller can offer but I'll try anything, we decided to go for this before meds. I think I have the reverse of social anxiety the larger a group the more I can handle the situation but the less then no way, then the attention is on me and that's when I freak out ¬_¬
I came across this video which I first thought wouldn't be of any use to me, considering I've had panic attack for 6 years, but I tried it once during a panic attack (I thought "what have I got to lose?") and found it to be EXTREMELY effective. It didn't really work for me long-term though. Give it a go if you feel like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuDLCCIGHYw&feature=related
does anyone here have a comfort object? Like a cuddly toy they were given when they were born? I recently left mine on holiday in a different country and I'm absolutely devestated and really panicky and anxious since I've lost it.
Big Big big big big big big big big news.

I've come out about my panic to my boss.

I haven't had a good night, I was called in to cover which I was okay with but I had a bad lunch and was more tired than I thought and I really felt myself on the edge of a big one so I pulled my supervisor to one side and was like "Hey so I need to tell you something but you have to keep it a secret, I get panic attacks sometimes and I'm feeling a bit anxious so I'm gunna be looking weird for a bit."

She was like (if you can excuse my teenage girl storytelling) "Why haven't you told anyone before, what do you usually do."

I said "I was told by my doctor I didn't have to tell and I try and get on with it."

So anyway I went outside for a breather and called a friend, I was anxious probably then from telling someone.

But after I calmed down I asked her if she thought any different from me and she said no.

So I asked my boss if I could talk to her and I explained a bit and that she should probably know because I was going back to uni and would be getting a bit stressed and stuff and she was good about it. I had talked to her yesterday about me doing more work than some other people because it was pissing me off so I hope she takes it less like I was backed into a corner and more that I want to open up a bit. I did say I was a but ashamed and it was personal and she responded well and commented something on one of my Facebook status' that make me think she thinks the same of me.

I'm not holding out much hope for sleep tonight because of all of this because I'm so tired. I feel weird but not in a bad way, though I really still don't want others to know because I know that my boss and supervisor won't treat be differently but I have a feeling that others will because it's quite bitchy and immature at times.

Phew.
Could someone PLEASE help me! I have GAD and slight health anxiety. I have a symptom which is definitely real, but could be caused by anxiety. It's something that I often notice, but doesn't actually cause any pain. I'm scared to tell someone or google the symptom because I really don't want to confirm my anxieties. I've been ignoring it because I don't want to face the fact it could be serious. What should I do?
I've been getting some major anxiety recently myself, I even had a panic attack on an airplane while I was on the way to my holiday. I felt like I was suffocating at one point. It made me really scared about planes. :frown: On the way back I managed to get back on after my parents gave me diazepam and I felt a lot better, but still a bit nervy and uncomforable at times.

I've also been dumped by my boyfriend today, so I've been feeling a bit sicky, anxious, unable to eat and with heart palps all day, which probably hasn't made the whole recent feelings any better.
I know recently my dad said about before I go off to do my erasmus, sending me to his cognitive therapist before I go, but does anyone else have any further advice for me really? Today has made me feel a lot worse and I just really need help on top of this all, especially also with the stresses of my year abroad coming up on top awell.

The odd thing really is that when I was younger I never used to suffer from anything like that, I did go through a phase when I was bullied badly and felt quite depressed and did some stupid things, but never anxiety. In fact I have over the last two years become a much more confident person and I've felt a million times happier with myself and somehow managed to develop this anxiety while I've been happier instead. Its just the knock from today if anything that has make me feel low and has knocked my confidence for a bit, probably not helped by my stress symptoms I've been having already.
Original post by Anonymous
Could someone PLEASE help me! I have GAD and slight health anxiety. I have a symptom which is definitely real, but could be caused by anxiety. It's something that I often notice, but doesn't actually cause any pain. I'm scared to tell someone or google the symptom because I really don't want to confirm my anxieties. I've been ignoring it because I don't want to face the fact it could be serious. What should I do?

You can tell me the symptom. If you have health anxiety, you're most likely to believe it is worse than it is. And because you think it may be anxiety - it probably is. Do you have any coping strategies for when you feel anxious?

Original post by GirasoleL
In fact I have over the last two years become a much more confident person and I've felt a million times happier with myself and somehow managed to develop this anxiety while I've been happier instead. Its just the knock from today if anything that has make me feel low and has knocked my confidence for a bit, probably not helped by my stress symptoms I've been having already.

I feel the same. I'll be on a 'high' - progressing so much and being really pleased with myself, then one morning I'll be getting dressed or one night I'll be ready to sleep and then suddenly the anxiety and panic would hit me. It's really strange isn't it? I used to get bullied from 11-14 and I never had anxiety back then, it's just as I got older and began being more independent. Maybe that's just because we're maturing a lot more so we face new challenges. I don't know. I know the feelin though

I feel the same. I'll be on a 'high' - progressing so much and being really pleased with myself, then one morning I'll be getting dressed or one night I'll be ready to sleep and then suddenly the anxiety and panic would hit me. It's really strange isn't it? I used to get bullied from 11-14 and I never had anxiety back then, it's just as I got older and began being more independent. Maybe that's just because we're maturing a lot more so we face new challenges. I don't know. I know the feelin though

Aye, it is quite strange really. Although I've never had anxiety quite as bad this past month though. I've suffered from health anxiety over the last couple of years, which probably doesn't help when my brother and mum can be slight hypochondriacs sometimes (especially my brother), and I have a dad who often gets paranoid that his stress symptoms are real problems (he has a heart problem he was born with, so he has to be careful, but sometimes can be too careful and missreads stress signs). However, recently I've been getting more general anxiety too and previous ones have gotten worse.

Can anxiety be genetic? Just because it seems my family suffer from it a lot, as a kid I never understood why they had it and found it odd, until I started experiencing it myself.

I also get that thinking I'm progressing thing with mood swings as well really, some days I feel like I'm progressing and controlling myself a lot better and then out of nowhere one day I just get annoyed at something even if its trivial, I just have to let it out or it bothers me and sometimes it comes out the wrong way or I snap without thinking and it all goes down the drain. :/ I have actually gotten better, but it still hasn't quite stopped.

Hm, i think they say anxiety is a lot more likley to start developing in mid/late teens and young adults, young kids are a lot less likley to suffer. I'm not sure if this is true or not, I might be making it up, but I swear I heard that somewhere, which would make a lot of sense.
(edited 11 years ago)
You can tell me the symptom. If you have health anxiety, you're most likely to believe it is worse than it is. And because you think it may be anxiety - it probably is. Do you have any coping strategies for when you feel anxious?

I have a tendency to jump to horrible conclusions so usually my coping strategy is to rationalise my symptoms and after a while it calms my anxiety. I'm not even sure if what I have is a symptom of anything! It could just be completely normal, I'm sorry if I sound nuts. I see my pulse everywhere when I'm anxious, it's the weirdest thing. I have long hair and I can see the ends 'beating' (obviously not my actual hair but my body causing it to), I can see my pulse on my shirt on my chest, if I hold a piece of paper it beats with my pulse (not shakes, but actually quivers along with my pulse), the clothes on my stomach 'beat' as well. I'm terrified it's arrhythmia. I'd rather not know even if it was, so please don't say if you think it's not normal or healthy. Please just humour me and not say there is anything wrong. Sorry again if I sound crazy! Even though I have health anxiety, I rarely bother my doctor or google symptoms like most sufferers do, but this has been bothering me.
I have a tendency to jump to horrible conclusions so usually my coping strategy is to rationalise my symptoms and after a while it calms my anxiety. I'm not even sure if what I have is a symptom of anything! It could just be completely normal, I'm sorry if I sound nuts. I see my pulse everywhere when I'm anxious, it's the weirdest thing. I have long hair and I can see the ends 'beating' (obviously not my actual hair but my body causing it to), I can see my pulse on my shirt on my chest, if I hold a piece of paper it beats with my pulse (not shakes, but actually quivers along with my pulse), the clothes on my stomach 'beat' as well. I'm terrified it's arrhythmia. I'd rather not know even if it was, so please don't say if you think it's not normal or healthy. Please just humour me and not say there is anything wrong. Sorry again if I sound crazy! Even though I have health anxiety, I rarely bother my doctor or google symptoms like most sufferers do, but this has been bothering me.

It sounds like your anxious reaction of an increased heartbeat is 'tricking' your mind into believing that something is really really wrong, which makes your anxiety worse.

Maybe you should ask your doctor, get an ECG if you can to show to yourself that it's *not* a heart condition, but just your anxiety symptoms (then when it happens again, you can rationalise it)?
Sorry if this has already been mentioned during this thread but I've been using moodGYM and it's really helpful so far:

http://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome
Reply 3151
Starting sixth form on Tuesday :woo:

So excited but also anxious at the same time. Mainly anxious because on he first day of Year 11 I vomited outside the school :frown: no one saw me but I'm extremely scared that this might happen again and someone might see me.
Original post by Leelad
Starting sixth form on Tuesday :woo:

So excited but also anxious at the same time. Mainly anxious because on he first day of Year 11 I vomited outside the school :frown: no one saw me but I'm extremely scared that this might happen again and someone might see me.

And if? Okay, he could either think you are ill, but prbably would think: "Oh my god, how can someone get so drunk?". Not the best, but unless you vomit on somebody, the majority won't care, really. Vomiting is known as something which to everyone, often surprisingly.

Concentrate on the good things and eat only stuff that makes you "happy", like your favorite breackfast.

You'll be fine!
Hi guys,

I have horrible anxiety and I feel so low. I'm hoping to start uni afresh...

It's comforting to know that other people feel the same..

xT
Haven't been on here for a while...
Just wondering if many of you told Uni about your anxiety? Starting a Master's in a couple of weeks but I can't help feeling it will be so awkward. Wouldn't even know what to say really, but it would probably help. :redface:
Original post by mikeylfc1989
Haven't been on here for a while...
Just wondering if many of you told Uni about your anxiety? Starting a Master's in a couple of weeks but I can't help feeling it will be so awkward. Wouldn't even know what to say really, but it would probably help. :redface:

do unis provide good student support?
Original post by amyshamblesxx
Sorry if this has already been mentioned during this thread but I've been using moodGYM and it's really helpful so far:

http://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome

that is the coolest and most helpful thing ever. thank you so much.
I am using the site now and it is simply fantastic.
I like many also suffer from social anxiety, I figured this out myself using the Internet but was them confirmed by my doctor. It was terrible at one point and wouldn't even walk the streets alone during the light hours because I always thought people were staring at me. It also made me uncomfortable at school during presentations and my retail job at Asda.
I was offered CBT and went to a couple of sessions, but it wasn't for me. I felt different and silly and didn't think it would help, so I quit. I then spent a long time on JSA, whilst looking for an apprenticeship in Admin as I never felt confident enough to go to University. I think I basically realised that while ever I am living in this anxious/scared bubble I would never get anywhere. So I threw myself into the deep end, walked to work and did the job. The worst part was answering the phones and feeling like I was been watched as I work. I always felt on edge at work and rarely relaxed, especially if my boss was in. After a year working in admin I hated it !! It wasn't for me, and I felt saddened that the job I really wanted, I didn't feel I could do.
However I have joined college to complete an Access course to hopefully go on and study Adult Nursing at Uni. I am pretty proud of myself (as sad as this may sound). I have managed to pick myself up big time. I also start a new job at Next next week so it is all change for me, and all petrifying too, but it has to be done !
I still get anxious and I know at work I will feel the same as I have at all my other jobs but I hope in time I'll become more confident at my workplace.

One question I do have is... Does anyone who suffers experience dramatic mood change quickly. One minute I can feel confident, happy and content and then say for example when I got a call saying I have the job at Next can I go for an induction, I instantly feel scared, lonely and uneasy. How can I control this ?

Thanks in advance and sorry for waffling!
Original post by Trottoir
that is the coolest and most helpful thing ever. thank you so much.

You are welcome! I find it's really good for breaking everything down into little chunks that you can rationalise and make sense of :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest