The Student Room Group

Renault Clio 2003 Using Too Much Fuel?

Okay, so you've gathered I'm driving a Renault Clio 2003, blah blah.

The car has done really well for me the last 18 months. However, for the last 6 months or so it's been using ridiculous amounts of fuel! (it's a petrol).

I used to get by on £80 a month, which got me 800 miles (approx.) That went down slightly as fuel prices have gone up.

This month, for example, I have spent £80 and barely done 600 miles.

Another instance was when it did 200 miles on a whole tank!

I've not really done much about this problem. Cars are expensive and I've had enough on my plate with school work. But as I'm almost free, I want to get it sorted.

I changed the air filter a few months ago, and that has helped, but not solved the problem by any means.

I don't think it's 'running rich' either, but I could be wrong.

One thing I will say though, is that it has silly service intervals, something like 18,000 miles or 2 years, so it may be worth getting it serviced over the summer.

I'm looking for a number of things I can do here for next to nothing. Garages around here can charge just £40 to diagnose a problem :redface:

Thanks in advance, I'll do my best to answer any further questions.

EDIT:

Fuel tank is definitely not leaking.

I am generally an economical driver.

It's a 1149cc (1.15/1.2)
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Check that the fuel tank does not have a leak. If you leave something under it overnight, see if it collects fuel, that should tell you if the tank is leaking. Check out all the fuel lines too, as the are more likely to have problems.
Learn ways to conserve fuel; simple things like not going straight from accelerating to braking is a good place to start.
I have a 1.4 Golf and it costs me £60 for 400 miles. I still wouldn't be complaining!
Reply 4
Original post by zigzog7
Check that the fuel tank does not have a leak. If you leave something under it overnight, see if it collects fuel, that should tell you if the tank is leaking. Check out all the fuel lines too, as the are more likely to have problems.

Original post by Rascacielos
Learn ways to conserve fuel; simple things like not going straight from accelerating to braking is a good place to start.

Reply 5
Original post by Jackasaurus Rex
I have a 1.4 Golf and it costs me £60 for 400 miles. I still wouldn't be complaining!

It's a 1.4 though :P

Mine is technically 1149cc.
Original post by jackf1337
It's a 1.4 though :P

Mine is technically 1149cc.

True, I also drive like a tw*t.
Reply 7
True, I also drive like a tw*t.

haha, fair enough.
Reply 8
Okay, so you've gathered I'm driving a Renault Clio 2003, blah blah.

The car has done really well for me the last 18 months. However, for the last 6 months or so it's been using ridiculous amounts of fuel! (it's a petrol).

I used to get by on £80 a month, which got me 800 miles (approx.) That went down slightly as fuel prices have gone up.

This month, for example, I have spent £80 and barely done 600 miles.

Another instance was when it did 200 miles on a whole tank!

I've not really done much about this problem. Cars are expensive and I've had enough on my plate with school work. But as I'm almost free, I want to get it sorted.

I changed the air filter a few months ago, and that has helped, but not solved the problem by any means.

I don't think it's 'running rich' either, but I could be wrong.

One thing I will say though, is that it has silly service intervals, something like 18,000 miles or 2 years, so it may be worth getting it serviced over the summer.

I'm looking for a number of things I can do here for next to nothing. Garages around here can charge just £40 to diagnose a problem :redface:

Thanks in advance, I'll do my best to answer any further questions.

EDIT:

It's a 1149cc (1.15/1.2)

I have the same car. Cycle through the trip computer and get to MPG. I manage 55mpg in an urban area, thats using it back and forth to college everyday and trips on weekends etc. I get by on 10 quid a week.

P.S mine is petrol also.
Reply 9
Original post by Sim188
I have the same car. Cycle through the trip computer and get to MPG. I manage 55mpg in an urban area, thats using it back and forth to college everyday and trips on weekends etc. I get by on 10 quid a week.

P.S mine is petrol also.

How do you do that?

If I press the long pointy button thing, it just resets the trip clock. 55mpg urban is ****ing awesome!

I thought the Renault Clio 2003 averaged 35mpg on duel carriageways/motorways etc.

How far is your college? My school is about 10 miles each way, work is about 18.
Reply 10
How do you do that?

If I press the long pointy button thing, it just resets the trip clock. 55mpg urban is ****ing awesome!

I thought the Renault Clio 2003 averaged 35mpg on duel carriageways/motorways etc.

How far is your college? My school is about 10 miles each way, work is about 18.

Ahh thanks :tongue: I just push the clutch in when I'm slightly catching up with someone, and also stick it in 5th when I hit 30 and stop accelerating

Trip computer button is on your right hand stalk. Right on the end. Push it in and it cycles through different views like miles to end, mpg, miles since last fill up etc.

On the motorway what kind of revs do you hit for 72/3 mph? In 5th mine makes a god awful racket and goes around 3.5k, which worries me slightly haha
Reply 11
Original post by Sim188
Ahh thanks :tongue: I just push the clutch in when I'm slightly catching up with someone, and also stick it in 5th when I hit 30 and stop accelerating

Trip computer button is on your right hand stalk. Right on the end. Push it in and it cycles through different views like miles to end, mpg, miles since last fill up etc.

On the motorway what kind of revs do you hit for 72/3 mph? In 5th mine makes a god awful racket and goes around 3.5k, which worries me slightly haha

I see, interesting technique...

Right hand stalk... as in the windscreen wiper thing? Hmmmm, not sure if mine has that facility... It yours an expression model?

Yeah mine does 3.5k too, although it doesn't start making a racket until I go up to 80ish
Reply 12
I see, interesting technique...

Right hand stalk... as in the windscreen wiper thing? Hmmmm, not sure if mine has that facility... It yours an expression model?

Yeah mine does 3.5k too, although it doesn't start making a racket until I go up to 80ish

It sounds brutish but it works haha. high gears = great efficiency

Yeah windscreen stalk. At the tip there should be a button with three grey dots on it.
No mine is an "Extreme" model, which may explain why mine has it. I don't know what's extreme about it though haha :tongue:

Oh ok good. 3.5k revs isnt dangerous is it? I just never go above 2.5 when i'm driving on normal roads.
Reply 13
Original post by Sim188
It sounds brutish but it works haha. high gears = great efficiency

Yeah windscreen stalk. At the tip there should be a button with three grey dots on it.
No mine is an "Extreme" model, which may explain why mine has it. I don't know what's extreme about it though haha :tongue:

Oh ok good. 3.5k revs isnt dangerous is it? I just never go above 2.5 when i'm driving on normal roads.

Yeah I usually drive in 5th at 30.

Ah I see, I don't think mine has that. I'll check next time I drive.

Nah 3.5k is fine imo, unless you want to go at 50 :P Try not to go about 5.0k though :P
Reply 14
Bumping for more solutions
If it just suddenly happened, check the O2 sensors.

Otherwise check the condition of the spark plugs, clutch and make sure none of the brakes are sticky.
Reply 16
When did you last have the car serviced?

Change the oil and the oil filter, and clean out the spark plugs. That should make a big difference if it has been a while :smile:
Reply 17
Yeh, was about to say the lambda sensor could be out. Do you carry a lot of crap in the boot, like tools or other heavy paraphernalia?
Reply 18

£100 for me to do 400 miles. Mine's a 3.5 though... :tongue:
Original post by JC.
£100 for me to do 400 miles. Mine's a 3.5 though... :tongue:

You're being too light on the throttle :biggrin:

Cost me £135 to fill my tank, not from empty though usually head for the pumps when the warning light comes on. Get around 450 miles to a tank, nothing beats the joy of having a V8 :biggrin: Though I must say I'd love to have a V12 next.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending