The Student Room Group

Vac Schemes 2012: The early bird catches the firm!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 12blahblah
Has anyone heard back from Clydo & Co about the MERO vac scheme (Dubai based)?

Thanks x

Yes, unfortunately I didn't make the cut for this summer's MERO vac scheme - I'm sure that the lack of news in your case is most likely good news!

I do hope that means an offer - it sounds like a great experience!
Reply 2961
anyone heard from shoosmiths yet?

also still waiting on Clyde & Co and Charles Russell... anyone in same boat?

oh and did anyone apply for Reed Smith re-opening?
Reply 2962
RPC got back to me (interview on the 15th). Rejected (with an open day) despite the associate saying to be in the interview 'this has been a really fantastic interview, you're exactly what the firm is looking for', pretty gutted after 100% rejections.
Original post by crimples

also still waiting on Clyde & Co and Charles Russell... anyone in same boat?

oh and did anyone apply for Reed Smith re-opening?

Still waiting on shoosmiths, they said by 5pm today right? I'm starting to loose hope not having heard by now, I assume they do all the offers before rejections
Reply 2964
Original post by crimples

Not yet.

though I'm expecting a PFO. just had a look at my app & it seems I have not entered the start & end date of one of my w/e. hoping they won't notice this though. :colondollar:
Reply 2965
Original post by bc91
RPC got back to me (interview on the 15th). Rejected (with an open day) despite the associate saying to be in the interview 'this has been a really fantastic interview, you're exactly what the firm is looking for', pretty gutted after 100% rejections.

Don't get down about it. Even if you're "exactly what they're looking for", the problem is that they only have a few spaces to play with and there could have been other people that were exactly what they were looking for, too. At least you know you're on the right lines.
Shoosmiths PFO
Reply 2967
shoosmiths telephone interview! never had one of these before... is it basically like a normal interview but on the phone?
Reply 2968
Original post by beepbeeprichie
Shoosmiths PFO

same here. I'm actually gutted. even if I made one minor omission, on the whole I thought my application was very very good.

that's 100% PFO for me. I genuily don't know what to do now..should I bother applying for training contracts??
Original post by buddie
same here. I'm actually gutted. even if I made one minor omission, on the whole I thought my application was very very good.

that's 100% PFO for me. I genuily don't know what to do now..should I bother applying for training contracts??

Yeh, I've almost received all my rejections (all 20 of them).

My advice (and what I'm going to do is) apply for Training contracts (1. What's to lose? 2. As it said in that PFO your chances may be much higher for TCs). If that fails I'm going to find a job in another profession.

Good luck!
8 PFO's now, feel more and more like giving up each time!
Original post by livelovelaughx
8 PFO's now, feel more and more like giving up each time!

See it out. Nothing worse than regret.
Reply 2972
Original post by buddie

if you've got rejected before interviews everywhere then have a look at your cv - for me, when i got all pfos last year I figured it was because I had no legal work experience, and nothing extraordinary enough in the rest of it to make up for it. I organised work experience with really ordinary/local firms and stuff and this time round got 6 interviews (even if failing after that point...!) i would try and address cv things by doing casual work experience/even a day's shadowing, or maybe something EC if you're lacking there... I don't see that much point in applying to TCs without changing something first, at least in my experience.
Original post by bc91
if you've got rejected before interviews everywhere then have a look at your cv - for me, when i got all pfos last year I figured it was because I had no legal work experience, and nothing extraordinary enough in the rest of it to make up for it. I organised work experience with really ordinary/local firms and stuff and this time round got 6 interviews (even if failing after that point...!) i would try and address cv things by doing casual work experience/even a day's shadowing, or maybe something EC if you're lacking there... I don't see that much point in applying to TCs without changing something first, at least in my experience.

It's well known that many firms have many more TCs available than Vacs. I received an email from a firm confirming this only today.
Reply 2974
Still nothing from Clyde & Co. AC 2 and a half weeks ago for a vac scheme starting on Monday. I'm assuming the worst, but i dont know! And they weren't there to answer my call...
Reply 2975
Offer from SNR Denton!
Original post by beepbeeprichie
It's well known that many firms have many more TCs available than Vacs. I received an email from a firm confirming this only today.

This does seem to be a fact that you hear a lot, although I'm not sure which firms it is the case for (although I believe that there are some). All the ones I applied to take on more vac schemers (over the course of the year) than they have TCs. I suppose the difference is that people can accept several vac schemes but only one TC, possibly increasing your chances of a TC over a VS.
Original post by Old Reliable
This does seem to be a fact that you hear a lot, although I'm not sure which firms it is the case for (although I believe that there are some). All the ones I applied to take on more vac schemers (over the course of the year) than they have TCs. I suppose the difference is that people can accept several vac schemes but only one TC, possibly increasing your chances of a TC over a VS.

Either way, it's pretty grim out there.
BTW has anyone heard anything re Eversheds post interview?
Original post by bc91

Hey, I got rejected too post interview with an invite to the open day. In the interview I asked how many places there were on their scheme and they said not many so they put some good candidates on the open day instead.
It means we weren't the best, but second best. I went to a careers advisor at my uni about a month ago and was told that due to the competitive nature of vacation schemes and how few places there are in general, a lot of firms view open days as being just as good as the vacation schemes. Keep positive! We're on the right track.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending