This discussion is closed.
Alien
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Hi im a little stuck on this question. Ive done the first bit, im stuck on the answer phone bit. Does anyone have any pointers?advice they could give me?

Question

On Monday Humphrey advertises in the London “Daily Blub” that he will give £1,000 reward to anyone who writes to him, at an address given, with information as to the whereabouts of his missing wife, Gloria. On that day, Jeremy, an illiterate tramp, meets Gloria in York and she tells him that she regrets leaving her husband and would return if she could be sure that she would be welcome. Jeremy is greatly moved by her story and asks Marvin, who is going to London on Tuesday, to visit Humphrey and talk to him. On Wednesday morning, Jeremy learns of the reward. That lunchtime, Marvin meets Humphrey and tells him of Gloria’s whereabouts.

On Wednesday night, Nigel, who knows of Humphrey’s advertisement and who has been travelling the country in search of Gloria, leaves a message on the answerphone at Humphrey’s office stating Gloria’s whereabouts. On Thursday morning he posts a letter to Humphrey confirming the information. Humphrey has placed an advertisement in Thursday’s edition of the “Daily Blub” withdrawing his offer of a reward.

Discuss the issues of offer and acceptance raised by the above scenario.
*dave*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Alien)
Hi im a little stuck on this question. Ive done the first bit, im stuck on the answer phone bit. Does anyone have any pointers?advice they could give me?

Question

On Monday Humphrey advertises in the London “Daily Blub” that he will give £1,000 reward to anyone who writes to him, at an address given, with information as to the whereabouts of his missing wife, Gloria. On that day, Jeremy, an illiterate tramp, meets Gloria in York and she tells him that she regrets leaving her husband and would return if she could be sure that she would be welcome. Jeremy is greatly moved by her story and asks Marvin, who is going to London on Tuesday, to visit Humphrey and talk to him. On Wednesday morning, Jeremy learns of the reward. That lunchtime, Marvin meets Humphrey and tells him of Gloria’s whereabouts.

On Wednesday night, Nigel, who knows of Humphrey’s advertisement and who has been travelling the country in search of Gloria, leaves a message on the answerphone at Humphrey’s office stating Gloria’s whereabouts. On Thursday morning he posts a letter to Humphrey confirming the information. Humphrey has placed an advertisement in Thursday’s edition of the “Daily Blub” withdrawing his offer of a reward.

Is this undergrad?
Alien
Yes im 1st year law
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Alien)

Question

I havn't got time for this right now but it's really not that difficult.

How is an acceptance communicated? By answerphone and by post. What are the rules of acceptance in these regards? By which method, if any did Nigel effectively communicate his acceptance.

Was the acceptance invalidated? Look at the retraction end of the equation. Was the advert retracted too late? (ie did Humphrey have legal notice of acceptance before he retracted the ad) Or was it on time? In which did he retract it before acceptance; in which case was his method of retraction (by newspaper ad) valid?

The best way of tackling these type questions is to start by drawing a horizontal bar chart showing what events happened when. Once you can visualize this you can apply the law to each event and see what, if any, impact this has on the next event.

Piece of cake!
Alien
ok thanx irl give it a try
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Alien)
ok thanx irl give it a try
Copy it to me when you're done and I'll give you my opinion based on everything I learn't about contract law acquiring my law degree (3rd class!)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (105)
43.75%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (39)
16.25%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (91)
37.92%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
2.08%

Watched Threads