The Student Room Group

Quetiapine / Seroquel

I had a psychotic episode on Sunday and my psychiatrist decided to prescribe Zopiclone and Quetiapine. I took the Zopiclone on the Monday night and started the Quetiapine on Tuesday evening which my psych said had sedative properties that would help me sleep anyway, this was part of the reason she chose this tablet. I had 25mg on Tuesday evening and had to go to 50mg last night. Problem is, I feel like I've been heavily sedated. I don't have the energy to move and could quite easily sleep all day. This is saying something considering I was only sleeping a few hours a night and got restless whenever I went to bed before I started on the antipsychotics. Is this effect likely to last? Is it normal? I've spent the last 16 hours asleep... has anyone else experienced this with Quetiapine? Considering that some people are on like... 300mg a day and I'm only on 50mg, why is this having such a massive effect? I haven't even needed to take the Zopiclone after having it the one on Monday.

Advice appreciated :smile: xx
Reply 1
My friend's mum once told me the same thing, so I'd say it's fairly normal.
Reply 2
I was only on quetiapine very briefly, but from what I've heard it is fairly normal to feel sedated from it. It will probably wear off, but if in a couple of month's time it hasn't, you might want to ask about switching to another drug.
I was on 600mg a day :tongue:

It was very very sedating for me as well, but it did wear off a little over time so try to put up with it for now and see if it wears off. You might not need to bother with the zopiclone if the quetiapine is knocking you out sufficiently, might be preferable actually (of course, talk to your doctor about this, never stop meds without talking to them).

What you might want to watch is weight gain, antipsychotics are notorious for causing people to put on vast amounts of weight so bear that in mind if you find yourself more hungry than usual. Try to eat healthily and exercise to minimize any weight gain.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sabertooth

What you might want to watch is weight gain, antipsychotics are notorious for causing people to put on vast amounts of weight so bear that in mind if you find yourself more hungry than usual. Try to eat healthily and exercise to minimize any weight gain.

How likely is it that I gain weight if I don't eat much? I'm not anorexic and I don't have an eating disorder, but people pretty much describe my food intake as that of a baby bird O_O I eat healthy food and I do exercise but is there still a risk that weight gain is possible? If so, how? Does the medication slow down metabolism or increase appetite?
:tongue:
Original post by xManipulativee
How likely is it that I gain weight if I don't eat much? I'm not anorexic and I don't have an eating disorder, but people pretty much describe my food intake as that of a baby bird O_O I eat healthy food and I do exercise but is there still a risk that weight gain is possible? If so, how? Does the medication slow down metabolism or increase appetite?
:tongue:

I think for me it slowed my metabolism. I was pretty depressed and not eating much because I couldn't be bothered to make food and also I played intensive sports a lot and still put on nearly 2 stone in a few weeks. It was insane amounts of weight. Saying that though, meds affect everyone differently, so it may not do that to you. In any case you're on it for a reason so don't stop taking it, if you start to notice yourself gaining weight then go back and talk to the doctor who can switch you to one less likely to make you gain weight.
Reply 6
Oh my goodness, where do I begin with quetiapine! I was prescribed it when I was an IP on an ED ward due to insomnia and excessive exercise. Normally, i'd go to bed at 3am and wake up at 6am. But after taking quetiapine, I fell asleep at 6pm and slept all the way to 8am. I had to be wheel chaired down to snack in the evening because I couldnt wake up and walk down. I dont even remember having snack which for me is pretty impressive! It was really odd. I felt like a zombie for quite a while and I was taking it in the morning too, so I was knocked out for a while! But the effects do wear off after a bit.
Zopiclone had a simular effect with me. But it didnt last during the day, just knocked me out at night. But I find it makes me feel drunk and I halucinate. I will quite often sit watching my walls and bunches of flowers because they look like they're moving!!!
Reply 7
Knocked my ****ing head off for the first few weeks I took it - and still find any dose changes renders me zombie-like for nearly a fortnight. Quite normal from what I understand...
I'm on 400 daily. It stillmakes me stoned most of the time but is bearable. I've been on it for a year and still manage to sleep an excessive amount.
I've tried quetiapine twice; both times I was extremely drowsy and ended up sleeping most of the day AND the night. I think it's a pretty common symptom, but if you can't put up with it like I couldn't, you should talk to the psychiatrist about trying something different.
Reply 10
The reaction from Quetiapine is usually more prominent when you have not had any antipsychotic in the past but some can get used to it. Additionally, Zopiclone can make you sleep and perhaps it is what your body needs to get pass through the psychotic episode and recharge your battery. If symptoms persists and stopped you from functioning, ask your doctor as there are a whole lot of medication option.

Quick Reply

Latest