The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The fact that its one of the biggest investment banks in the world!

They are one of two companies who gross the most profit when it comes to major aquisitions of other companies.
They're also (which is an understatement) elitest to the hilt. But then I guess others would be as well.
Reply 2
walshie

They are one of two companies who gross the most profit when it comes to major aquisitions of other companies.
They're also (which is an understatement) elitest to the hilt. But then I guess others would be as well.

Well, I cant say I want to work for GS because ur one of the biggest :smile: but anyway thnx, the later part of ur reply was helpful
Reply 3
Well if you did work there, be prepared or even forced to like Americans. Even the women who think they have a point to prove and are all on power trips.
Not saying I dislike Americans by the way!!!
Reply 4
walshie
Well if you did work there, be prepared or even forced to like Americans. Even the women who think they have a point to prove and are all on power trips.
Not saying I dislike Americans by the way!!!

LOL,if i get in I will pretty much like everyone there
Reply 5
There big stake holders have bundles of dosh. 200million ish if you beleive what the rich lists say.
walshie

Define big. Generally, they are not seen as 'big'. Their balance sheet is pretty small compared to other banks (like Citi, DB, UBS, JPM) because GS is a 'pure' IB.

[quote]They are one of two companies who gross the most profit when it comes to major aquisitions of other companies.

Private equity? I'd of thought KKR et al would be better than GS. Private equity is a small but profitable business anyway which might not be the one applied to.

Hmm... not sure. But I can see where you are coming from.
angelx
Can anyone please give me some ideas on what differentiates Goldman Sachs from any other major players?

Err... define major players.

They define themselves differently from many IBs by their business model - but they see their primary competition as those IBs with the same business model. At that point, it is the strength is different divisions and the structure of divisions (GS has done some restructuring lately between the market side and the advisory side).

There are some 'culture' differences. If you ever watch the GS video, you'll see what they really bang on and on about.

--------------

angelx
Well, I cant say I want to work for GS because ur one of the biggest :smile: but anyway thnx, the later part of ur reply was helpful

Well, if GS was one of the biggest, it could form a reason why you want to work for them. Being big comes with advantages.
They are very very sparkly and full of very amazing people.

And very sparkly. And very nice people.

And shiny. Like, super-super-people. And focused. And sooo efficient. I could worship their revenue charts - it's hard to believe they can accomplish so much with barely over 20,000 employees - like how?

*GS love*
Megsy
They are very very sparkly and full of very amazing people.

And very sparkly. And very nice people.

And shiny. Like, super-super-people. And focused. And sooo efficient. I could worship their revenue charts - it's hard to believe they can accomplish so much with barely over 20,000 employees - like how?

*GS love*

The ultimate mark of GS is that it converted Megsy to IB :p:
Reply 10
Because they work. Very hard. My brother used to leave the house at 7am and come back at 2:30am.
JonnyB
Because they work. Very hard. My brother used to leave the house at 7am and come back at 2:30am.

Not uncommon for IBD across the industry.

synaesthesia
The ultimate mark of GS is that it converted Megsy to IB :p:

She'd of converted over time anyway. I'm pretty sure of it.
Reply 12
JonnyB

Depends what your brother was doing. Where was he based by the way - and I mean which office? GS main London HQ was pretty much dead apart from the security from around 8pm. The odd person still persevered until targets are met or they feel they've made enough of a bonus for the quarter to justify leaving lol.
Stockbrokers where out of there by 6pm every day at the latest. Ok, so they got their early, but much of their day was based on analzing rather than trading.

GS is big in terms of IB. Period.
And elitest is definitely unquestionable.
Reply 13
walshie
Depends what your brother was doing. Where was he based by the way - and I mean which office?

I'd go and ask him to come up and type what he did, but he'd tell me to **** off. He doesn't work there anymore anyway, things may have changed - I doubt it though.
President_Ben
She'd of converted over time anyway. I'm pretty sure of it.
Especially if say, a particular European IB wants to sponsor me...

*insert plug*

:love: UBS, I love you! (the whole GS love thing is just a lie to get you jealous...)
Megsy
Especially if say, a particular European IB wants to sponsor me...

*insert plug*

:love: UBS, I love you! (the whole GS love thing is just a lie to get you jealous...)

You're still a long way from securing sponsorship yet you know - it's only been application stage :smile: What is the case study like this year?
President_Ben
You're still a long way from securing sponsorship yet you know - it's only been application stage :smile: What is the case study like this year?
I can live in hope :p:

Case study - are you sure you're not thinking of the ML Challenge?

Anyway, UBS: Very nice questions!

1. How should quality of life be measured?
2. "The social responsibility of business is to increase its profits" (Milton Friedman). Discuss.
3. Is there any role for protectionist trade policies?
Megsy
I can live in hope :p:

Case study - are you sure you're not thinking of the ML Challenge?

Anyway, UBS: Very nice questions!

1. How should quality of life be measured?
2. "The social responsibility of business is to increase its profits" (Milton Friedman). Discuss.
3. Is there any role for protectionist trade policies?

Last year, UBS sent people a case study type thing to do after the application stage. Now it's a few Economics questions... lovely!

I know ML is a case study. It is such a huge waste of collective time and effort too :smile: Which industries are available to choose from? (assuming it is similar to last year)

1 can be very tricky what with a variety of indicators and an increasing amount of evidence you see from econometrics studies that challenge the conventional wisdoms. 2 is fairly straight forward. 3 is a case of finding a nice and advanced textbook to examine when protectionist trade policy can work - and work well.
President_Ben
I know ML is a case study. It is such a huge waste of collective time and effort too :smile: Which industries are available to choose from? (assuming it is similar to last year)
Energy, luxury goods, pharma, real estate, insurance. We're doing energy! I've put together the best team in Oxford. It's gonna be supeeerb.
Megsy
Energy, luxury goods, pharma, real estate, insurance. We're doing energy!

All different from last year - but with 37 recognised sectors, that's not a surprise really.

Real estate and insurance though - think they'll be the least popular. Luxury goods and energy on the other hand are likely to be very popular.

I've put together the best team in Oxford. It's gonna be supeeerb.

I see problems emerging :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending