This discussion is closed.
DonnaB041986
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
ok, i know i'm thinking ahead...
does anyone know if i be able to study physics postgraduate (eg phd) if i had studied straight maths at undergraduate level? its not as if the subjects are completely different, but the only info i can find is on specific uni websites which ask for a good undergrad degree, but dont mention the subjects.
i only want to know because i need to decide between maths at cambridge or maths and physics at manchester (please dont start the whole 'you shouldnt have applied to cam if u werent commited to it' argument, ive read it all in the oxbridge subforum). If i went to manchester and studied both, i'd be able to do physics postgrad, but i dont know if i would if i did straight maths.

Donna
-x-
kosine90
Report 17 years ago
hi =) i really want to know about that too.. but you're going to take pure math? i'm not sure about that... if you're taking applied math, probably you can do something in theoretical physics afterwards.
Radagasty
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by DonnaB041986)
does anyone know if i be able to study physics postgraduate (eg phd) if i had studied straight maths at undergraduate level? its not as if the subjects are completely different, but the only info i can find is on specific uni websites which ask for a good undergrad degree, but dont mention the subjects.

i only want to know because i need to decide between maths at cambridge or maths and physics at manchester. If i went to manchester and studied both, i'd be able to do physics postgrad, but i dont know if i would if i did straight maths.
If you wish to pursue physics at postgrad level, isn't it reasonably to begin at undergrad level?

FWIW, though, I've been accepted to read for a PhD in semiconductor physics having done an undergraduate degree in electrical engineering. So it is possibly to change fields, although electrical engineering does have quite a lot of physics and I would say elec. eng. and semiconductor physics are not entirely unrelated.

Also, applied maths and theoretical physics are grouped together in Cambridge as the DAMPT, though I don't know if this is indicative of anything.

I will say this, though... whatever you do, it would be most helpful if you could at least take physics to first year level. That will give you something to build on for your PhD.

Also... just another thought... if you do your PhD in the US, your undergrad field does not matter so much, as PhD programmes there are generally preceded by a year or two of coursework, and people do really come form quite diverse backgrounds, in that case.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (57)
4.77%
Uncertainty around my education (184)
15.38%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (132)
11.04%
Lack of purpose or motivation (171)
14.3%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (52)
4.35%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (68)
5.69%
Loneliness (101)
8.44%
Financial worries (40)
3.34%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (57)
4.77%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
4.68%
Lack of real life entertainment (64)
5.35%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (106)
8.86%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (108)
9.03%

Watched Threads