The Student Room Group
Reply 1
mik1a
I've heard of it a lot but I've never known... and I think I would be interested as I want to go to Oxford of Cambridge... :confused:

It's a combination of Oxford and Cambridge - OX(ford)(cam)BRIDGE, so it doesn't actually exist.
Reply 2
mik1a
so there's a forum about a non-existent combination of 2 universities...

what about an oxbridge list?
i've heard things about being on this list, what does it mean if you're on it?

I mean there is no actual university called Oxbridge. Instead of saying Oxford and Cambridge all the time people jjust say Oxbridge because they are supposed to be very similar. DOn't know what you mean by the list.
Reply 3
mik1a
so there's a forum about a non-existent combination of 2 universities...

No, it's a forum to talk about entry to and life at both of them. Dunno about the lists thing though.
cam and ox are usually talked about together, because they have a similar academic reputation + standards, both interview all candidates they are considering after looking at application forms (very rare, almost unheard of, to be accepted without an interview), both have a collegiate system (u apply to one college within cambridge/oxford, such as trinity, new hall etc rather than the uni itself) and theirs a silly rule that if u apply to one, u cant apply to the other.
despite this, there can be big differences in the courses - like cam not offering physics where as oxford does.

Donna
-x-
Reply 5
mik1a
One of my friends said you have to be on this list to be able to go to one of them, and since i want to go to one of them I got a bit concerned.

So basically this is just for oxford and cambridge?

Well, this forum is just for talk about the two, yes, cos people on the main boards were getting annoyed about the level of obsession with the two universities, which even I must say can get a bit disturbing.

The list thing is nonsense - I've never heard of it, and I am at Cambridge. Maybe it's something in your school, but certainly the unis don't have lists of people who can apply and lists of those who can't.
DonnaB041986
cam and ox are usually talked about together, because they have a similar academic reputation + standards, both interview all candidates they are considering after looking at application forms (very rare, almost unheard of, to be accepted without an interview), both have a collegiate system (u apply to one college within cambridge/oxford, such as trinity, new hall etc rather than the uni itself) and theirs a silly rule that if u apply to one, u cant apply to the other.
despite this, there can be big differences in the courses - like cam not offering physics where as oxford does.

Donna
-x-

Donna, you can do Physics through the natural sciences course - which is the way that all the science subjects they offer get routed. Although if you meant that you can't take just physics modules all the way through or something, I apologise:smile:
mik1a
I've heard of it a lot but I've never known... and I think I would be interested as I want to go to Oxford of Cambridge... :confused:

'oxbridge' is what is discussed in such places as uk-learning...

Latest

Trending

Trending