OCR B Physics AS... anyone else think the text book is totally irrelevant?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
h_cube3000
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
I was wondering if anyother students studying AS Physics (OCR B), that finds the book totally irrelevant (that it contains a huge amount of unnecessary crap). And also any A2 Physics OCR B students that did the AS paper and what they though about it.

I am thinking about dropping at physics AS as I find it extremely boring (Topics such as Sensing and Materials). I should be getting an A at AS Physics but the books brags on, and I cant distinguish between the bits that I need to learn and understand and the irrelevant info. (for the exam). I am so confused!! Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. (Does anyone know a successful method in revising the topics? Like the yellow boxes in the text book?)!

Thanks
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Consider youself lucky that it is a doss exam board and so maximise your advantage and get better marks in otehr subjects.
h_cube3000
really? are you serious? isn't AS level supposed to be harder than GCSE? lol, u say it so casually, like for example "im going to change my bulb". I feel that a different learning style is required here. Like for example, for Maths and further maths are just endless practise, Chemistry and Biology is just understanding and learning the content... but physics is, I feel, so different. Also, the teacher makes it seem so boring (I even try to make myself interested in it but it never works)..... Most of the questions in the text book have nothing to do with the content like "Work out the number of ions hitting an atom in a beam every second". Is everything thats required in the exam present in the text book "Advancing Physics"?
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
And more besides....

The textbook is bad, I'll warrant that, But you do coursework, and so one less module at the end of summer. So its allright I think.

The course is badly designed. (even though my head of Physics-Phil Britton designed the course) But whos to complain? The universities see it as any other exam, but I see it as more-general knowledge than anything else.

My physics t4eacher guessed that you can probably score around 60% without any physics knowledge at all. That is worrying.
Sue!
Report 17 years ago
The best way to revise is to use the student checklist on the CD-Rom
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Consider youself lucky that it is a doss exam board and so maximise your advantage and get better marks in otehr subjects.
heh heh heh, that was definitely my easiest A, partly due to my interest in physics, partly due to the exam being so "good". stay in there h_cube.
hattori
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
it's the easiest exam ever. If you can attempt the questions on the cd-rom the exam is just so easy, just make sure you do it quickly.
Lemovitch
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It's a free AS! In the exam about half the marks involve plugging numbers into equations given in the formula book. Apparently A2 gets nasty though.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
heh heh heh, that was definitely my easiest A, partly due to my interest in physics, partly due to the exam being so "good". stay in there h_cube.
You only have partial interest in physics? Yet you are doing a degree in it. The irony...
h_cube3000
wow, u lot made me so confident now! thnx
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
You only have partial interest in physics? Yet you are doing a degree in it. The irony...
a partial interest in physics isnt as bad as a third orer non-linear partial differential equation
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (105)
43.75%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (39)
16.25%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (91)
37.92%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
2.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise