The Student Room Group

Dissertation Grade

Poll

What did you get?

I was talking to my supervisor yesterday, and he says that they are more stingy with the grades they give dissertations. I'm interested in what the average dissertation grade is.

It would also be interesting to know if your dissertation grade was lower, higher, or more-or-less the same as your other marks.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

So you're asking what people received in their dissertation to find a TSR average - to clarify?

This won't be particularly helpful to you but fair enough :smile:

I will answer for a mate :h:
Reply 2
Original post by paddy__power
So you're asking what people received in their dissertation to find a TSR average - to clarify?

This won't be particularly helpful to you but fair enough :smile:

I will answer for a mate :h:

Yeah, i cant find anything about it online. For every other module my uni put up the % of candidates who scored different grades in each year, but they dont do it for dissertations.
Original post by Callipygian
Yeah, i cant find anything about it online. For every other module my uni put up the % of candidates who scored different grades in each year, but they dont do it for dissertations.

It's all good :smile:

To my knowledge they are marked more strictly than normal essays but people put a lot more effort in so the distribution of marks is still reasonably similar to other modules. TSR is likely to be above the average as well of course.
Reply 4
I got 73 for mine which was about the same as most of my other marks.
I got 67% overall, which was about what I would normally get. On my feedback sheet my supervisor marked it as 1st class standard, yet my second marker marked it as a 2.ii. Personally I don't understand how it can vary so wildly but there you go.
Reply 6
Original post by myblueheaven339
I got 67% overall, which was about what I would normally get. On my feedback sheet my supervisor marked it as 1st class standard, yet my second marker marked it as a 2.ii. Personally I don't understand how it can vary so wildly but there you go.

No third marker with such a discrepancy?!!

[Supervisor are often moire generous for various reasons, for example reading more into the work than is there because of the chats you have had, second markers only have what is in the dissertation to go on.]
Original post by Cyborgasm
No third marker with such a discrepancy?!!

[Supervisor are often moire generous for various reasons, for example reading more into the work than is there because of the chats you have had, second markers only have what is in the dissertation to go on.]

Nope it wasn't third marked!

I think that had I had more constructive feedback on my draft I may have been able to push it over the boundary. However my supervisor said that it was pretty much fine as it was and suggested very few changes. I did get 76% on the presentation portion of the project though which I was very happy with, unfortunately it only counts for 10%.
Reply 8
Original post by myblueheaven339
Nope it wasn't third marked!

If it still worries you then you could follow this line with the University, check your handbook to see what is says should have happened with this divergence of marks.

However, it would be unlikely to raise your 67% enough to make a first (assuming relatively standard weighting/grading practise).

Out of interest was this a Russell Group University?
Reply 9
I just voted to see the average - I didn't get 90% in a dissertation, just so you know - I just tried to vote for the least likely one, sorry
Original post by Cyborgasm
If it still worries you then you could follow this line with the University, check your handbook to see what is says should have happened with this divergence of marks.

However, it would be unlikely to raise your 67% enough to make a first (assuming relatively standard weighting/grading practise).

Out of interest was this a Russell Group University?

I'm not too worried as the mark for the report would have to go up quite a lot for my overall mark to go up as other parts of the project make up the overall grade. I just feel it is a huge difference of opinion and would like more detailed feedback to try and understand why! I do feel however that my supervisor has done well to get me a high 2.i mark considering the second marker wanted to give me a 2.ii. No it wasn't a Russell Group uni, it was UEA.
Reply 11
I got an A for both my undergraduate and masters dissertations which was in line with what I usually got. Our grades weren't given as percentages.
Reply 12
Original post by lenalouiseh
I just voted to see the average - I didn't get 90% in a dissertation, just so you know - I just tried to vote for the least likely one, sorry

You could've just clicked on 'View poll results' without having to vote...
Reply 13
i got 60% on my actual dissertation which was worth 60% of the module ...so for my dissertation module i got overall 62% ....(sixty effing two kmt all those trips to my supervisor)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by aeterno
You could've just clicked on 'View poll results' without having to vote...

Yeah I see that now :\
Reply 15
I got 87% on my dissertation (92% from my first marker, 82% from my second marker). Incidentally, this was higher than all my modules for the year (and at least 15% higher than all but two of my modules). I screwed up a lot of exams this summer due to the dissertation deadline being so close to exams (I had my first exam on the deadline date) so compared to first and second year it's actually quite consistent with my other grades (for computer science at least).
For my actual dissertation I got 88%. But it was only one part of a double credit module, and I got 76% overall for that.

Either way I got an A :smug: Was very pleased with that. It was hard work, but at the same time very enjoyable.
66. Which was average with my other grades.

Actually, my overall coursework average was 68, but that's artificially high as I got 78 for 2 essays, where ordinarily my coursework grades were almost all either 66 or 67
(edited 12 years ago)
Dunno, haven't had my transcript yet.
Reply 19
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Dunno, haven't had my transcript yet.

please tell us soon

Latest