The Student Room Group

Abortion

Abortion: what do you think of it? should it illegal? do you think it is right that people can now get them in the lunch time? at what point does the baby get its "life"? at conception or some other time? and has anyone had an abortion?

answers to any of these questions would intrest me immediately
(no religious views please)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No scientific views as well please.

I think abortion is morally wrong.
'Bigcnee'
No scientific views as well please.

I think abortion is morally wrong.

why on both counts? the only reason i put in about the religious views is to that some fanatic doesnt start quoting proverbs at me
Reply 3
I don't think it should be illegal, but perhaps it shouldn't be so readily available privately (so that effectively, if you don't want a baby, you can get rid of it). I am in favour of choice.
Reply 4
Speciez99
why on both counts? the only reason i put in about the religious views is to that some fanatic doesnt start quoting proverbs at me

1) I don't want some "know-it-all" calling an unborn child a "bunch of cells".

2) In a nutshell, it is legalised murder.
'Bigcnee'

when do you think the sperm cell and egg cell become a human then? i am presuming conception since other wise surely they are still cells?

its not legal if the foetus doesnt have full human rights, the baby is still a potential life rather than a life and thus has potential rights
Reply 6
Bigcnee

What about in cases like rape, or VERY young girls - like 12 or 13????
Reply 7
i don't really agree with it - but i definitely don't think it should be made illegal
*Riz*

Well for the poor girls the abortion would be as traumatic as having a baby.

I really don't know... I guess that abortion should only be allowed in cases like that, really. Or maybe with kids who are going to have really bad disorders.
Speciez99
Abortion: what do you think of it? should it illegal? do you think it is right that people can now get them in the lunch time? at what point does the baby get its "life"? at conception or some other time? and has anyone had an abortion?

answers to any of these questions would intrest me immediately
(no religious views please)

people should be given the choice - it really depends on the person's circumstance - if i was in a v. difficult and desperate situation i think (even though i think it's morally wrong) i'd consider abortion.
Reply 10
Speciez99
when do you think the sperm cell and egg cell become a human then? i am presuming conception since other wise surely they are still cells?

its not legal if the foetus doesnt have full human rights, the baby is still a potential life rather than a life and thus has potential rights

A baby in the womb is a 'potential life'. Therefore, killing it would be preventing the existence of a future human being, and is effectively pre-emptive murder. However, equally, contraception prevents human life on exactly the same scale, as does abstinence, in fact. Actually, if you're not having sex all the time, then you're preventing the existence of future human life and are therefore a murderer.
Mr White
Actually, if you're not having sex all the time, then you're preventing the existence of future human life and are therefore a murderer.

right :rolleyes:
the cases where i have seen abortion morally justified are:

women who have been raped
where the foetus's contiuned exsistance will kill the mother
and where the women did not want the child and used contraception to prevent it but was let down by it

however im not sure if anyone can justify abortion where it is through lack of care that the women got pregnant
does anyone know how much an abortion costs todays since if its so expensive this seems a arguement against the fact women just casually have one.
Reply 13
I think a woman should have the right to choose.
'jammyd'
I think a woman should have the right to choose.

what gives the women the right to choice, the fact she is older? the only reason would be is the fact that its her body, however if she realised that she might get pregnant and didnt take any prescautions against that then she is saying that she want the child and thus has no right to choice as she has already made her choice surely...
Reply 15
*Riz*

Unfortunately so. Abortion works on an all or nothing basis.
Reply 16
Bigcnee

Take back the night, Bigcnee. You can't dictate what must be done in every situation with one big umbrella-bracket law. Surely exceptions must be made?
Reply 17
Bigcnee

Abortion is OK as long as the unborn child is not too developed. However, when it is in the "bunch of cells" stage, I don't think it can be really classed as a human, as it is just a bunch of cells. It may become a human if it is allowed to develop that far, but abortion is often the only way to prevent many problems when the baby is born, such as the baby being unwanted and having a miserable life as a result.
Reply 18
Speciez99

About 'potential rights' - I don't understand why a foetus's status as a potential human being gives him human rights (which is as one of the main arguments against abortion). He is not a full human being yet and hence he should not be treated as such.

Prince Charles is a potential King, yet no-one would dream of giving him therefore regal rights. Similarly, a foetus is a potential human being, which does not mean he should have human rights.
'Bigcnee'

i think it is all or nothing and think it should be allowed, girls who have been raped should not be forced to have the rapist child even extreme pro life groups acknowledge, that inculding the catholic church

Latest

Trending

Trending