This discussion is closed.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
No fireworks where I am. My last post pretty much answers this post.
they've stopped. Anyone in cambridge would know what i was talking about. these were fireworks that made the trinity may ball look like kids bangers
J
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
By one DS suffer amongst millions.
We arent just talking about people with DS here.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
they've stopped. Anyone in cambridge would know what i was talking about. these were fireworks that made the trinity may ball look like kids bangers
J
I'm in Southampton at the moment. You should have seen the state when the QM2 sailed for the first time. It went on for about an hour for two nights, someone told me they spent over a million over the two nights they werer going off, it was crazy.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 17 years ago
I'm in Southampton at the moment. You should have seen the state when the QM2 sailed for the first time. It went on for about an hour for two nights, someone told me they spent over a million over the two nights they werer going off, it was crazy.
they spend a million on the launch, but couldn't spend a few grand on safety at the family inspection. Corporate pr*cks
J
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Kirtsy Howard is symbolic have how superficial our society is. She hasn't got downs (for anyone whos isn't familiar) she was born with a very nasty heart defect. As a result she has lots of tubes and stuff going into her
She is however an exceedingly cute and lovable child able to melt any heart. Hence why she invoked infinately more support and fundraising than any downs child ever could.
J
Actually, I'd never heard of Kirsty Howard and so to satisfy my curiosity took the opportunity to do a quick search. It seems she is "Little Kirsty Howard, the face of Didsbury’s Francis House hospice" who recently celebrated her seventh birthday with a huge fund-raising bash.

Is this your idea of the mentally impaired contributing to society Joey? Being used as a "front" in fundraising campaigns?

I must admit I'm disapointed. I'd imagined a DS sufferer in her 20's who was able to independently raise millions for a good cause. That's the impression you gave me.

As it is, the only example you can scrape up is a 7 year old mentally handicapped kid who is the "face" of a campaign. Pathetic.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Actually, I'd never heard of Kirsty Howard and so to satisfy my curiosity took the opportunity to do a quick search. It seems she is "Little Kirsty Howard, the face of Didsbury’s Francis House hospice" who recently celebrated her seventh birthday with a huge fund-raising bash.

Is this your idea of the mentally impaired contributing to society Joey? Being used as a "front" in fundraising campaigns?

I must admit I'm disapointed. I'd imagined a DS sufferer in her 20's who was able to independently raise millions for a good cause. That's the impression you gave me.

As it is, the only example you can scrape up is a 7 year old mentally handicapped kid who is the "face" of a campaign. Pathetic.
A front for a charity who puts the money to good use.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

Your pathetic. Sure she is used as a front, but if she raises millions of pounds that could help others she is making a very valuble contribution to society. O.k she is being used but so are celebrities advertising products. At least people like Kirsty Howard are giving back to society and not keeping the money to themselves.

Once again, we are not just talking about DS. You seem to have an obsession with this particular disability.
TELEPATHICTUBBY
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
abortion is ok in some case e.g. little Mo's in E.enders.
material breach
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
the issue of whether the child will have a good/bad quality of life if you consider the situation i was trying to describe is less of an issue i think personally than everyone on this thread is making it:
one where the parents cannot afford to look after the child ie dont want a mental handicapped child and the child is not going to be adopted abortion surely is the best option
surely its more the parents choice intially
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
J
They were indeed absolutely massive, shook the windows of my room. I could see them in my kitchen, which looks south; and from the sound delay they weren't very far from where I am. What's south of Mem court on the Queen's Road that would be having fireworks that big today??

Anyway, I digress...

Just a statistic for you all - in 1999 (sorry, we couldn't get any more recent data) only 1% of abortions were performed because of genetic defects in the foetus. It's really not a very high proportion.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
A front for a charity who puts the money to good use.
Agreed. But Joey said that some folks with DS or mental impairment contribute as much to society in 20 years as others do in 100. He can't back it up. Kirsty's example is not one of contribution. It's a cheap trick designed to tug at the emotional heartstrings of donors to a charity.

I do not consider using these folks as unwitting fronts as an example of DS sufferers, or the mentally impaired, independently contributing to society.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Agreed. But Joey said that some folks with DS or mental impairment contribute as much to society in 20 years as others do in 100. He can't back it up. Kirsty's example is not one of contribution. It's a cheap trick designed to tug at the emotional heartstrings of donors to a charity.

I do not consider using these folks as unwitting fronts as an example of DS sufferers, or the mentally impaired, independently contributing to society.
True, it might be a slight exaggeration about the 20 year thing. But we can no doubt see that in the "wild" as it were these DS people would have been rejected by society-in the past when we were evolving, and pretty much died out.

Interesting to see the effect of a similar disease on the monkey population and its effects.
material breach
Rep:
?
i feel that abortion is used to often, whether you agree or no over whether the foetus is a person it certainly has is gonna be one given that nothing goes wrong ie miscarrage ect and so people should think alot more about how they have sex and think abit more about the consequences rather than embarking on one night stands without protection
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

I actually used the words 'they could' and I never mention DS. Again you seem to have an obsession with this disability.

Of course its a contribution. She is using the fact that people are willing to give to charity because of her courage to raise money for others. Others being part of society.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
True, it might be a slight exaggeration about the 20 year thing. But we can no doubt see that in the "wild" as it were these DS people would have been rejected by society-in the past when we were evolving, and pretty much died out.

Interesting to see the effect of a similar disease on the monkey population and its effects.
I certainly wasnt exaggerating. We will take individuals. One will only live for twenty years but contributes by raising millions for charity in the process helpings hundeds if not thousands of people. The other lives until 100 but lives on the dole most of their life and gives nothing back to society.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Your pathetic. Sure she is used as a front, but if she raises millions of pounds that could help others she is making a very valuble contribution to society. O.k she is being used but so are celebrities advertising products. At least people like Kirsty Howard are giving back to society and not keeping the money to themselves.

Once again, we are not just talking about DS. You seem to have an obsession with this particular disability.
Well, we were talking about DS. The fact that you can't follow a thread is your problem. So what are we talking about now Joey? Mental illness more generally? Whatever.

Notwithstanding.

Yes, Kirsty is making some contribution to society. The same sort of contribution that a dog that might make as a front for a campaign to stop animal cruelty. Sure, the dog's making money. But not willingly, and not knowingly.

If you think that this is the same as a concsious effort to contribute (and your original line of argument was that these folks can contribute as much in 20 years........blah blah blah by which I assumed you meant these folks actually doing something for themselves) then you might want to go see a doctor.

And of course she's giving the money back to society. She's a seven year old with a mental age of what.......2? What did you think she was going to do, invest the money in the options market?
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I actually used the words 'they could' and I never mention DS. Again you seem to have an obsession with this disability.

Of course its a contribution. She is using the fact that people are willing to give to charity because of her courage to raise money for others. Others being part of society.
"Her courage" That's just the sort meaningless **** put out by fundraisers.
material breach
Rep:
?
I certainly wasnt exaggerating. We will take individuals. One will only live for twenty years but contributes by raising millions for charity in the process helpings hundeds if not thousands of people. The other lives until 100 but lives on the dole most of their life and gives nothing back to society.
not a very good comparison, its like comparing international rugby player with the local pub football player and giving that as evidence for a higher level of skill in rugby.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The other lives until 100 but lives on the dole most of their life and gives nothing back to society.
Yes, now that you put it in context. Same can be said of prisioners, etc etc.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well, we were talking about DS. The fact that you can't follow a thread is your problem. So what are we talking about now Joey? Mental illness more generally? Whatever.

Notwithstanding.

Yes, Kirsty is making some contribution to society. The same sort of contribution that a dog that might make as a front for a campaign to stop animal cruelty. Sure, the dog's making money. But not willingly, and not knowingly.

If you think that this is the same as a concsious effort to contribute (and your original line of argument was that these folks can contribute as much in 20 years........blah blah blah by which I assumed you meant these folks actually doing something for themselves) then you might want to go see a doctor.

And of course she's giving the money back to society. She's a seven year old with a mental age of what.......2? What did you think she was going to do, invest the money in the options market?

I made my comment, from that point we were refering to people with disability in general because I said nothing about DS in my post. If you want to get padantic, most of your posts are also useless because the original topic is about abortion.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (206)
42.83%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (74)
15.38%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (193)
40.12%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.66%

Watched Threads