This discussion is closed.
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
I certainly wasnt exaggerating. We will take individuals. One will only live for twenty years but contributes by raising millions for charity in the process helpings hundeds if not thousands of people. The other lives until 100 but lives on the dole most of their life and gives nothing back to society.
The only example you've given me so far is that of a 7 year old with a mental age of 3 who doesn't even know she's contributing. Doesn't it occur to you that Kirsty might not actually "choose" to go on fundraizing events with Victoria Beckham? Christ knows.......who would?
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
"Her courage" That's just the sort meaningless **** put out by fundraisers.
You seem to have a big problem with fundraisers and charities. They use emotive language for a reason.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The only example you've given me so far is that of a 7 year old with a mental age of 3 who doesn't even know she's contributing. Doesn't it occur to you that Kirsty might not actually "choose" to go on fundraizing events with Victoria Beckham? Christ knows.......who would?
Your losing a fighting a losing battle. I proved you wrong and this post proves that.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I made my comment, from that point we were refering to people with disability in general because I said nothing about DS in my post. If you want to get padantic, most of your posts are also useless because the original topic is about abortion.
We weren't talking about "disability in general" Joey. We never were. We were talking about DS in the context of it being an acceptable reason to abort.

We then progressed on to talking about whether DS sufferer's

a) enjoyed the same quality of life and
b) contributed as much as non DS sufferers

What, when a post develops into a larger argument/side issue etc do you expect me to do? Sit back and wait until the thread metamorphasizes back into it's original form or continue the debate?
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Your losing a fighting a losing battle. I proved you wrong and this post proves that.
No. I've won.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
We weren't talking about "disability in general" Joey. We never were. We were talking about DS in the context of it being an acceptable reason to abort.

We then progressed on to talking about whether DS sufferer's

a) enjoyed the same quality of life and
b) contributed as much as non DS sufferers

What, when a post develops into a larger argument/side issue etc do you expect me to do? Sit back and wait until the thread metamorphasizes back into it's original form or continue the debate?
Your cluthing at straws now.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Your cluthing at straws now.
You have lost.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Please people. Lets not resort to flaming. And Howard, whats America's legal position on DS?
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Please people. Lets not resort to flaming. And Howard, whats America's legal position on DS?
Don't know actually.
material breach
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
would you want a child if u knew you were gonna have to leave your job to look after it, it would probably live to an age of 30 if lucky, be supsepitable to dieases, require constant care and it was a result of a bad mix of genes which meant that if you were to have a 2nd child the child wouldnt have their problems in their life
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Speciez99)
would you want a child if u knew you were gonna have to leave your job to look after it, it would probably live to an age of 30 if lucky, be supsepitable to dieases, require constant care and it was a result of a bad mix of genes which meant that if you were to have a 2nd child the child wouldnt have their problems in their life
Yes. Despite the fact it would be tough, i'd want to have that child.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Speciez99)
No.
blissy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
When I was little one of my best friends was a 20 year old man with Downs Syndrome. Unfortunately he died last year, but he was a wonderful person and he really enriched my childhood. I don't know what I would do if I knew my child would have Downs Syndrome though, I suppose I'm just too selfish (not necessarily using just the bad connotations).
material breach
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Howard do u see any circumstances where abortion is not morally correct?
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 17 years ago
Your pathetic. Sure she is used as a front, but if she raises millions of pounds that could help others she is making a very valuble contribution to society. O.k she is being used but so are celebrities advertising products. At least people like Kirsty Howard are giving back to society and not keeping the money to themselves.

Once again, we are not just talking about DS. You seem to have an obsession with this particular disability.
the money isn't going to her, and never was. There is no real monetary altruism on her part. Lets face it. she gets to see all the famous people on tv, and live the rest of her days (hopefully a full life) comfortably.
J
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 17 years ago
Yes. Despite the fact it would be tough, i'd want to have that child.
And how would you react if your girlfriend said she wanted to abort it, because she didnt want the responsibility?
relieved?
J
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
the money isn't going to her, and never was. There is no real monetary altruism on her part. Lets face it. she gets to see all the famous people on tv, and live the rest of her days (hopefully a full life) comfortably.
J
Which is a good thing.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
And how would you react if your girlfriend said she wanted to abort it, because she didnt want the responsibility?
relieved?
J
My girlfriend shares the same beliefs as me on abortion, we are both catholic. And no disgusted.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
My girlfriend shares the same beliefs as me on abortion, we are both catholic. And no disgusted.
And do you follow the rest of the catholic dogma? Hmmmm...
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
And do you follow the rest of the catholic dogma? Hmmmm...
No. I take what I believe to be morally justified in the catholic faith and try my best to stick by it. There are many morals which are outdated, I dont stick by them.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (206)
42.83%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (74)
15.38%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (193)
40.12%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.66%

Watched Threads